Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jojorock

Teak Furnishings Cracks?!

hi hi,

i'm searching for nice wooden teak furnishings and hear horror story from sales guy last night that it cracks in singapore's weather... so they switched to veneer table tops... :(

is it true????

i definitely prefer solid wood side tables/tv console/coffee table compared to plywood or compressed wood...

scanteak's furnishing are not all solid wood i hear too...

i'm so in a rush. :(

jojo

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi hi,

i'm searching for nice wooden teak furnishings and hear horror story from sales guy last night that it cracks in singapore's weather... so they switched to veneer table tops... :(

is it true????

i definitely prefer solid wood side tables/tv console/coffee table compared to plywood or compressed wood...

jojo

Is it?

My old teak coffee table and side table still going strong despite 25years liao :sport-smiley-004:

i think old furnitures are more durable because then they use old age teak wood... now the teak wood seem to be young and cracks easily... that's what the salesman explained why their teak products all changed their table tops to veneer. :bangwall: need to find old teak furnitures but how to check whether they are besides the hefty $$$ price tag?

hi hi,

is it true????

jojo

Teak wood crack if the wood is not treat properly.

My furniture all teak wood.

Where got crack.

Barang Barang teak wood is good. But too bad, they close liao.

hmmmm that means the shop i went to didnt do a good job treating it....?

i heard barang barang's stuff taken over by SY Living. Saw their sofas, pretty awesome :)

hmmmm that means the shop i went to didnt do a good job treating it....?

The direct source will took the teak wood and make furniture. They didn't do a proper treat.

Many yrs back , when I customize my teak wood furniture, the shop owner told us. Our furniture will not able to sent to us in 1 mth time. As they need time to treat the wood.

If don't treat property, wood will not be good.

i think old furnitures are more durable because then they use old age teak wood... now the teak wood seem to be young and cracks easily... that's what the salesman explained why their teak products all changed their table tops to veneer. :bangwall: need to find old teak furnitures but how to check whether they are besides the hefty $$$ price tag?

Besides price, you can use these other methods of checking

Grain

Look for a smooth grain. The grain in the teak wood is fine, close and lightly toned. Teak does not chip, so it feels smooth to the touch

Color

Check for the colour of the wood, teak has a distinctive color. It is golden yellowish brown and retains its bright gold tones, if sealed.

Density

Teak is dense.The furniture made out of teak, should feel heavy and sturdy.

Fragrance

It comes with a very subtle fragrance, which comes from the oils embedded in the wood.

Construction

Look for furniture piece that is constructed from one or several large pieces of wood, instead of many small pieces glued or screwed together.

Country of Origin

Ask for the country of origin, if possible. Genuine Teak comes only from India, Indonesia, Central America and Africa

Hope this helps=)

Teak wood crack if the wood is not treat properly.

My furniture all teak wood.

Where got crack.

Barang Barang teak wood is good. But too bad, they close liao.

Barang Barang is not closed, there are still few their shops (Marina Square and Sungei Kadut).

But, I'm not sure what they have there 'cos I wasn't at any of them quite long time.......

If you have interest in solid teak wood study table and breakfast/bar set newly delivered to clear due to moving out, do pm me or refer to my posting at the garage sale,

Now adays it hard to find good teak, tree had been chop and less more, further more, there are no natural good minaral which tree gain, most of the forest now absorbs chemical and cause the tree lost it health.

Barang Barang is not closed, there are still few their shops (Marina Square and Sungei Kadut).

But, I'm not sure what they have there 'cos I wasn't at any of them quite long time.......

hi hi Andreja,

the Barang Barang at marina square is not Barang Barang, the shop sales told us they are White Collection (under Furniture and Furnishing) and they didnt remove the Barang Barang signboard.

The direct source will took the teak wood and make furniture. They didn't do a proper treat.

Many yrs back , when I customize my teak wood furniture, the shop owner told us. Our furniture will not able to sent to us in 1 mth time. As they need time to treat the wood.

If don't treat property, wood will not be good.

then it will be a long wait to get my tv console :( put my tv on the floor sounds like a neck breaking thing to do...

Have you considered recycled teak wood furniture instead? Wood, being an organic material, is also subject to expansion and contraction due to temperature changes, which I am guessing is a cause for the cracks. Recycled teak is supposed to be already exposed to the elements for a longer period of time, and thus more resistant and 'seasoned'. I came across a brand called d-Bodhi some time ago which does great recycled teak wood furniture.