Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
v1hypersg

My Home, 4I In Tanjong Pagar Plaza

My bro is a contractor in Msia and he advised me not to bring in cos the transportation and custom levies might cost a lot. So I really don't know how it works. Sorry!

I already recommended 2 contractors to u. Dont know go else to recommend too.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

can anyone advise if it is advisable to get ready made furniture or built in furniture ?

i mean, i heard that people saying if you have built in furniture, you cannot re-arrange the furniture when you get sick of the look,

also built-in is more expensive but i thought if there are no legs of empty top space, cleaning and maintenance is easier

also you fully utilised the limited space in our small hdb flats,

but then the trade off is more expensive,

My 2 cents:

- Custom-made for wardrobes and cabinets where you need to maximize the available space e.g. kitchen and shoe racks.

- Off the shelf for normal stuff like tables, unless you have a special design in mind like a booth type of dining space. Even for TV console, perhaps off-the rack if you don't intend to have feature wall.

From chats with my contractor for my TV console and on some of the solid wood furniture that I got, I think off the rack can offer better quality stuff that can last and be moved to your next place. E.g. I bought a number of solid wood pieces on sale, and my contractor said he wouldn't have been able to construct a similar item at a cheaper cost or with better finishing. He also shared that me that furniture factories have special machines that can give much better finishing than normal contractor/carpenters. If you have seen the plywood typically used for custom-made furniture, you'll understand. Of course compared to IKEA and any of those stores that use 'sawdust' or MDF for material, then I think custom made will be better quality.

For my TV console, although I am satisfied with the design/quality, but getting one from Grafunkt (during 50% sale tho!) would have been at nearly the same cost as what I spent on customizing, with the difference being that I can move the Grafunkt console with me when I sell the house next time. RT-ers have gone either routes from what I see. Really depends on what you want.

For my TV console, although I am satisfied with the design/quality, but getting one from Grafunkt (during 50% sale tho!) would have been at nearly the same cost as what I spent on customizing, with the difference being that I can move the Grafunkt console with me when I sell the house next time. RT-ers have gone either routes from what I see. Really depends on what you want.

Wow when did Grafunkt hv a 50% sale? I've been eyeing the console for awhile le!

Wow when did Grafunkt hv a 50% sale? I've been eyeing the console for awhile le!

Can't rem the exact price. Think was going for around $2.8-$2.9K a year ago? Was that 50%? Thought was a really good deal for solid walnut. Even my contractor thought so.

Edited by adidaem

just went for 1st appt today and 2nd appt of completion will be on 2nd July 2012,

handover will be private arrangement between me and seller via agent on 2nd Oct 2012,

much relief but it was mentioned that there are upgrading costs involved,

wonder what are the upgrading and the costs,

looking forward to handover and start reno and move in to my home,

latest update,

will have final inspection at end of Sept 2012,

then will officially take over 1 week later,

still have not finalize or meet with any contractor or designer due to bad experience about some designer kept pestering me to meet up or asking me to take up their " very worth it " packages and i had to sms them to say that i will not be engaging their services then they left me alone and it is like 5 or 6 firms

so fed up with them,

some never got back to me after quoting me,

some good news though,

i emailed the hdb and asked about the installation of 2nd toilet bowl in the bathroom and they said it can be done, just they want to see how the contractor plan to install the toilet bowl and submit to them their proposal,

also about the max ampere for the house, they mentioned it has been upgraded to 40A recently and i was able to install 2 compressors outside,

will kick start and read about other people's blogs and start the renovation plan and research again,

hope all the seniors out there, can give their opinions and recommendations,