Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
JoT

Bugs On The Wall

i guess i know who 'mould' disinfecting company who quoted u $1200. fyi $800 without much furniture. I think the disinfection is kinda B.U.L.L SH1t, wasted $ and no guarantee. That time I was very upset. Finally decided to repainted whole house before CNY 2012.

So I paid 3 sporean painter labor fee (salary) x 2day. I bought 15L Nippon Oil base sealer primer 5170 (for Ceiling, Wall, door frame, main door + 10L Nippon EasyWash White for Ceiling + 15L Nippon Odorless Sail White 1114 ($74.90x3) + 1L Aqua Water base Metal/wood paint (main door, + 3 door frame) + 3 turpentine, 1 thinner, some protection sheet (cover furniture, washing machine etc). Free delivery. Before The painters come to my house to repaint. I sandpaper & scrap away all existing paints from walls in both rooms (took me 1 week to finish). On the day of painting, The painters will bring their own brush, roller, tape, protection to cover floor when painting. You have to watch them paint and in case they forget to paint and u can remind them to do so. U need to prepare 2-3 pail for them to use. They don't bring tray. Their skill is not bad, quite okay due to cheap labor. Not for fussy people if u want them to repaint your house. He will go to your house and give u a quote and he will bring 2 painters. Total repaint whole house cost less than $900. Their skills are not bad.

$800 to paint MBR and common toilet so expensive. It is not enough, u have to repaint whole house so booklice will die. Telling you ALL PAINTING COMPANY don't used oil base sealer primer. Because most painters dislike oil base sealer primer smell. It is very very smelly, u will choke, even my next door weird neighbor cannot stand the smell as the smell goes to their house. Smell like a dead rat. They need at least 2 days to complete painting (1st day paint oil base sealer to all wall, all ceiling, door frame, toilet pipe, all doors, 2nd day actual painting). I was quoted $1500 using Nippon Paint without sealer by my friend's dishonest friend who want to earn commission and painters also want to earn. I LL to reject his offer and called my friend and scolded him upside down and delete his hp no.

I HATE DISHONEST PEOPLE. Singapore can't make it one so many dishonest shop and bad service in Singapore.

Your Questions:

1.why the painters told me that water need to be added to paint? I told them not to add water because I have mould problems in the MBR. I told them that I will supply as much paint as they need but just not to add water!excl.gif Is it true that water needs to be added???

Not sure, but I heard from my father that usually painters added water or turpentine for easy painting. Previously I engaged painters they added some turpentine into Oil Base Sealers. They never added turpentine into Nippon Odorless EasyWash/Nippon EasyWash cos no need to add. I also will not allow them to add water/turpentine into Nippon Paint. But Oil base sealer need to add some turpentine.

2. Is your Nippon paint (antimould) low sheen as well? I found that Nippon paints for anti mould are all low sheen. If I repaint the whole house later using the low sheen anti mould paint, I wonder if it will look awful? I know most of the time, matt paint is considered 'nicer' for walls. You have any pictures of your house using this low sheen paint??

I bought New Color Sail White Nippon Odorless EasyWash 1114 (Homefix selling $80, colorland selling $74.90) have low sheen. I think they have matt color.

Nippon low sheen are you refer to abit shinny type? It look nice even if it is low sheen. All my wall + ceiling can wash cos EASYWASH leh. haha.

Now bug free. I don't give them a ****. I also painted outside corridor near my corridor windows. haha.

It is so easy to diy but really very tired. Recently I installed inverted system 2 and aircon trunking so ugly so I DIY (paint myself), use green color Nippon sponge roller to paint aircon trunking, big white board (painted oil base sealer first). I removed picture from cherry color room door with paint remover. I painted door with bulls eye water based primers + going to paint Nippon Aqua water based white gloss paint + door frame to white.

my house especially mbr very humid and everyday I have to on 20L dehumidifier 3-4hrs to suck moisture. This dehumidifier very useful as it suck moisture into water. so my pub slightly increased. Also i abit kiasu, I go daiso buy 800ml/400mlx2 moisture absorbent to put each cabinet. I wonder why bukit batok flat so humid. Why my next door neighbor never open their window? I not sure their house got bug or not. I shower cold water. After shower I usually will clean the floor to dry to make sure it is not wet. I also using dry sheet to clean my floor, i seldom wet mop the floor. I using Delphine vacuum cleaner weekly but it is super noisy. I guess my neighbor can hear it. Wall so thin. Old resale flat = NO GOOD ONE.

I not sure my house too humid is it cos I staying low floor so I put insect mesh screen in common room 1 panel window, master bedroom 2panel window, kitchen 2pantel window so even if i open windows for well ventilation, flying insect won't fly into my house. Sealed rubbish chute (had to throw rubbish downstair). I hardly see cockroach. Haha. If i saw I spray them to dead. I very timid i scared cockroach. I dislike raining days cos my house will be very humid and damp so have to on 20L dehumidifier.

If u want the contact after reading above, I can pm you his hp no. U can call him and ask him to go to your place. They using my ladder and his 1 ladder too. Fyi Not for fussy people cos their rate is reasonable and cheap not expensive.

It's been 2 month since I painted whole house and so far so good, now bug/lice free.

Hi Dean,

Just wondering if your house still have book lice problem after repainting your whole house?

I am fighting a losing battle for the past few months and thinking to repaint my whole house now.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Dean,

Just wondering if your house still have book lice problem after repainting your whole house?

I am fighting a losing battle for the past few months and thinking to repaint my whole house now.

Problem resolved. Turn On dehumidifier and turn on aircon. Outside corridor wall have mould. Jurong town council problem. Whole block not coated new paint.

Hello,

I saw these small bugs, which are either booklice or mouldmite, i dont have mould, flat is pretty new so I think its booklice. My flat is tiny. 1 bed and super cold. Havent cared much but went crazy after i saw them on makeup brushes/ clothes i wore, lamps. Been noticing them but in really tiny numbers like 1 or 2 a month. However, after i left flat for 4 months in summer, came back to a totally infested flat. Tried fumigation 3 times on every. Single. Thing!!! Sprayed, wiped walls with bleach and cleaned everything with mould control, dehumidified the house, took out all foods. Dry cleaned all clothes and laundered the rest at highest temp. Ruined my clothes .Changed sheets,, brought steam clean company. NOTHING CHANGED.  NOTHING WILL CHANGE. Made sure my ventilation worked! Paid for portable air con!! I spent almost £7,000  on trying to live comfortably. They never went away. Kept coming back. Infested all my items again. Now i have to pay the same price + moving and new flat costs. Honestly, my advice is if you can move, do so. I have one heck of a job to make in packing all my stuff and disenfecting them before moving to my new flat+ cleaning all my clothing items again. It is a hassle but if you have a bug phobia like me, dont spend anything on trying to get rid of these buggers.  Just move out. Theyre tiny so its really hard- almost impossible to get rid of them. And my flat was tiny. Imagine a house or a bigger flat? Just glad im leaving the place. Good luck to anyone having this issue. Its a nightmare.

On 12/12/2011 at 1:22 PM, Topspin said:

I have written about mold and these bugs quite a bit last year and earlier this year but not sure why most of the old post is not viewable anymore unless you type out the exact address.

Anyway, I cut and paste an earlier reply to another posting about these bugs:

The tiny wingless insects feed on the mold growing on the wall. I have written quite a bit about my experience with mold and insects in previous replies to others. I suggest the use of Borax solution (mix 2 tablespoon in one liter of warm water). Wet mop the entire wall to clean off any mold first. Change the solution often during the cleaning phase as the water will get very dirty. Once the wall is clean, you may wipe over one last time with clean borax solution and leave it to air dry. The borax residue will prevent mold from growing and thus wipe out the food source for the insect. Repeat the wet wipe once a month at least or until the problem goes away. As the ceiling is very hard to reach, I would use a paint roller moisten with borax solution to roll over the ceiling to maintain a layer of borax crystals on the ceiling surface. You can do this to the upper part of the wall also.

You cannot buy borax powder in Singapore as they are controlled to prevent food manufacturers adding it to the food like noddles and dumpling illegally. I buy them from US websites instead. Don't cost much.

Don't vacuum the mold unless you have a true HEPA vacuum cleaner as they will just blow spores out of the exhaust to other parts of your house. The mold can cause a bad allergic reaction if they are inhaled, such as itch or asthma.

Control the mold early as once they become widespread in the house, it is very very hard to control. The spores find its way into your clothes, curtains, books, furniture, false ceiling, leather, wall paper or anything that the mold can feed on.

If your neighbour beside you or above you is in the habit of switching on their air con full blast for the whole day, it will make your side of your wall/ceiling cool. The coolness will cause moisture to condense on it and promote mold growth. Of course if you also switch on air con on your side of the wall, the condensation problem goes away. If you cannot keep up with your neighbour's air con hours, there is only one solution...go talk to them about your condensation problem on your wall/ceiling.

This post has been edited by Topspin: 14 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

I wander if UV light kills all these bugs. ANYONE TRY BEFORE. Please share. Thanks in advance.. 🙏

On 12/12/2011 at 1:55 PM, JoT said:

Tks for the advice. Jus wondering, will the repainting of the walls solve the problem too? Cause I had some water leakage problem n had to repaint some walls n strangely there's no bugs on these newly painted walls.

I had repaired my house because of such problem but recently it come again. I think also due to the continual raining and wet day. 

Now, I am try to put UV light in the wardrobe to try if it can eliminate these insect. Anyone had tried with UV? Pleade share. Thanks

On 12/12/2011 at 2:27 PM, Topspin said:

From my personal experience, those anti mold properties in the paint don't last very long. If the environment is condusive, mold will grow on it again. I personally prefer regularly "maintaining" the surface with borax. It doesn't cost anything really, compared to having to repaint the ceiling/wall.

Agreed. Those anti mold paint may only treat the under layer. But, mold still form on top layer if the room is moisture. Especially during raining days that across several days or weeks.