Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
euphony

Minimalism

omg that is so fabulous. I was looking at the photos over and over and over. Thanks! So happy to see a Tblog 'celebrity' on my pages, I have read your wordpress site religiously for sometime now.

Hi Euphony, no celebrity lar, just a fellow RT-er and design lover. And thanks for reading my WP blog. :)

Yep, I love the clean look of the apartment too. So far the best example of minimalist interior in a HDB that I've seen. Of course, the owner was willing to sacrifice a room to achieve the spacious feel. I think the original layout is like this, but mirrored:

5I3.jpg

Not sure how well the white epoxy flooring will stand up to the rigors of daily living (and 2 young kids) tho.

I read that you won't be going for a typically minimalist 'white' look? Pros and cons to that, but my suggestion is not to make the place too 'dark' with the combination of wall paint/materials/laminate/tiles. E.g. this apartment uses both dark tiles and wood laminates which makes the place feel much less spacious and darker (but of course, I'm biased cos I like bright and airy interiors...) ;)

SKLIM_RHA_05_WB.jpg

Source: http://sklim.com/projects/field/interior/redhill-apartment/

This apartment also has dark flooring, but the sofa and other furnishing uses a lighter palette which I much prefer: http://www.qeeple.com/pm/211/1821/The+Organic+and+the+Inorganic

Not sure how much natural lighting you tend to get in your place? The middle part of your house may get a bit dark if you use an overall dark palette.

Edited by adidaem

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

you can subscribe to this online mag on ur ipad/iphone [which i did].

thanks, ok i did and am raiding the whole archive. As I write this.

Hi Euphony, no celebrity lar, just a fellow RT-er and design lover. And thanks for reading my WP blog. :)

I read that you won't be going for a typically minimalist 'white' look? Pros and cons to that, but my suggestion is not to make the place too 'dark' with the combination of wall paint/materials/laminate/tiles. E.g. this apartment uses both dark tiles and wood laminates which makes the place feel much less spacious and darker (but of course, I'm biased cos I like bright and airy interiors...) ;)

SKLIM_RHA_05_WB.jpg

Source: http://sklim.com/projects/field/interior/redhill-apartment/

This apartment also has dark flooring, but the sofa and other furnishing uses a lighter palette which I much prefer: http://www.qeeple.com/pm/211/1821/The+Organic+and+the+Inorganic

Not sure how much natural lighting you tend to get in your place? The middle part of your house may get a bit dark if you use an overall dark palette.

cheers. wow you're very resourceful. all these completed projects are dug out from all sorts of websites. I hear you on the 'dark' side. Will be limiting it to my airwell/courtyard which is bathed with light. The wood work is a bit ott I thought although the overall design is very modern minimalistic and agree with you a bit dark.

that's my ex-colleague's house lol. i dunno how minimal it is now the family's bigger with 2 kids.

what a small world!!!

Right I guess I'd continue to write about things I will not be getting for the house besides the TV I mentioned.

1. Dryer. It takes up space and consumes a lot of electricity. I would dry my laundry the old way outside the MBR balcony since I am not planning to use it. I think my challenge is too do it in an aesthetically appealing way.

2. Dishwasher. This one takes up space and also consumes electricity & water. I think this is not a necessity but more an indulgence.

3. Radio. I have got an apple airport express that is hooked up to the speaker where I send my playlist on my MBP to. So this is redundant. I also don't listen to radio anymore.

4. Big fridge. I think a big fridge encourages me to buy more stuff to fill it up. A smaller fridge would force me to plan my grocery shopping and meals for the week. I read that freezer boxes on top or bottom actually saves more electricity than side by sides.

5. Rice-cooker. Multi-function devices are the way to go and this one can be done with a substitute pot I already have. I have found myself using cous cous more than rice these days and the best thing about it, cooking is a 5 minute deal by pouring boiling water over. Fast, minimum fuss.

6. Floorlamps. Am happy my place has already got downlights preinstalled and baths the whole place in warm cosy hue. So I should have none of these although the Mooi designed ones are very very chic.

7. Desktop system. These things takes up space and consume more electricity than laptops, they're mostly static and produce more cable clutter.

8. Bookshelf. I am trying to reduce the number of books I have looking to rotate nice design glossies I can borrow from the library on the coffee table. Book shelves just encourage the owner to buy more books to fill it up. Clutterism.

9. Curtains. They take up space and close up the interior. I guess I am more 'exhibitionist'. I reckon if I were to spend good money to get nice furniture or carpentry works, isn't it better to 'show it off' then hide it behind curtains?

So that's my list for now. Do you have a list of your own too?

you can subscribe to this online mag on ur ipad/iphone [which i did].

Do you have Zinio app? I subscribe to various mags like Dwell, NatGeo n Cosmo using that app.

that's my ex-colleague's house lol. i dunno how minimal it is now the family's bigger with 2 kids.

what a small world!!!

Wow, small world indeed.

Yeah, it's a constant battle with clutter for my place too. Doesn't help that I love to shop...

cheers. wow you're very resourceful. all these completed projects are dug out from all sorts of websites. I hear you on the 'dark' side. Will be limiting it to my airwell/courtyard which is bathed with light. The wood work is a bit ott I thought although the overall design is very modern minimalistic and agree with you a bit dark.

Well, just read about the 1st apt from Pomelo Home's fb page a few days ago. Raymond (Pomelo's boss) shares nice sites and new arrivals periodically which I keep an eye out for. Instant love... I even spent some time dissecting how the apartment was reconfigured with my colleague who is the owner of the Telok Blangah apt (the one on Qeeple) that I'd shared, hence the floor plan that I went to search for.

As for the other one... one of the very few minimalist HDB apartments I found (plus I like how the ID does the 3Ds for his projects). So far not many owners who like minimalist interiors. In fact a common comment when I show people my apartment photos is... 'where are your stuff'? Or they think I should get more furniture like a coffee table which I vehemently resist cos I love the living room space that is freed up without a coffee table.

I love the idea of courtyards... if I ever get a landed property, I'll want a courtyard too... like some of those Japanese houses I've seen... squarish white or black boxes on the outside (less windows facing neighbors = more privacy, IMO important in sardine packed Singapore), with a large central courtyard to introduce light and ventilation into the house. Unfortunately I guess I can't ever afford a bungalow to achieve my dream of building a house with a tropical (practical) living mixed with clean Japanese aesthetics... so I can only read about nice apartments and houses from a variety of magazines and online sites. Do you or your mum have green fingers?

What about your furnishings? Now is a great time to shop for furniture with lots of sales.

Still one of my all-time favs... think not quite the minimalist aesthetic you like, but I remember reading that the TV and switches are hidden and I simply love the contrast between the conservation townhouse exterior and the extremely modern interior. :wub:

I've been having a bit of an obsession with 55 Blair Road... it's a conservation shop house that has been extensively renovated... some info:

Architects: Ong & Ong Pte Ltd

Design Team: Diego Molina and Maria Arango. Camilo Pelaez.

Project Team: Diego Molina and Maria Arango. Camilo Pelaez. Ryan Manuel, Linda Qing

Interior design: YPS

Project Year: 2009

Photographs: Derek Swalwell

Now the eye candy...

Facade:

1250632330-blairrd-15.jpg

Interiors:

1250632170-blairrd-01.jpg

1250632300-blairrd-12.jpg

1250632239-blairrd-06.jpg

1250632288-blairrd-11.jpg

Source: http://www.archdaily.com/32573/55-blair-road-ong-ong/

Haha ... and I'm just done cleaning up my kid's messy room. She's a true blue hoarder even though she's just 11. She even kept three raw eggs in her room! I also had to convince her to throw away an old coconut which she found by the roadside and kept for a year on a separate occasion.

I don't know how I can teach her the concept of minimalism.

Well, just read about the 1st apt from Pomelo Home's fb page a few days ago. Raymond (Pomelo's boss) shares nice sites and new arrivals periodically which I keep an eye out for. Instant love... I even spent some time dissecting how the apartment was reconfigured with my colleague who is the owner of the Telok Blangah apt (the one on Qeeple) that I'd shared, hence the floor plan that I went to search for.

You must have been very involved with the process of your reno. How does it feel now that its mostly over? Relieved? Or do you think it'll more likely be a work in progress?

As for the other one... one of the very few minimalist HDB apartments I found (plus I like how the ID does the 3Ds for his projects). So far not many owners who like minimalist interiors. In fact a common comment when I show people my apartment photos is... 'where are your stuff'? Or they think I should get more furniture like a coffee table which I vehemently resist cos I love the living room space that is freed up without a coffee table.

Stay strong to your principles and don't let the others deter you. I have seen your hall photos and its gorgeously minimal. Agree that doing away with the coffee table helps. The fan 'disappears' into the alcove and theres plenty of room between the sofa and the wall TV. And of course your signature TV cabinetry! And a few nice design pieces.

I love the idea of courtyards... if I ever get a landed property, I'll want a courtyard too... like some of those Japanese houses I've seen... squarish white or black boxes on the outside (less windows facing neighbors = more privacy, IMO important in sardine packed Singapore), with a large central courtyard to introduce light and ventilation into the house. Unfortunately I guess I can't ever afford a bungalow to achieve my dream of building a house with a tropical (practical) living mixed with clean Japanese aesthetics... so I can only read about nice apartments and houses from a variety of magazines and online sites. Do you or your mum have green fingers?

The Japanese IDs I admire a lot. They are the true pros when it comes to zen minimalism. well, you never know, perhaps an opportunity might come your way in the future. I don't have green fingers neither does my mum though I have managed so far to grow a decent herb collection. Mostly growing them to harvest and eat more than producing a greenhouse showcase. haha.

What about your furnishings? Now is a great time to shop for furniture with lots of sales.

Right which I will post about shortly. The collection of photos you posted featuring the courtyard from the terrace is amazing!! Wish I have the kind of budget and space for such a design.

Haha ... and I'm just done cleaning up my kid's messy room. She's a true blue hoarder even though she's just 11. She even kept three raw eggs in her room! I also had to convince her to throw away an old coconut which she found by the roadside and kept for a year on a separate occasion.

I don't know how I can teach her the concept of minimalism.

your daughter is quite a colorful character! well, i am not in authority because I don't have a kid. though I'd say show her by your positive example. Children, they see they do (this one is a bit sad though):

Right, the most urgent thing for me right now is to nail down a dining table and the accompanying dinning chairs. Once I've got that down, I should be looking at converting my courtyard to something more pleasant. Here's some of my 'research'. I think the first 3 of the series of photos would be the most minimalistic but it is not feasible to have a fully glass dining table because it needs to double up as my work table and glass don't do well with human skin contact leaving behind lots of grease marks and may be quite uncomfortable when cold. Transparent acrylic on the other hand catches scratches far too easily for heavy duty usage.

house13.jpg

house21.jpg

house176.jpg

house60.jpg

house61.jpg

Edited by euphony

Perhaps wood is a better option. I have run through at least 15-20 different furniture shops in JB and have found nothing to my liking. Either the design is too 'lux' or flamboyant. Nothing that has a muted simplicity and a modern aestheticism. So I will be turning my attention to SG instead and ship it into JB.

house95.jpg

house97.jpg

house99.jpg

house103.jpg

house119.jpg

I think I should be getting separate chairs. Though deals are sweeter when the dining table are married with chairs, I prefer more eclectic mixing to heighten the aestheticism.

house126.jpg

house136.jpg

house157.jpg

house162.jpg

house164.jpg

Out of the whole bunch of dining chairs, the panton S chairs appeal to me most with minimal joinery, modernistic appearances even though it has been designed so long ago. I also like that it is fuss free without additional leather/canvas cushions which may dirty or get worn down in time to come. Unfortunately however, I cannot afford to pay homage to Verner Panton by buying them off Vitra. Will be getting knock offs. So I won't be able to get his signature on his signature piece though I should be looking at the same fiberglass material.

house181.jpg

house198.jpg

Edited by euphony

You must have been very involved with the process of your reno. How does it feel now that its mostly over? Relieved? Or do you think it'll more likely be a work in progress?

Just got my new living room cabinets today. And am still looking to furnish my study, so yeah sorta wip but really just enjoying my place. It's lovely to stay at home to bum around, read or just sit in the balcony.

Stay strong to your principles and don't let the others deter you. I have seen your hall photos and its gorgeously minimal. Agree that doing away with the coffee table helps. The fan 'disappears' into the alcove and theres plenty of room between the sofa and the wall TV. And of course your signature TV cabinetry! And a few nice design pieces.

Not as minimal as it looks! Clutter is hard to keep away. Plus I hv no discipline. Luckily my weekend helper comes to help clean the place a bit. Had no idea it's a signature tv cabinet. We just wanted a simple yet functional design. Glad we insisted on the cantilever top tho. Think aesthetically it makes a major diff. Those little decisions that make such a diff...

Designer pieces, or at least well designed furniture are integral to minimalist interiors. We took forever to decide on the furniture selection. I do like the inspiration pics u shared. Looking fwd to the end results.

The Japanese IDs I admire a lot. They are the true pros when it comes to zen minimalism. well, you never know, perhaps an opportunity might come your way in the future. I don't have green fingers neither does my mum though I have managed so far to grow a decent herb collection. Mostly growing them to harvest and eat more than producing a greenhouse showcase. haha.

Herb garden is nice. We also toyed with the idea but since we don't cook... Just continue with the plants we got for housewarming lor. For us, having our Japanese IDs helped. They are pretty hardcore minimalists at heart.

Right which I will post about shortly. The collection of photos you posted featuring the courtyard from the terrace is amazing!! Wish I have the kind of budget and space for such a design.

Hey try shopping in KL? JB won't have the kinda furniture u r looking for methinks. KL would have tho. May be cheaper than bringing in from SG, or at least less troublesome I think.