Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DesT

Opennet Fibre Optic

Hi,

Has anyone from the new estate that is Data Structure Ready already install OpenNet?

Did they install the termination point within the Utility box or they still pull a trunking over to the TV point?

If they install within the Utility box, can share how it was done?

Edited by DesT

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

Has anyone from the new estate that is Data Structure Ready already install OpenNet?

Did they install the termination point within the Utility box or they still pull a trunking over to the TV point?

Hi, not sure have you got your OpenNet installed. My brother's unit is in Punggol Arcadia. The terminal point is at the TV point area. Wires are concealed.

If your unit do not have the point installed, the OpenNet workers will run trunking in your house. What my friend did is route the optical wires inside his false ceiling by himself. The workers are not willing to do it for him as they are afraid they might damage his lightnings. Only the portion of wires that need to route down along the wall use trunking.

Hi,

Hi, have you installed your Opennet?

I am facing the same question as you now. I stay at Sunshine (CCK) BTO and Opennet mention that the cabling will start next mth. I am also wondering where the TP will be.

I saw somewhere the string in the Utility box is for the fiber cable to be pull thru. If that is the case, how is the TP going to connect to the ONT? There is also a lan connection in side the box.

Anyone did theirs? Can share some photos how that is done?

img8887n.jpg

opennet.jpg

Ummm, I honestly dunno what that string is cos they need to run actual optic fibre into your unit. It's an orange cable.

In terms of installation, this is more or less what happened at my parents' place:

1. Opennet guys drilled a hole from outside the unit into the unit. Typically, this is the shortest distance from the outside point into your unit, avoiding any fixtures like cabinets etc you may have.

2. I told them to terminate the TP right at the point of entry into the house since my parents do not need it to watch TV and it will be used mainly for internet.

3. They pull the optic fibre through the hole, connect up to the ONT, cover up all the wires. Test the whole thing to make sure the signal is ok and they're done.

Some notes of the experience:

1. The worker will typically try to "sell" you to locate it next to your Starhub TV point cos : a) they can earn the $$ if your trunking exceeds the free 5m; b) it's what they're familiar with

Well, they asked me 3 different times and tried to convince me but I told them no, you terminate it where I tell you to. I had to sign a form from Opennet that states that I'm terminating the ONT at a place that I specified.

2. They take a photo of the whole setup once they're done - I believe this is to prove to Singtel that they complete x number of units a day.

3. One of my neighbours got these workers to run the wiring through his false ceiling - was charged SGD150 for that, which went to the workers' pockets. I think something was damaged but am not very sure.

Another neighbour exceeded the free wiring allotment, he managed to sweetalk the guy into waiving the extra charge by paying him an amount which is less than what Opennet would have charged. Not trying to advocate cheating Opennet here, btw, this is reality on the ground.

After the installation, the setup at my parent's place is a <1m run of the cabling from outside to the TP, terminating right next to the front door. M1 Huawei ONT wall-mounted above ONT and above, the main Dlink wireless router. To boost the signal to the other parts of the house, another Dlink wireless router is configured as a client bridge which has line-of-sight view to the main router.

I get about 23Mbps download speed in the 2nd part of the house, compared to about double (and sometimes tripel) that if I connect to the main router. You will get the same bandwidth reduction by 50% if you use Powerline networking, fyi.

Good luck !

Hi, have you installed your Opennet?

I am facing the same question as you now. I stay at Sunshine (CCK) BTO and Opennet mention that the cabling will start next mth. I am also wondering where the TP will be.

I saw somewhere the string in the Utility box is for the fiber cable to be pull thru. If that is the case, how is the TP going to connect to the ONT? There is also a lan connection in side the box.

Anyone did theirs? Can share some photos how that is done?

img8887n.jpg

opennet.jpg

If you look at this page http://blog.moertel.com/articles/2005/11/15/verizon-fios-fiber-optic-internet-service-a-first-look

you'll notice your utility box is looking like an ONT itself.

Ummm, I honestly dunno what that string is cos they need to run actual optic fibre into your unit. It's an orange cable.

In terms of installation, this is more or less what happened at my parents' place:

1. Opennet guys drilled a hole from outside the unit into the unit. Typically, this is the shortest distance from the outside point into your unit, avoiding any fixtures like cabinets etc you may have.

2. I told them to terminate the TP right at the point of entry into the house since my parents do not need it to watch TV and it will be used mainly for internet.

3. They pull the optic fibre through the hole, connect up to the ONT, cover up all the wires. Test the whole thing to make sure the signal is ok and they're done.

Some notes of the experience:

1. The worker will typically try to "sell" you to locate it next to your Starhub TV point cos : a) they can earn the $$ if your trunking exceeds the free 5m; b) it's what they're familiar with

Well, they asked me 3 different times and tried to convince me but I told them no, you terminate it where I tell you to. I had to sign a form from Opennet that states that I'm terminating the ONT at a place that I specified.

2. They take a photo of the whole setup once they're done - I believe this is to prove to Singtel that they complete x number of units a day.

3. One of my neighbours got these workers to run the wiring through his false ceiling - was charged SGD150 for that, which went to the workers' pockets. I think something was damaged but am not very sure.

Another neighbour exceeded the free wiring allotment, he managed to sweetalk the guy into waiving the extra charge by paying him an amount which is less than what Opennet would have charged. Not trying to advocate cheating Opennet here, btw, this is reality on the ground.

After the installation, the setup at my parent's place is a <1m run of the cabling from outside to the TP, terminating right next to the front door. M1 Huawei ONT wall-mounted above ONT and above, the main Dlink wireless router. To boost the signal to the other parts of the house, another Dlink wireless router is configured as a client bridge which has line-of-sight view to the main router.

I get about 23Mbps download speed in the 2nd part of the house, compared to about double (and sometimes tripel) that if I connect to the main router. You will get the same bandwidth reduction by 50% if you use Powerline networking, fyi.

Good luck !

Thank you so much for the detail explanation! DO you have any photos showing your mounting? Did u have shelving or u wall mount both?

Thanks again... :yamseng:

hi kim76,

here you go

imag0950x.jpg

Left side (not in picture) is the front door, right side are the shoe cabinets. They drilled a hole in from outside, then patched it up when they were done with either plaster or something. Hate that light blue cover they use, heng didn't let them draw it all the way to the tv.

The coiled orange cable is the fibre optic cable - for goodness sake leave them coiled. My neighbour tried to coil it the same way we would other cables (figure 8) - she ended up breaking them and having to replace them. Expensive...

p.s. the board that everything is mounted on was my dad's DIY, ditto for the wooden box containing the router cos we couldn't find anything that fit our router. wooden box used 2 wooden pieces from daiso, and 1 box of screws from daiso, and a few of our own nails.

Edited by dragonnite

lol...kinda...usually i come up with the ideas, my dad figures out how to get it done... :sport-smiley-004:

btw, i have no idea how he managed to get that extra power point attached to the cabinet - that one was done by him too. the original power point is very much further down and he said it would have made it troublesome to switch on the stuff above.