Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
euphony

Minimalism

Dear board users, I too have been lurking in digital shadows for sometime now. I really liked quite a few projects that's showcased here. My top fav: little white house! I too will be embarking on such an endeavor on my own soon and documenting it here to showcase, to seek counsel and refine my concept/idea. I like it that so many users here are so resourceful and helpful.

Having said that, my circumstance is quite unusual. Firstly, even though my work comes predominantly in SG but because it is very flexible, I have opted to live across the straits in JB instead. So this is where the process will happen. Perhaps even stranger, I'll marry the process by getting furnishings both from JB as well as SG. Even considering specialty contractors from both sides as I want the best of both worlds. I guesstimate this process might eventually provide a fertile ground for research for future projects of users of this board!

And to add to that, instead of doing it in 1 shot. I want to spread it out through a longer period whether it be home furnishing or renovations (& living in it in simultaneously). A lot of people rush the whole process, bang bang bang, finish and move on with life, I want to spend time doing research and choosing the options that fit into my reno/furnishing motif not the other way round. The process itself to me is an enjoyable one as some say its the journey not the destination, those who read Dan Ariely will fully understand what I mean. So tada, here it is, my 1st post.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

7e31d5162636_1_V550.jpg

This is the floorplan, I nipped off the interweb. I purchased the house a few months back. It was a very long process with lots of thinking and heated discussions amongst friends and family before arriving at this juncture. The project is completed and it is semi-furnished. The good thing is that the kitchen is already built in. So are the lights, fans, air-con and wardrobe. But still I want to change some of the fittings in time to come. And there are a lot of things I would like to modify plus carpentry ideas too. Am excited at what is to come. For those curious about the project.

Edited by euphony

The concept: I would like to turn the place into a dictionary definition of minimalism. Hiding away nips and bips and having only the absolutely essential but these must have a deeply aesthetic appeal. I chanced upon this project located in NY and I thought that is exactly what I mean!

Hi Euphony,

Thanks for taking the effort to do this.

I too am planning to buy a house in JB and commute daily to work in Singapore (you're definitely not alone in making this lifestyle choice!). I see you bought a place at Leisure Farm? I have narrowed my choices down to a few places, and LF is one of them.

Don't be discouraged by the possible lack of responses here; I registered this account just to show support! I really look forward to seeing your journey!

More pics please!

Thanks! wow am touched by your support and encouragement. I hope you'll find your dreamhouse in time to come. Will definitely be adding in the photos in the days to come. Been busy scouting some furniture houses in SG to source for ideas and prices after scouring JB's equivalent.

Hi Euphony,

Thanks for taking the effort to do this.

I too am planning to buy a house in JB and commute daily to work in Singapore (you're definitely not alone in making this lifestyle choice!). I see you bought a place at Leisure Farm? I have narrowed my choices down to a few places, and LF is one of them.

Don't be discouraged by the possible lack of responses here; I registered this account just to show support! I really look forward to seeing your journey!

More pics please!

Hi euphony,

Thanks for sharing your process with us. I can't wait to see some pictures. It's actually a rather brave choice to buy a house in Malaysia as I can't imagine myself commuting past the customs on a regular basis. Having said that, I have friends who make the daily commute.

Interesting video... I feel that minimalist concept can appear a tad cold especially if you can afford space. But I'm sure you can inject some warmth... Take your time in the reno which is what I plan to do as well. I believe in enjoying the process and not be rushed into certain decisions.

Cheers Blackcookie! Truth be told, the commuting lifestyle will only fit those with very flexible schedules. I am lucky that mine is. For example a commute from door to door to say Clementi takes me about ~30 minutes of driving. Still there are also those who will do the due diligence hitting peak traffic in and out everyday.

Also glad to have found another person who thinks alike about the reno process.

Hi euphony,

Thanks for sharing your process with us. I can't wait to see some pictures. It's actually a rather brave choice to buy a house in Malaysia as I can't imagine myself commuting past the customs on a regular basis. Having said that, I have friends who make the daily commute.

Interesting video... I feel that minimalist concept can appear a tad cold especially if you can afford space. But I'm sure you can inject some warmth... Take your time in the reno which is what I plan to do as well. I believe in enjoying the process and not be rushed into certain decisions.

Right I guess I better put in some pictures. I think over the next few months or so, I'll put in some projects I've found all over the interweb as canvas for me to finalize my decisions either furnishings or carpentry works. Wouldn't be hiring an ID because I have a pretty clear idea of how I want my place to look like, will be doing tons of research and will be closely supervising any works that is to happen. The following set of photos are how the front side looks like. This was taken circa June 2011. Since then more neighbors have shifted in. Am thankful to have awesome neighbors. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help/guide. I've always wondered about the Kampung spirit that was greatly talked about amongst folks of the older generation. I guess this is as close as I can get in the modern day 2011!

house1.jpg

house2.jpg

house3.jpg

Edited by euphony

Thanks! wow am touched by your support and encouragement. I hope you'll find your dreamhouse in time to come. Will definitely be adding in the photos in the days to come. Been busy scouting some furniture houses in SG to source for ideas and prices after scouring JB's equivalent.

You're welcome, although you can be sure I will be bombarding you with questions in time to come! Be sure to take notes! ;)

Right I guess I better put in some pictures. I think over the next few months or so, I'll put in some projects I've found all over the interweb as canvas for me to finalize my decisions either furnishings or carpentry works. Wouldn't be hiring an ID because I have a pretty clear idea of how I want my place to look like, will be doing tons of research and will be closely supervising any works that is to happen. The following set of photos are how the front side looks like. This was taken circa June 2011. Since then more neighbors have shifted in. Am thankful to have awesome neighbors. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help/guide. I've always wondered about the Kampung spirit that was greatly talked about amongst folks of the older generation.

Wow the street and environment look very warm and welcoming! No gates at all? Are you used to this? Do you intend to install window grills?

A word of advice - best to remove the car number, better to err on the side of caution!

You're welcome, although you can be sure I will be bombarding you with questions in time to come! Be sure to take notes! ;)

Wow the street and environment look very warm and welcoming! No gates at all? Are you used to this? Do you intend to install window grills?

A word of advice - best to remove the car number, better to err on the side of caution!

Sure! I try to the best of my ability.

Yea, no gates. I am quite ok with this strangely. Perhaps because I have good neighbors whom I am very thankful for. It also seems to open up the space. As for window grills to my knowledge none of the 200+ units in this precinct has installed any grills. They look very ugly like prison! The precinct is a double gated community (2 security gates, one to get into LF and another one to get into the precinct) with security patrol and house alarm installed with panic button. Which was one of the main criteria when I decided to place my deposit for a unit back then.

Thanks for the minder! I think remove the photo la.

Sure! I try to the best of my ability.

Yea, no gates. I am quite ok with this strangely. Perhaps because I have good neighbors whom I am very thankful for. It also seems to open up the space. As for window grills to my knowledge none of the 200+ units in this precinct has installed any grills. They look very ugly like prison! The precinct is a double gated community (2 security gates, one to get into LF and another one to get into the precinct) with security patrol and house alarm installed with panic button. Which was one of the main criteria when I decided to place my deposit for a unit back then.

Thanks for the minder! I think remove the photo la.

The gated and guarded (or G&G) system is a must for new estates in JB, especially if you're looking to attract Singaporean and investors like us. I didn't know about the panic button though, its a great feature to have if you have the elderly in the house, they can also press it for medical emergency i suppose?

I personally hate grills too, it really spoils the entire aesthetic of the house.

Come Euphony, more pics more pics! I am sure you'll get more responses other than mine with more pics! Can't wait!

I love the no gates thing. The last time I experienced such sense of freedom was when I was living in Toronto. In Singapore, no chance. Not that we're afraid of burglars but it has become social norm to install gates. Forget about the grills, you have no real need for them. But do invest in very good security on top of what they have provided you with. Looks like a great place to raise kids!

PK, I not worried about replies, I think there may be people quietly following the thread so long as its informative. But yes, more pictures. I try to la, want to keep some for the before after effects. So you're thinking about having a weekend house or daily commute?

Blackcookie, I think so too, the kids around here seem to be very happy. My neighbor's little girl has a very big room to herself, can cycle around the estate carefree and has her own toy house in the garden. How long have you been in Toronto? Its a nice place to be at.

Right, the following pictures are taken of the interior of the showhouse a few doors next to my unit to give an overview of the interior. It is quite nice though I thought too much furnishings... These are upstairs.

house6.jpg

house7.jpg

house8.jpg

Edited by euphony