Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
euphony

Minimalism

I think sometimes, I am obsessed with minimalism. I remember the feeling when I was young and buried with academic paraphernalia during term time then transiting to the moment where everything is tidied up after the exams. There was this clarity and freshness and this feeling of possibilities, and positiveness. I chanced upon this video, although completely off tangent but makes a point about minimalism in another dimension. I think minimalism is not only a design concept for renovation. It is a lifestyle, it is behavioral, it is all encompassing.

I am digging deep and using all sorts of materials I can get to color up my drawing board. In the next few days will be putting up more pictures of the surrounding environment. And also starting my research on dining table and chairs. Currently, I am eating off the kitchen built in counter-top and sometimes on an old bean bag next to my old coffee table...

Edited by euphony

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi euphony,

I'm also a silent reader most of the time :)

I like the way you write and I thought your definition of 'minimalism' is so neat - and true - it's a lifestyle, a behavior, all encompassing. That sets me thinking perhaps our choice of reno concepts have alot to do with how we are like really. Like how some people say that our house is a reflection of ourselves.

I think sometimes, I am obsessed with minimalism. I remember the feeling when I was young and buried with academic paraphernalia during term time then transiting to the moment where everything is tidied up after the exams. There was this clarity and freshness and this feeling of possibilities, and positiveness. I chanced upon this video, although completely off tangent but makes a point about minimalism in another dimension. I think minimalism is not only a design concept for renovation. It is a lifestyle, it is behavioral, it is all encompassing.

I am digging deep and using all sorts of materials I can get to color up my drawing board. In the next few days will be putting up more pictures of the surrounding environment. And also starting my research on dining table and chairs. Currently, I am eating off the kitchen built in counter-top and sometimes on an old bean bag next to my old coffee table...

I'm in total agreement with your definition of minimalism. The world is just too cluttered, isn't it? I'm trying to achieve the same concept for my place, but it's not as easy as I thought it would be.

I'm in total agreement with your definition of minimalism. The world is just too cluttered, isn't it? I'm trying to achieve the same concept for my place, but it's not as easy as I thought it would be.

i'm a fan of less is more... but sometime i find it difficult esp your living partner is bit of a mess...

i'm a fan of less is more... but sometime i find it difficult esp your living partner is bit of a mess...

khimwoo,

precisely the reason why I rather stay with my shadow. my two dogs make great companions. :sport-smiley-018:

having said that, i'm sure there are joys that come with partnership. :D

I am glad that a small discussion is kicked up about minimalism.

Yes Rain, I agree the house is a reflection!

Somehow deep down all of us wants to be clutter free but like joshdes/kimwoon/blackcookie mentioned, there are difficulties. Sometimes partner, other times kids or ourselves. Though I think give up we should not. A lot of people equate minimalism with white. Actually, I believe the concept transcends this color pallet. Hardwoord contrasting beige or taupe or gray can work too which is something I am planning to try. Storage I think is extremely crucial when it comes to minimalism so as to hide away the clutter behind the door.

But more importantly, perhaps we could look at acquiring less and giving/recycling/throwing away more of our stuff. I have not bought any new clothes for the past year, and I hope to edit down my wardrobe eventually to be able to fit everything I own into a duffel bag (helps to be a guy in my case I guess?). Last year, I was excited about buying clothes for new year, now I am just as excited counting how much I saved instead.

I first started with an electricity bill of RM70. I then got onto a personal experiment. 2 months ago I got it down to RM28, I just opened my letterbox to see a RM23 bill for last month (no I am not living in abject darkness), and I cook my meals alot. Its about clever reductionism of excesses. In fact this could be a fun 'game' for the kids to teach them minimalism. Don't need to always use the cane or the angry voice.

As for partners, my suggestion is to both agree to designate a 'messy' room (best so that everything could disappear when the door is closed) or corner of the house (an armoire that can fold and hide away). This allows the partner to express his/her individuality whilst keeping it sane for the minimalistic significant other for the rest of the house. By example and by influence, I guess the untidy one will turn over to the 'bright' side eventually.

Right, think tomorrow, I'll write about the electric appliances I would NOT be buying for my place, as a continuation of this discussion. That should be an interesting twist to the usual post about what appliances or furnitures to get.

Edited by euphony

Nice Blog! The older generation tends to hoard stuff and refuse to throw them away even thou its been useless for eon. Hope you can teach a thing or two abt minimalism to my mother-in-law. Cheers!

Nice Blog! The older generation tends to hoard stuff and refuse to throw them away even thou its been useless for eon. Hope you can teach a thing or two abt minimalism to my mother-in-law. Cheers!

Oh oh oh..... U remind me of my FIL. I was shocked when my husband told me his father doesn't allow all of us to give away our old clothes.. Reason: its hard earned money, cant anyhow give away!

FIL literally keeps everything, until it is beyond redemption. In a way, it's good as FIL re-cycles many stuff, good for the environment. But the house is really messy, cluttered... Came from a house with big empty space, I couldnt hide my unpleasant feeling for the first few months. I don't like it when I gotta be sneaky abt clearing old clothes of many years being used for my husband closet, even when I just wanted to give them to charity. Haiz...

My new BTO flat is gonna be ready next yr and husband told me he wants to have lots of storage in the flat. I was like "what?? We only have these stuff in this bedroom now. What makes u think we need more storage? Please don't be like your father!!!" we argued about the importance of storage many times.. Only recently when I inspected my SIL's flat carefully to study how she keeps her two daughters's stuff... I realized I really need more storage for future use, not for present time. Cos I am having a 7 months baby.. And it's already difficult to keep all her toys. Haiz.... And after talking to my dearest, we agree to purchase a better looking storage system, so we can enjoy a nice designed home yet clean n tidy, clutter-free.

Abt teaching kids to adapt to "minimalist" lifestyle. I agree. I don't like the idea of letting the kids be all messy they like, and the parents have to clear-up after that, just below they are kids. And I don't like to store un-used things.. Either give them to ppl who need them more than us, or have to make full use of them. And saving energy is going to be a very important lesson, not just for the kids, but also for adults.

El loco & Piknik (what a cute doggie avatar!)

Both of you bring up a very real and sometimes 'painful' problem. My mum too has this tendency to hoard. I think it is because of their harder working (as in less automation and more manual labor) generation, they treasure their belongings more because it is literally exchanged with blood, sweat and tears. They also tend to live their lives in the past too, distancing themselves away from technology and modern day sophistication.

One good thing is that they are mostly very careful/wary spenders. That is already 1 side of minimalism. Telling them to get rid of things, is more difficult I concede because they look to us younger generation as having to learn from them rather than the other way round. And this I do with my mum. I don't have TV at home.

TV I find takes up space with its associated cable clutter etc plus electricity expenditure. To have a good outfit, one needs to add a good sound system and various accessories like the tivo/dvd-blueray player etc. There aren't really good, bad TV programs anymore these days and TVs are static we can't carry them around. & Unlike digital devices, are not exactly multi-functional. So I downsized to my apple macbook pro and an impending iPad.

I showed my mum how to use it for movies, news sites and online radio. I grab all the household's entertainment needs digitally without the need to buy physical DVDs/blueray discs etc. I explained to her why the choice. So in a way she is forced to pick up the technology since there is no TV to be had. I prevent clutter and she gets bragging rights amongst her auntie friends/relatives. When we chat, I'll always ask her to suggest ways I can cut down and reduce. So it seems as if the idea comes from her, that she is participating in the minimalism process. And I love her for coming through but am also mighty lucky she is quite a neat and tidy person to start off with so its not an insurmountable task for me.

Piknik:

I like it that you have this very socially responsible view about items you do not have use for and pass it on. I think in the future to come bartering instead of buying may be the new economy. As it the talk below.

omg that is so fabulous. I was looking at the photos over and over and over. Thanks! So happy to see a Tblog 'celebrity' on my pages, I have read your wordpress site religiously for sometime now.

you can subscribe to this online mag on ur ipad/iphone [which i did].