Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mercey

Ceiling Light's 3-Way Switch Faulty - Pls Help

Hi there, I'm clueless when it comes to lightings and electrical stuff. Hope any kind soul can help me :)

I have a 3-way switch ceiling light in my master room. Meaning to say:

- Switch on 1st time, it's the 3 x fluorescent light

- Switch on 2nd time, it's the 4 x halogen light

- Switch on 3rd time, it's having all the lights together (3 fluorescent light + 4 halogen light)

I have been using it for about a year now and I think it should still be ok, ie. not spoilt. But I'm not sure.

What happened is I have never touched (ie. made changes) or repaired my ceiling light before ever since the renovation. One fine day, the 3 fluorescent light just didn't start up when I switched on for the 1st time. If I press the switch again for 2nd time, the 4 halogen light still work. If press another time (3rd time), all don't work. In short, switch on 1st time, no light. 2nd time, there's light. 3rd time, no light.

I have since changed the 3 lamp tubes and the 3 starters for the fluorescent light, but the same problem persists.

Is anyone able to help me please? Thanks a million :)

PS: My contractor has closed down already, so I can't call him for help.

Edited by mercey

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Walk into a lighting shop, select and buy a new light, ask them to supply an electrician to help install the light and pay them for the service. Dont buy from them if they cant help you install for a fee or provide you an electrician to assist to install at a fee.

it can be Ballast for the fluorescent light or swithing IC that is giving you the problem. High chance is the IC problem which cost about S$10 or S$20 for remote version.

Changing these will need some level of electrical knowledge and I do not suggest you do it.

Good luck.

Walk into a lighting shop, select and buy a new light, ask them to supply an electrician to help install the light and pay them for the service. Dont buy from them if they cant help you install for a fee or provide you an electrician to assist to install at a fee.

Thanks Albert! Do you have any to recommend?

Edited by mercey

it can be Ballast for the fluorescent light or swithing IC that is giving you the problem. High chance is the IC problem which cost about S$10 or S$20 for remote version.

Changing these will need some level of electrical knowledge and I do not suggest you do it.

Good luck.

Thanks BeBeCc for the info. We hesitated to change it ourselves when we saw the wirings.

Do you have anyone reliable to recommend?