Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wheat

My First Reno Journey

So we started with hacking away the kitchen tiles, wall tiles and toilet tiles on last monday. Since then, renovation work has stalled :( We're awaiting for HDB approval for demolition of wall. Despite the J chasing after HDB and the extent of her posing as the house owners to ask HDB officer to hasten the approval, we're haven gotten the green light :unsure::curse:

Call in yourself! We had the same problem with the approval of the hacking of one of our walls. Took 2 weeks of our ID chasing HDB officer and still didn't get approval. Finally got irritated and called ourselves. Even had to ask to speak to the supervisor. Finally got the approval within a week. Can't imagine how much longer it would have dragged if we didn't call ourselves.

All the best for yours! Your space planning looks very interesting :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

All the best for yours! Your space planning looks very interesting :)

In terms of space planning, we are definitely not the most ideal. Initially we were fixated on not hacking any of the rooms, cos we heard that it will be harder to sell next time and we wanted to have enough rooms for the little ones in the future etc, and that.....resulted in us having a rather small MBR which cannot accommodate the big wardrobe that she wanted despite her always saying she has nothing to wear (sounds familiar huh) and an oversized study which was actually a bedroom by itself...and the layout just turns out to be pretty standard...

And suddenly one day, we got enlightened...all those things we gt worried about aint happening anytime soon! We worked hard and paid for the mortgage and reno and ought to enjoy the space and do up our place the way we wanted..

And.....bham! We hack the wall between the 2 common bedrooms, sealed up the walkway to the common bathroom and recreated an entrance to make the bathroom en-suite..

So..we ended up w only 2 rooms in our em which might be a problem, but only in 10 years time.....

Edited by wheat

In terms of space planning, we are definitely not the most ideal. Initially we were fixated on not hacking any of the rooms, cos we heard that it will be harder to sell next time and we wanted to have enough rooms for the little ones in the future etc, and that.....resulted in us having a rather small MBR which cannot accommodate the big wardrobe that she wanted despite her always saying she has nothing to wear (sounds familiar huh) and an oversized study which was actually a bedroom by itself...and the layout just turns out to be pretty standard...

And suddenly one day, we got enlightened...all those things we gt worried about aint happening anytime soon! We worked hard and paid for the mortgage and reno and ought to enjoy the space and do up our place the way we wanted..

And.....bham! We hack the wall between the 2 common bedrooms, sealed up the walkway to the common bathroom and recreated an entrance to make the bathroom en-suite..

So..we ended up w only 2 rooms in our em which might be a problem, but only in 10 years time.....

Totally agree with you.

I'm not the sort who likes moving, so I knew from the start when we were looking for our own place that I'd want to make it exactly the way I need it to be so that I'd be happy living in it. I simply can't imagine staying in a place that I won't be happy with! So I think you and your wife made a great decision :)

We also hacked many walls in the house, made our master bedroom bigger and sealed the walkway to the common bathroom upstairs so it becomes the new master bedroom bathroom. If it's to our liking and we're totally happy living in it, who cares about resale value (especially since we're not planning to move. New houses are so tiny!) :P

Dr Work in progress

Cr Prepayment

Kitchen wall

F512F5D2-B583-42E2-8AC6-F6FA2EDD006D-14942-00000FCA50DB9A6A.jpg

Windows

D7B68B23-D27F-4A51-8CED-DBCCFA11EBA5-14942-00000FCA06713D29.jpg

Sealing of the common bathroom entrance

72A3AA4B-9C99-4CA2-AD62-A389EA0EB83D-14942-00000FCA6D03007F.jpg

Toilet wall tiles up (somehow the colour looks weird)

4FADCCB8-585D-405A-84F4-13F8D8EAAC5B-14942-00000FCA5ADC9A42.jpg

Kinda neglected the blog as was too preoccupied with work and the renovation. Nearing completion now and just rectification work outstanding and of course the furniture and accessories that makes it a true home..

B683FF3F-D38A-49A8-A54A-46708C0C29CA-183

91B0DEA5-29D8-4344-A70B-23F0127A38CC-183

BA5FC631-2CAC-4C8F-8E9E-44BB6F18174E-183

Hi wheat, how's the carpentry and painting workmanship?
Wld u rec Inside Living / J?

Is their carpentry workshop in SG or MY?
Thanks!

Hi wheat, how's the carpentry and painting workmanship?

Wld u rec Inside Living / J?

Is their carpentry workshop in SG or MY?

Thanks!

Hi HL85, to me, the carpentry and painting workmanship are pretty good except for the occasional minor hiccups (eg. drawer doors unable to close fully) which I think is more or less expected given the scale of the carpentry work. However, I do disclaim that I'm not a technical person when it comes to this. So what's good for me may not be good enough for you. If you do have certain requirement, the best thing to do is to communicate upfront no matter which id or contractor you are using.

I would recommend J if you have an rough idea of what design you want. Based on my interactions with her, she's not too bold with her designs and colour choices and is more on the conservative side. However, she is definitely top notch when it comes to project management, responsiveness and value for money in my opinion.

Congrats! U are finally ending ur reno soon. What happen to ur white kitchen? Did u still have the yard in the kitchen? Is it behind the frosted glass wall?

Hi potatoes, we decided that we have a woody look to the place, hence switch to wood grain laminates instead. We also decided to go bold on the colours to break the monotone. yep, the yard is still there, behind the glass wall, not a very sightly place with the rubbish chute there..hahha