Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Minerat

Advice Required. Do I Need An Id?

I will be getting keys to my inter terrace in Aug 2012. I already know what I want to do, mainly

1. Repaint all interior and exterior walls

2. Replace all floor tiles in living and dining room

3. Replace all parquet

4. Redo all toilets (2 normal ones, and 1 small one with WC only)

5. Replace kitchen cabinet doors and drawers (don't like the colours)

6. Some minor stuff like extra wiring and installation of ceiling fans (not sure if it's feasible as whole house has false ceiling), installation of cooker hood, etc

In such a scenario, do I need an ID? Do I need a contractor? Or is it better for me to engage separate contractors for each piece of work?

Thanks and appreciate all advice.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Well.. if you do not need advice on area design layout/ concept (wall features, downlight, area re-layout & etc) & project mgmt, you did be better of getting a reliable contractor to do the work. :yamseng:

Hi Minerat,

The extent of your works are quite similar to mine. I would suggest getting quotes from both contractors & ID. My experience with contractors weren't good, of the 3 I gave plans to, only 1 gave a proper quote, & he wasn't much cheaper than the IDs because he has cheap lobang for some areas but some areas he's more ex. The other 2 contractors, both having threads in this forum, I had to chase & chase. 1 of them never got back to me at all despite his promises.

I got quotations from 2 IDs as well. In the end I went with the ID team my hubby & I had chemistry with & could give a competitive quote & whose track record is good in this forum.

I know what I want to do too, & am very vocal in my communication of concepts & look of my house. I didnt think I needed an ID too but I must say that the ID has value added so far in fresh ideas along the concept I want. Because of their experience & long term working relationship with the various subcons, project management is a huge value add given the scale of the Reno works & the slightly different & more unpredictable issues that might crop up for a landed house, as opposed to a HDB's.

My 2 cents worth.

Hi Minerat,

The extent of your works are quite similar to mine. I would suggest getting quotes from both contractors & ID. My experience with contractors weren't good, of the 3 I gave plans to, only 1 gave a proper quote, & he wasn't much cheaper than the IDs because he has cheap lobang for some areas but some areas he's more ex. The other 2 contractors, both having threads in this forum, I had to chase & chase. 1 of them never got back to me at all despite his promises.

I got quotations from 2 IDs as well. In the end I went with the ID team my hubby & I had chemistry with & could give a competitive quote & whose track record is good in this forum.

I know what I want to do too, & am very vocal in my communication of concepts & look of my house. I didnt think I needed an ID too but I must say that the ID has value added so far in fresh ideas along the concept I want. Because of their experience & long term working relationship with the various subcons, project management is a huge value add given the scale of the Reno works & the slightly different & more unpredictable issues that might crop up for a landed house, as opposed to a HDB's.

My 2 cents worth.

Can you PM me your ID's contact? Many thanks.

Hi Minerat,

My 2 cents worth.

This i totally agree with u, My auntie's semi-d also got a few quotes b4 she actually settled on an ID. She told me that one of the "contractor" actually took them as 'carrot head', quote them a sky high price for the cabinets and the re wiring of the kitchen. Well my ID was also recomended by her, after her semi-d was done up. Happy searching. Cheers

Was at expo and spoke to an ID at length about our requirement. Then she asked for $3k deposit so that she can work on the 3D design for us. She wasn't even able to give me a quotation yet and she expects me to put down a 3k deposit? Is this the norm?

Was at expo and spoke to an ID at length about our requirement. Then she asked for $3k deposit so that she can work on the 3D design for us. She wasn't even able to give me a quotation yet and she expects me to put down a 3k deposit? Is this the norm?

erm... the several quotations i had never required a deposit until they presented they quotation & i signed on dotted line. Deposit also not 30%.

I also had enquired with a pure ID (ie design consultancy & project management only, no contractor works) that quoted me 10k+ for design & project management alone. Even that he presented me with a quote first.

So... urs doesnt seem to be norm based on my experiences.

Don't give in! It's macam like wedding package like that...tsk tsk... there are plenty of IDs & contractors to take ur time & consider quotes on... give them deposit for what, unless u die die want them or need them then need to chope them...

Edited by OnTheRoad

erm... the several quotations i had never required a deposit until they presented they quotation & i signed on dotted line. Deposit also not 30%.

I also had enquired with a pure ID (ie design consultancy & project management only, no contractor works) that quoted me 10k+ for design & project management alone. Even that he presented me with a quote first.

So... urs doesnt seem to be norm based on my experiences.

Don't give in! It's macam like wedding package like that...tsk tsk... there are plenty of IDs & contractors to take ur time & consider quotes on... give them deposit for what, unless u die die want them or need them then need to chope them...

Do they show you the 3D designs prior to the deposit or quotations?