Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
thedottyness

2+3 - Our 2Nd Home

Progress so far...

Partition guy did a great work with the false ceilings and cove lighting. Seems like money well spent even thou it pushed us way off budget. RAWRS!

Plastering... We are in love. I can't begin to describe how smooooooooth the walls feel after plastering.. It's as smooth as a baby's butt! And the wall corners are reinforced with this wire thing..

But the plastering and partition/false ceiling/box-up was something we didn't factor into our budget.. So we definitely hit the point where we are 10% over budget or more for the renovations now.

Aircon trunking is up.. BUT THEY DID A TERRIBLE JOB. We made the contractor to call the subcon back to do rectification works for today.. *sigh* Hopefully they will actually turn up and not put aeroplane.

Tiling work is... still ongoing. Some minor rectification to my MBR toilet, requested to do U channels for 2 x 18 inch fixed glass panels instead of a full glass shower area.

It's nice to know that the permit for the roofing at balcony area is finally approved and will be going up soon. The dining/utility homo tiles are up.. I am still quite on the fence about the homo tiles we chose. Some consensus said it looks like original HDB tiles. :rolleyes: The tiler and electrician on the other hand say its really good tiles and they are getting more expensive.. :unsure:

Either way it doesn't comfort me.. But after putting in the living/dining furniture, I am guessing that we will see less of the tiles, which will make it much more bearable. (I THINK!)

where did u buy ur ac? I made a deposit at best tech yesterday. after that , my hubby and I saw all those negative comments on their service. we totally lost confident, now we wanna forfeit the deposit and try to find another ac seller..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

where did u buy ur ac? I made a deposit at best tech yesterday. after that , my hubby and I saw all those negative comments on their service. we totally lost confident, now we wanna forfeit the deposit and try to find another ac seller..

Actually our AC is a subcon by our contractor but we dont find them that good (yet) considering the mess they made. Thou when they come to rectify they did mention their considerations when doing the trunking that way.

Few important points about AC, try to have site survey with the contractor so you can tell them where you want your FCU and how to run the pipes.

For gas pipes, the lesser the bends and the shorter the distance the better it is. But you still need to take into consideration with regards to concealment.

Also very important is the insulation, get the better ones, armaflex class "1" half inch or equivalent ones. Gonna cost more but can last longer with less problems.

For drainage pipes, there MUST be a gradient otherwise, it will be prone to leaks or molds etc..

Only FCU and Condensor is covered by warranty with the manufacturer, that is not the main area that will spoil as there are QC processes.

The aircon gas is a closed system, hence MOST important for the workers to ensure that the gas pipes are done up properly,sealed without leaks. It is very hard to trace leaks and you end up having to topup gas every now and then and they will just ask you change the whole system.

I bought from best tech. Some ppl have bad experience with them but it was ok for me. Nothing is wrong with mine and their service also ok. Not as bad as I thought. At least they did properly and never gave my contractor any problem.

I bought from best tech. Some ppl have bad experience with them but it was ok for me. Nothing is wrong with mine and their service also ok. Not as bad as I thought. At least they did properly and never gave my contractor any problem.

thx!! did u get them to come over twice?

I went to gain city expo sale today and found the price is much more expensive... not sure whether I should pay premium for a service..

Actually our AC is a subcon by our contractor but we dont find them that good (yet) considering the mess they made. Thou when they come to rectify they did mention their considerations when doing the trunking that way.

Few important points about AC, try to have site survey with the contractor so you can tell them where you want your FCU and how to run the pipes.

For gas pipes, the lesser the bends and the shorter the distance the better it is. But you still need to take into consideration with regards to concealment.

Also very important is the insulation, get the better ones, armaflex class "1" half inch or equivalent ones. Gonna cost more but can last longer with less problems.

For drainage pipes, there MUST be a gradient otherwise, it will be prone to leaks or molds etc..

Only FCU and Condensor is covered by warranty with the manufacturer, that is not the main area that will spoil as there are QC processes.

The aircon gas is a closed system, hence MOST important for the workers to ensure that the gas pipes are done up properly,sealed without leaks. It is very hard to trace leaks and you end up having to topup gas every now and then and they will just ask you change the whole system.

thx so much for the tips :)

happy Reno!

thx!! did u get them to come over twice?

I went to gain city expo sale today and found the price is much more expensive... not sure whether I should pay premium for a service..

If you read ard, gain city also have bad review. So difficult to say..... Yes, they came twice. Once for the trunking and once to install the fan coil.

More pictures...

Mess by the AC guys... :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

a0254e26.jpg

After I cleaned it up.. Am I the only dumb owner that clears up the mess of others?? :dunno: Neither I nor my electrician can tahan the mess!! At least let others work in clean n clear environment mah.. Wait the workers trip or worse damage the floor.. And my cock contractor never put cardboard protection on the floor.. Lucky no dents..

Nice pics.

The plastering looks very smooth and well done!

Your experience is somewhat similar to mine.

I remembered complaining to my ID about the workers leaving the place in a big mess and not protecting my marble flooring. I m also another dumb owner! It was often myself or my ID himself who clear those mess... Haha :)

Edited by potatoes

aircon installer everywhere also got bad review... its funny how $10 kopi $ (each) can go a long way. they sweep, they vacuum, they do a good good job before they go.

I got bad experience with my aircon installer too. I think all aircon installers are the same kind.

My aircon installer came to do our aircon, but forgot to bring the board to cover the wall. He said he will bring the board the next day, so we agreed. Who knows what.... that very night rain very heavily. When the aircon man went to install the board the next morning, he didn't call us to say our room was flooded. He only know how to call me when he can't open the door because our door lock is old and rusty, so he don't know the "tactic" to open the door. He should at least have the courtesy to call me back, and tell me the room is flooded. He installed his board and left the place. We went to the house after work and found our room flooded with water. We end up cleaning the mess. It was his fault for not bringing the board to cover the hole, otherwise the rain won't come in the house.

Actually my aircon installer also brought the wrong bracket, can use but not 100% suitable so after they go lunch they went back to their company to change the bracket.

They themselves said they feel paiseh cos this is the first time they get kopi $ before they start work and the owner even tabao kopi and buy bao for them for tea break, they said sometime they also get tipped but usually after they finish their job.

Actually my aircon installer also brought the wrong bracket, can use but not 100% suitable so after they go lunch they went back to their company to change the bracket.

They themselves said they feel paiseh cos this is the first time they get kopi $ before they start work and the owner even tabao kopi and buy bao for them for tea break, they said sometime they also get tipped but usually after they finish their job.

I not so free la.. Only bring coffee to workers every morning. I didnt know the AC people came until after work..

aircon installer everywhere also got bad review... its funny how $10 kopi $ (each) can go a long way. they sweep, they vacuum, they do a good good job before they go.

okie... I will remember to prepare hongpao for them. wish they can do a proper job!

I guess it's better to entertain them before hand?

27_movingsale.jpg

sale sale sale~ best time to buy furniture.

we went to Originals last weekend and decided to buy a 2m long bench as extra seating..

so which did we get? top or bottom?

1b4db3c9.jpg

ans: bottom

It is very worth it.. As they are made out of teak wood and were going for 40-50% off. Downside is.. its a warehouse clearance sale. Delivery time in 2 weeks.

Originals is at

896 Dunearn Road,

#02-03, Sime Darby Centre,

Singapore 589472

Take the lift next to TOTTS,

at the front of The Sime Darby Centre.

Go to the second floor.

Edited by thedottyness

27_movingsale.jpg

sale sale sale~ best time to buy furniture.

we went to Originals last weekend and decided to buy a 2m long bench as extra seating..

so which did we get? top or bottom?

1b4db3c9.jpg

ans: bottom

It is very worth it.. As they are made out of teak wood and were going for 40-50% off. Downside is.. its a warehouse clearance sale. Delivery time in 2 weeks.

Why did u choose the bottom piece? I would choose the top piece tho as the entire piece is teak wood. The bottom one seems to have the metal support/legs which might overtime be prone to corrosion.....it's just my opinion :)