Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
SoFrustrated

Urgent Help Needed!

Hi All,

I need all of your advice urgently!

I am now half way through my renovations. After met with 8 reno ID firms, we finally decided on a contractor who became very popular on renotalks in recent one year. He appeared to be very nice, sincere and kind before we signed on the dotted line. Based on the good feedbacks from earlier t-blogs about him, we entrusted him and handed our reno to him. After the reno started, there were hiccups as in every reno.

We go down to our house almost every day not only because we have a tight schedule to meet but also because he seldom goes down. Whenever we found any problem and call him, his attitude was not that good at all and he often raised his voice at us.

Sometimes, I seriously doubt that I am dealing with the recommended person by earlier bloggers. When I told him how I feel and told him I don't think he is as responsible as before, he admitted and said he is quite stressful and busy because now he needs to meet many new customers daily for quotations.

I will cut the story short, for now. The issue now is with the L-Box/Cove Light.

First, L-Box/Cove Light was slanted as follows:

2myccnc.jpg

We told him but he refused to do anything citing our ceiling is slanted. However, other ID provides solution such as re-alighting it and boxing up other referencing beams to alight to it.

Next, the L-Box/Cove Light was supposed to be 7ft, however, They only made it 6.5 ft. My husband found this out. The contractor solution was to patch it by extending another metal out. After it was extended, my husband climbed up to take a look. The following is the picture:

344xjq1.jpg

My husband asked about that and the worker told us that that is the way it is done. At first, we were so concerned that there might be cockroaches or lizards that would make nest there, worst, what if lizards died there? The pungent would be horrible!

We then started asking whomever we met, light shops, other contractors, etc. on the solution to the cockroaches and lizards, but to our horror, 100% of those we asked told us this is not the way to do L-Box/Cove Light! They also commented that they have never seen L-Box/Cove Light done in this way! They even explained to us step-by-step on how L-Box/Cove Light is done, no such problem will even occur if it is done the professional and easier way!

We sent him the image and asked for his comment, no reply. After chasing him, he replied saying that he will cut off the metal and seal off the holes. But how can that be done? That small platform was created with an extension, cutting it off is dangerous. He told us to trust him, and that if it drops within a year, he will patch it again. Oh my God, if it really falls, I can’t image the damages. And one year? Who do a reno to just live in it for one year? Who will put such a time bomb at own house?

We told him he need to redo that part, but he refused citing that that is his way of doing it, any redo will be the same and suggested us to get our own contractor to do that part while he deduct the L-Box/Cove Light charge from our bill. We agreed, but now he turned back on his words, saying that he will only do touch up of the L-Box/Cove Light and demanded us to pay him the payment for the install cabinet milestone.

We have scraped the idea of L-Box/Cove Light and counter proposed him that we will pay 50% of all the carpentry and after he removed the existing L-Box/Cove Light, (which he can complete in 1-2 days), we will top up the difference to 40%. However, he refused and demanded us to pay the full 40% first; otherwise, he will stop all the works from now on.

Should we pay him and pray hard he will keep his words and do a good job or should we consider changing another contractor?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi All,

I am now half way through my renovations. After met with 8 reno ID firms, we finally decided on a contractor who became very popular on renotalks in recent one year. He appeared to be very nice, sincere and kind before we signed on the dotted line. Based on the good feedbacks from earlier t-blogs about him, we entrusted him and handed our reno to him. After the reno started, there were hiccups as in every reno.

We go down to our house almost every day not only because we have a tight schedule to meet but also because he seldom goes down. Whenever we found any problem and call him, his attitude was not that good at all and he often raised his voice at us.

Sometimes, I seriously doubt that I am dealing with the recommended person by earlier bloggers. When I told him how I feel and told him I don't think he is as responsible as before, he admitted and said he is quite stressful and busy because now he needs to meet many new customers daily for quotations.

I will cut the story short, for now. The issue now is with the L-Box/Cove Light.

2myccnc.jpg

We told him but he refused to do anything citing our ceiling is slanted. However, other ID provides solution such as re-alighting it and boxing up other referencing beams to alight to it.

Next, the L-Box/Cove Light was supposed to be 7ft, however, They only made it 6.5 ft. My husband found this out. The contractor solution was to patch it by extending another metal out. After it was extended, my husband climbed up to take a look. The following is the picture:

344xjq1.jpg

My husband asked about that and the worker told us that that is the way it is done. At first, we were so concerned that there might be cockroaches or lizards that would make nest there, worst, what if lizards died there? The pungent would be horrible!

We then started asking whomever we met, light shops, other contractors, etc. on the solution to the cockroaches and lizards, but to our horror, 100% of those we asked told us this is not the way to do L-Box/Cove Light! They also commented that they have never seen L-Box/Cove Light done in this way! They even explained to us step-by-step on how L-Box/Cove Light is done, no such problem will even occur if it is done the professional and easier way!

We sent him the image and asked for his comment, no reply. After chasing him, he replied saying that he will cut off the metal and seal off the holes. But how can that be done? That small platform was created with an extension, cutting it off is dangerous. He told us to trust him, and that if it drops within a year, he will patch it again. Oh my God, if it really falls, I can’t image the damages. And one year? Who do a reno to just live in it for one year? Who will put such a time bomb at own house?

We told him he need to redo that part, but he refused citing that that is his way of doing it, any redo will be the same and suggested us to get our own contractor to do that part while he deduct the L-Box/Cove Light charge from our bill. We agreed, but now he turned back on his words, saying that he will only do touch up of the L-Box/Cove Light and demanded us to pay him the payment for the install cabinet milestone.

We have scraped the idea of L-Box/Cove Light and counter proposed him that we will pay 50% of all the carpentry and after he removed the existing L-Box/Cove Light, (which he can complete in 1-2 days), we will top up the difference to 40%. However, he refused and demanded us to pay the full 40% first; otherwise, he will stop all the works from now on.

Should we pay him and pray hard he will keep his words and do a good job or should we consider changing another contractor?

that not the correct way of doing the L-box. i thinks you should change the contractor as if you pay him up will he do a good job for you again. if im not wrong the price that you get is cheap that why the job out is soso. im saying what i thinking hope you not angry. you can call *unauthorized electrical ad* to check whether he can help on the reno anot.

Hi All,

2myccnc.jpg

344xjq1.jpg

Although the L-box is slanted against the ceiling but if you compare to the aircon unit in the backgound it is quite level, it is best you use a leveling tool to check if your ceiling is slanted or the L-box and aircon is slanted.

That is really not the way to do L-box, even a layman like me also know. And dont believe everything you see in forum, unless you know the owner or have visited the house to look at workmanship of tiler, plaster or carpenter. If you want to do high end carpentry works and would like to see the workmanship on my cabinets, that can be arranged privately. I suspect some t-blog are put up by contractors to promote their service, once you signed on the dotted line and paid down payment, white face change to black when thing starts to cock up.

that not the correct way of doing the L-box. i thinks you should change the contractor as if you pay him up will he do a good job for you again. if im not wrong the price that you get is cheap that why the job out is soso. im saying what i thinking hope you not angry. you can call *unauthorized electrical ad* to check whether he can help on the reno anot.

I don't think the price I paid is cheap leh. I was charged $1580 just for the L-box and Cove light in the living/dining area. Is it cheap? I saw some people's quote is $8 to $9 per feet run.

In fact, the overall package price given by the contractor is at mid-range among 8 ID firms we have consulted. There are a few which were cheaper than his. The only reason we handed our house to him was his good reputation in renotalk and he appeared to be a really sincere and trustworthy guy before the reno start.

I don't think the price I paid is cheap leh. I was charged $1580 just for the L-box and Cove light in the living/dining area. Is it cheap? I saw some people's quote is $8 to $9 per feet run.

In fact, the overall package price given by the contractor is at mid-range among 8 ID firms we have consulted. There are a few which were cheaper than his. The only reason we handed our house to him was his good reputation in renotalk and he appeared to be a really sincere and trustworthy guy before the reno start.

Are you sure is per foot run? I though is calculated by per square feet. Even at $10 per foot run, your $1580 L-box got 158 feet in length?

Although the L-box is slanted against the ceiling but if you compare to the aircon unit in the backgound it is quite level, it is best you use a leveling tool to check if your ceiling is slanted or the L-box and aircon is slanted.

That is really not the way to do L-box, even a layman like me also know. And dont believe everything you see in forum, unless you know the owner or have visited the house to look at workmanship of tiler, plaster or carpenter. If you want to do high end carpentry works and would like to see the workmanship on my cabinets, that can be arranged privately. I suspect some t-blog are put up by contractors to promote their service, once you signed on the dotted line and paid down payment, white face change to black when thing starts to cock up.

Agreed. My ceiling is indeed slanted. A good ID will do site visit and decide the best approach to take. Using leveling is a brainless approach and is taught in school but is not practical.

I have done a lot of research through various posts as well as consulted experts. The reply are all the same. It is the ID responsibility to ensure the end effect is presentable. Some ID made the right decision at first attempt, some others rectified it by referencing the ceiling and beam. When aircon is involved, adjusting the aircon rectified it.

My main concern is the Covelight. Firstly, the way it is done is wrong. The correct way will never have this problem. Secondly, is the completed work acceptable?

Edited by SoFrustrated

Agree. After our reno started, we accidentally found out one of the t-blog that helped him gain large popularity was put up by a contractor who is working with him.

What the bro says is right take level intrustment to counter check the level I am sure its straight as I have seen most installer do mark level before install false ceiling.Be it convention water level or laser lever :sport-smiley-004:

What the bro says is right take level intrustment to counter check the level I am sure its straight as I have seen most installer do mark level before install false ceiling.Be it convention water level or laser lever :sport-smiley-004:

Agreed. My ceiling is indeed slanted. A good ID will do site visit and decide the best approach to take. Using leveling is a brainless approach and is taught in school but is not practical.

I have done a lot of research through various posts as well as consulted experts. The reply are all the same. It is the ID responsibility to ensure the end effect is presentable. Some ID made the right decision at first attempt, some others rectified it by referencing the ceiling and beam. When aircon is involved, adjusting the aircon rectified it.

My main concern is the Covelight. Firstly, the way it is done is wrong. If the implementation approach is correct, it will never have this problem. Secondly, is the completed work acceptable?

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and comments.

My contractor just called us that he will resume the work and ensure the quality of the work moving forward.

In fact, we just learned from him that he had been continuing the work all along even during the so-called 'stop-work' period.

I am puzzled by him... but anyway, glad to know things are back on track.

he must have read your post here, afraid that you would reveal his name and ruin his reputation so he gotta do something to make u stop your posting here

Any update? How does your L-box look like right now? Actually I do not know how a correct L-box should look like. I should go grab a ladder and look at mine tomorrow.

Beware of that person that ask you to call 854O291O for recommendation and quote, it is actually the contractor himself.

Read below:

I would like to share my experience and warn the rest of the users

here. Beware of Kelvin Tham Ying Quan from K & J Electrical

Engineering Enterprise (Not PTE LTD).

Briefly, I engaged this

person called Kelvin Tham Ying Quan, owner of company K&J

Electrical Engineering, to do my electrical works.

Start of the

reno, he asked me to pay him 50% and I did. Supposed to only pay

him 50% when job done but he asked for $1000 more, and I gave it

to him as I thought he can be trusted. 2 weeks from my move-in

date, despite haven't completed the whole electrical works, he

demanded a 95% payment.

I got suspicious as a lot of the works I

monitored was not done properly, I told him I can only pay him

after I verify all job is done properly. On top of that, the

payment schedule keeps changing only to his benefits. Moreover,

everytime I pay him, he wants me to transfer to his personal

savings account (evasion of tax) or pass him cash (untrackable).

And I discovered he changed his number after starting my reno, as

if running away from another owner.

I feel that he is a dishonest

fellow, as a $100 LED downlight, he wants to charge me $160. Then

for every other things he volunteers to help me to get, he says he

only mark up by 7% GST when his company is not GST registered. For

what I am sure, he is going to run away with that small amount of

5% to be collected later. He has actually covered that 5% by

charging me $70+ per piece of IR sensor for the cabinet open/close

lighting (amount to $500+ for 7 pieces)

Come to the damamge, my

blood really boils. I hope no other people get cheated by him

anymore.

Damage as below:

4 out of 7 IR sensor not working after a

few days, I told him to replace as it is under his warranty but he

disppeared into thin air.

3 out 6 LAN cables are faulty or wired

wrongly.

1 out of 3 SCV cables are faulty as he short the earth

and the core.

1 out of 4 telephone points faulty.

2 power points

not working as he did not connect them properly.

3 damaged

faceplates (sockets and telephone etc) and he kept quiet about it.

Suppose to pass me back all the MK switches that comes in the

package but he didn't (I bought my own switches instead)

Holes in

the wall, ceiling, tiles etc all not patty-patched up after he

digs them. My contractor has to patch it up for him again and

again at my cost.

Alignment of lights all crooked.

He will charge

you ridiculous price for things you ask him to buy without

consulting you first.

He will charge you skyhigh rates for things

that he did wrongly and to do corrections.

He will charge you

extraordinary rates for things you ask him to do outside the

quotation without discussing with you the rate first.

Ridiculously

enough, he will tell you that he demand full payment once his work

is done regardless if you have tested the points faulty or not.

I

quote "my quotation does not include that you test the points

working in good condition".

His previous number: 9O786149

His

current number: 854O291O

Be warned bros and sis here. He

volunteered his service via pm in this forum.

More info

showtopic=50185&st=0&p=724866&hl=*unauthorized electrical ad*&fromsearch=1entry72486

6'>here and

showtopic=50186&st=0&p=725039&hl=*unauthorized electrical ad*&fromsearch=1entry72503

9'>there.