Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
geneboi

~*~A Place Where We Can Finally Call Home~*~

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I have decided to start our own blog after following this site for quite some time. Now that we finally have our own home after much frustrations, we will update our progress frequently.

More than 2yrs of Frustrations!!

9 attempts at both BTOs and sales of balance flats all failed! My wife and I are both Singapore citizens. Both of our families are living in Ang Mo Kio. Despite 2 attempts to talk to our MPs on our dire situation, we were still unable to get a flat. On Dec'11 after our last attempt in the sales of balance flat, we agreed that we had enough as we cannot simply keep applying for BTOs and hope for the best considering the 3-4yrs time lapse for the flat to be ready. We do not have much alternative than to look into the resale market, although we are quite hesistant as we are a young couple and not cash rich.

Our Search for Resale Flat in Ang Mo Kio

As mentioned above that both of our families are living in Ang Mo Kio, naturally we want to get a flat in Ang Mo Kio as well. This is taking into consideration the additional 10K HDB grant for staying near parents, the ease of travel to any location from Ang Mo Kio and of cause the convenience of visting our parents. As we know that we are unable to fork out much cash, our requirements are very realistic as we know that we cannot be fussy in our search. Therefore we agreed that we will consider units with low floor, off-central units and the condition should be as original as possible since we want to invest into renovation. Just barely into a month of searching in our 6th unit, we have found our home:

Blk 173 Ang Mo Kio Ave 4

Valuation: 425K

COV: 3K

Condition: Very original

Surprise Surprise! Yes you saw it correctly, COV of 3K in a high floor flat in Ang Mo Kio. We ourselves found it unbelievable and feel that we are very very lucky indeed. The owner is an old couple who are the 1st owner of the flat since 1982 and now wants to cash out to enjoy his retirement.

Timeline (Will be updated frequently)

7-Feb-12 --> 1st Viewing

8-Feb-12 --> 2nd Viewing with my parents

9-Feb-12 --> Place 1K deposit

11-Feb-12 --> Signing the OTP and pay remaining 2K

6-Mar-12 --> Getting in touch with many IDs while waiting for HDB 1st appt on 9/Mar

9-Mar-12 --> Completed HDB 1st appt. 2nd appt set on 30/Apr

25-Mar-12 --> Confirmed InnerSpace Interior as our ID. 3D drawing will be ready by 14/Apr

29-Apr-12 --> Final inspection. Keys have been handed over

30-Apr-12 --> 2nd appointment. House is officially ours!

1-May-12 --> Bought refrigerator, washing machine and home theatre chair

20-May-12 --> Choose tiles, purchase lightings

25-May-12 --> Bought system 4 inverter aircon

Floor Plan of my Flat

cropfloorplan.jpg

Edited by geneboi

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I seriously believe in fate.

If its urs its urs.

This is a good example.

Just like i am searching a maisonette with my wife.

Been searching for coming a month and finally saw one which both of us like.

But there is a 2nd viewing by 2nd buyer next day. And my wife is worry we will loose out as 2nd viewing normally will seal deal.

So i told my wife if the house is fated to be urs it will be urs so no need to worry.

Indeed the next day my agent call me and informed me that we won the 2nd buyer backout :)

I seriously believe in fate.

If its urs its urs.

This is a good example.

Just like i am searching a maisonette with my wife.

Been searching for coming a month and finally saw one which both of us like.

But there is a 2nd viewing by 2nd buyer next day. And my wife is worry we will loose out as 2nd viewing normally will seal deal.

So i told my wife if the house is fated to be urs it will be urs so no need to worry.

Indeed the next day my agent call me and informed me that we won the 2nd buyer backout :)

Congrats! Where is your EM? Not many resale EMs in the resale market nowadays....

Can slightly understand your frustration on unable to get a BTO flat.. but it seems to be a blessing in disguise isn't it! For that price, you're able to get AMK area high flr, i think its totally worth it.

Looking fwd to see your reno progress! gd luck in choosing a contractor / ID!

Next step is getting closer, looking forward to our HDB 1st appt this Friday. Meanwhile we are in contact with numerous IDs to explore various design concepts.

Several Updates:

- Waiting for 2nd appt to collect our keys on 30/Apr (3 weeks to go!)

- After an intensive round of speaking to many IDs (Around 7 in total), we have finally confirmed our ID. ~*~InnerSpace Interior~*~

- Will be looking forward to our 3D drawing on 14/Apr and will share with everyone our proposed layout.

Cheers!

AMK is a good location. Considering got MRT, AMK Hub, near Bishan, got AMK park, near expressway. Your floor plan layout is similiar as me, just that my bedrooms are on the right, yours are on the left. So are the kitchen, storeroom and living room.

Hack away store room, where will you store your luggages, boxes of rarely used items but cannot throw away?

3k cov is so good deal. :) wish you a smooth reno.

Congratulations in getting your house, moreover with such low COV. :yamseng:

I thot my COV of 29k for a east side 5rm is acceptable at this time but 3k for a central unit....wow!

Lucky you, congrats again. :D

Edited by pat55

Update: 9/Apr

My ID committed to send the 3D drawing by 14/Apr but I received a lovely surprise when he has emailed me all the pictures today! Below are the pictures and we look forward to any comments/feedback. :0)

Living Room

livingcopy.jpg

Kitchen

kitchencopy.jpg

Master Bedroom

masterbedrmcopy.jpg

Bedroom 3: Dedicated Home Theatre Room

entertainmentroomcopy.jpg

Bedroom 2: Future kids room

bedrmcopy.jpg

Congratulations in getting your house, moreover with such low COV. :yamseng:

I thot my COV of 29k for a east side 5rm is acceptable at this time but 3k for a central unit....wow!

Lucky you, congrats again. :D

Cheers!

Thanks, we are very fortunate indeed.

Edited by geneboi

Hack away store room, where will you store your luggages, boxes of rarely used items but cannot throw away?

3k cov is so good deal. :) wish you a smooth reno.

To make up for the store room, we are doing up quite alot of cabinets for storage purpose. Hope we will not regret this decision in the future. :0)