Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Andreja

Malacca Woodwork

Already few times at Renotalk I've mentioned my custom made round bookshelves and finally here they are;

This is original pic which I saw at internet

bookcaseelipse.jpg

and this is what I've got after ordering it custom made:

dsc06217resizecopy.jpg

Already 2-3 ago I saw that round bookshelves at internet and since then trying to find someone who can custom made them for me. I've asked at many shops around, but the price of $ 5,000 was really tooooo much - and (what is the best!) no one cannot guaranteed me that the shape will be exactly round like on pic cause they should place order in China and many times happened that delivered items are not quite what was ordered.....so I should pay 5k something which will not look like it should be and I need to be OK with that.... :bangwall:

Well, from time to time at some hotels here in S'pore there are organized some fairs and bazaars ( http://www.facebook.com/fairsandbazaars?ref=stream ). The vendors are usually with clothes, jewelry, deco items, but at one @ Hilton hotel that Malacca Woodwork were there. So, that fairs are NOT furniture fairs, but they were there anyway. Their displayed small furniture items were very nice, especially small wooden bowls made of few wooden pieces. They are married couple with small family business; the man is in workshop and woman care about orders and all other stuff with customers.

I've showed them that photo of bookshelves and first what I've asked was if they can made it exactly like it is at the photo - with no "it's so complicated, I'm not sure, maybe" or whatever else I've heard in some other shops before, the man said "yes, no problem at all"..... :yeah: :yeah:

Second question was about the price and I expected that will be similar like I've received until then, but the lady quoted me less then the half of the best price which I was offered before :D .

The lady took the measurements, draw how that shelves should looks like, I've paid 30% of the price in advance on the spot and promised delivery time was 8 weeks. After I was a little bit worried 'cos I never saw them and never heard about them before, and they are in Malaysia so what if something will go wrong with items delivery or whatever, how I will get my money back.....but, my worries were really unnecessary. People are really very nice, polite, trustworthy and I was surprised about their customer care and communication thru emails with me. Happened that shelves were finished a week before delivery time, which was nice surprise as well :D . They delivered it at exactly agreed time, I didn't wait for them whole day despite that they are coming from Malaysia and must go thru customs. When I saw the shelves first time, I was smiling from ear to ear how I was happy about their look :dancingqueen: . Workmanship is excellent, finish as well, everything is much more than I expected that will be. And, it is made of "indonesian rosewood".

So, I personally have really good experience with Malacca Woodwork ( http://www.malaccawoodwork.com/, and http://www.facebook.com/MalaccaWoodwork?ref=stream ) and I can really recommend them to anyone.

Next week is The Fair @ Hilton hotel 13.-14.09.2012. (more info at FB site which I mentioned above about fairs) and they will be there. So, if someone would like to see what they can offer, as well as maybe to place some orders, it will be chance to spare trip to Malacca and see it at that Fair. Due to lack of space at Fair they cannot display many items, but anyway enough that someone can see their workmanship.

Edited by Andreja

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

There are more pics of them:

dsc06216resize.jpg

dsc06217resize.jpg

dsc06221resize.jpg

Forgot to mention that total high is 140 cm (I mean, the circle is like that). My idea was to place it at baywindow between two windows so that I can normally open the windows.

As well, the space in the lift is limited so it was question if shelves can be tranported in one piece with lift, not that people need to carry them by steps (we are at 12th floor) - happened that the lift width is 20 cm more that my shelves so there were not any problems with transportation to my place (of course, I measured the lift before :dribble: ).

Edited by Andreja

Already few times at Renotalk I've mentioned my custom made round bookshelves and finally here they are;

This is original pic which I saw at internet

bookcaseelipse.jpg

and this is what I've got after ordering it custom made:

dsc06217resizecopy.jpg

Already 2-3 ago I saw that round bookshelves at internet and since then trying to find someone who can custom made them for me. I've asked at many shops around, but the price of $ 5,000 was really tooooo much - and (what is the best!) no one cannot guaranteed me that the shape will be exactly round like on pic cause they should place order in China and many times happened that delivered items are not quite what was ordered.....so I should pay 5k something which will not look like it should be and I need to be OK with that.... :bangwall:

Well, from time to time at some hotels here in S'pore there are organized some fairs and bazaars ( http://www.facebook.com/fairsandbazaars?ref=stream ). The vendors are usually with clothes, jewelry, deco items, but at one @ Hilton hotel that Malacca Woodwork were there. So, that fairs are NOT furniture fairs, but they were there anyway. Their displayed small furniture items were very nice, especially small wooden bowls made of few wooden pieces. They are married couple with small family business; the man is in workshop and woman care about orders and all other stuff with customers.

I've showed them that photo of bookshelves and first what I've asked was if they can made it exactly like it is at the photo - with no "it's so complicated, I'm not sure, maybe" or whatever else I've heard in some other shops before, the man said "yes, no problem at all"..... :yeah: :yeah:

Second question was about the price and I expected that will be similar like I've received until then, but the lady quoted me less then the half of the best price which I was offered before :D .

The lady took the measurements, draw how that shelves should looks like, I've paid 30% of the price in advance on the spot and promised delivery time was 8 weeks. After I was a little bit worried 'cos I never saw them and never heard about them before, and they are in Malaysia so what if something will go wrong with items delivery or whatever, how I will get my money back.....but, my worries were really unnecessary. People are really very nice, polite, trustworthy and I was surprised about their customer care and communication thru emails with me. Happened that shelves were finished a week before delivery time, which was nice surprise as well :D . They delivered it at exactly agreed time, I didn't wait for them whole day despite that they are coming from Malaysia and must go thru customs. When I saw the shelves first time, I was smiling from ear to ear how I was happy about their look :dancingqueen: . Workmanship is excellent, finish as well, everything is much more than I expected that will be. And, it is made of "indonesian rosewood".

So, I personally have really good experience with Malacca Woodwork ( http://www.malaccawoodwork.com/, and http://www.facebook.com/MalaccaWoodwork?ref=stream ) and I can really recommend them to anyone.

Next week is The Fair @ Hilton hotel 13.-14.09.2012. (more info at FB site which I mentioned above about fairs) and they will be there. So, if someone would like to see what they can offer, as well as maybe to place some orders, it will be chance to spare trip to Malacca and see it at that Fair. Due to lack of space at Fair they cannot display many items, but anyway enough that someone can see their workmanship.

Thanks for sharing ur masterpiece.

Can share the rough dimension of the shelves and its damage? I am interested in a piece of woodcraft, but carpentry are sharpening their blades when they saw my intended image...

Thanks for sharing ur masterpiece.

Can share the rough dimension of the shelves and its damage? I am interested in a piece of woodcraft, but carpentry are sharpening their blades when they saw my intended image...

I mentioned that in one post above that total high is 140 cm (so, circle is that diameter as well). Depth is 30 cm.

I will PM you about the cost. I mean, I do not hide the cost of it, but - this is custom made and the price I've paid is exactly for that. I really respect that people and their very good workmanship, and I don't want that someone maybe will get that my cost like comparison and use it to bargain with them for own items. So, I will not publish it, but will PM to anyone who is interested.

I mentioned that in one post above that total high is 140 cm (so, circle is that diameter as well). Depth is 30 cm.

I will PM you about the cost. I mean, I do not hide the cost of it, but - this is custom made and the price I've paid is exactly for that. I really respect that people and their very good workmanship, and I don't want that someone maybe will get that my cost like comparison and use it to bargain with them for own items. So, I will not publish it, but will PM to anyone who is interested.

Thanks a lot for your information.

I also agree with you that these days, good workmanship is hard to come by and from your image, it is really a fine piece of woodcraft. Can I check with you the personnel you were in touch with, i plan to email them an image and seek their views on fabrication.

Thanks a lot for your information.

I also agree with you that these days, good workmanship is hard to come by and from your image, it is really a fine piece of woodcraft. Can I check with you the personnel you were in touch with, i plan to email them an image and seek their views on fabrication.

As I wrote above at the end of my first post:

Next week is The Fair @ Hilton hotel 13.-14.09.2012. ((13.09. (Thu) -> 10am-7pm; 14.09. (Fri) -> 10am-5pm)), admission free!

Malacca Woodwork will be there as one of the vendors. So, if someone would like to see what they can offer, as well as maybe to place some orders, it will be chance to spare trip to Malacca and see them at that Fair. Due to lack of space at Fair they cannot display many items, but anyway enough that someone can see their workmanship.

When they were at that last Fair a year ago when I first met them, there were owners Ms Patricia Lim and her husband (sorry, I cannot recall his name). As I understood, Ms Patricia is dealing with orders and her husband is main carpenter. First he saw my photo of bookshelves, confirm that they can be done exactly like on photo and after I spoke with Ms Patricia about quotation and time of delivery. Later on, I was in correspondence with Ms Patricia thru emails.

If you cannot visit The Fair @ Hilton and speak with them in person ('cos of your working hours or whatsoever), their contact info can be found at their web site http://www.malaccawoodwork.com/ . Ms Patricia wrote me from email address "mwpatl@.....", but I think that she will reply from any other address published there. However, I will strongly recommend you to go and meet them at The Fair, especially if your order is something 'special'.

Just to highlight again - this is NOT any kind of furniture fair. The vendors are usually with clothes, jewelry, deco items and so on, and Malacca Woodwork is only vendor with some furniture items. In Hilton will be more fairs in the next few months by the same name "The Fair", but (as far as I know) this one in September is the only one when they will be present because they are coming in S'pore only once a year.

Edited by Andreja

As I wrote above at the end of my first post:

Next week is The Fair @ Hilton hotel 13.-14.09.2012. ((13.09. (Thu) -> 10am-7pm; 14.09. (Fri) -> 10am-5pm)), admission free!

Malacca Woodwork will be there as one of the vendors. So, if someone would like to see what they can offer, as well as maybe to place some orders, it will be chance to spare trip to Malacca and see them at that Fair. Due to lack of space at Fair they cannot display many items, but anyway enough that someone can see their workmanship.

When they were at that last Fair a year ago when I first met them, there were owners Ms Patricia Lim and her husband (sorry, I cannot recall his name). As I understood, Ms Patricia is dealing with orders and her husband is main carpenter. First he saw my photo of bookshelves, confirm that they can be done exactly like on photo and after I spoke with Ms Patricia about quotation and time of delivery. Later on, I was in correspondence with Ms Patricia thru emails.

If you cannot visit The Fair @ Hilton and speak with them in person ('cos of your working hours or whatsoever), their contact info can be found at their web site http://www.malaccawoodwork.com/ . Ms Patricia wrote me from email address "mwpatl@.....", but I think that she will reply from any other address published there. However, I will strongly recommend you to go and meet them at The Fair, especially if your order is something 'special'.

Just to highlight again - this is NOT any kind of furniture fair. The vendors are usually with clothes, jewelry, deco items and so on, and Malacca Woodwork is only vendor with some furniture items. In Hilton will be more fairs in the next few months by the same name "The Fair", but (as far as I know) this one in September is the only one when they will be present because they are coming in S'pore only once a year.

oh went to the fair this afternoon i thought i was in a lady club, i think i m the only guy there beside the male vendor there ,the vendor is mostly ang moh and indian vendor and the customer mostly are the expat wives and the stuff they sell is stuff that the expat tai tai will buy for their home and stuff they will wear , no modern stuff , mostly home decor that u might see in expat living magazine, did saw malaccawork and they do hv nice workmanship for their item and they are friendly and nice too so do visit them

Edited by rayfox

oh went to the fair this afternoon i thought i was in a lady club, i think i m the only guy there beside the male vendor there ,the vendor is mostly ang moh and indian vendor and the customer mostly are the expat wives and the stuff they sell is stuff that the expat tai tai will buy for their home and stuff they will wear , no modern stuff , mostly home decor that u might see in expat living magazine, did saw malaccawork and they do hv nice workmanship for their item and they are friendly and nice too so do visit them

:rofl:

Very picturesque description, I must say..... :D

I went to the Fair as well today and saw Mrs Patricia and her husband there..... I was really glad to see them again.