Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jaykr

My First Home - Reference Book & Process Log.

Engineered stone :

Quartz:

Also known as engineered stone, quartz is a blend of stone chips, resins, and pigments. It's an ideal material for high-traffic applications. It comes in many vibrant colors and styles that mimic granite and marble.

Pros :

It survived a gauntlet of spills, hot pots, knives, and more with top scores, and it doesn't have to be sealed for stain protection. Because it's waterproof, it's a sound choice to be paired with under mounted sinks.

Does not require sealants.

Scratch-resistant with diamond-like hardness, you can cut on quartz (excessive force can damage it, however).

Consistent color.

Its non-porous nature makes it virtually stain-free.

Cons:

Quartz won't resist impacts as well as granite, and its edges can chip.

Some patterns can appear unnaturally uniform, although manufacturers are trying for a more random look closer to natural stone.

Though it can briefly tolerate moderate temperatures for a brief time, you'll want to use a hot pad or trivet when placing a hot pan on it.

Maintenance :

Though it's important to always follow your manufacturer's specific instructions, quartz surfacing producer Cambria recommends washing with warm water and a pH neutral, non-abrasive cleaner.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

There is another kitchen top called kompactop which I plan to use ... U may google it for more details ~

There is another kitchen top called kompactop which I plan to use ... U may google it for more details ~

Thank you eekenji. It seems there is not much info on the counter-top. Most of the info is from the company itself.

Nonetheless, I will try to do a write up if I can get more details.

I did a bit of research and it seems to be actually laminate but a different type called HPL - High Pressure Laminate. Seems interesting.

But I think it might not be suitable for me due to some of the details in warranty plus is thickness is not to my needs.

I am thinking of going towards a Quartz but its a material called Quartzlite.

Thank you for bringing it up to my attention.

Regards.

Jaykr.

Edited by jaykr

Kitchen Cabinet :

If you’ll live in the home for a short time, you can select a basic style of cabinets. But if this is going to be your “dream kitchen”, you should look for top-quality construction.

There are basically three types of kitchen cabinet types :

Stock Kitchen Cabinets These include mass produced models that install easily but usually can’t be modified to your individual taste except by paint or stain. Stock cabinets cost the least, install the easiest, and are the most readily available.

Semi-Custom Kitchen Cabinets Similar to stock cabinets because they are mass produced, the homeowner may order basic changes in size and even select from a fairly wide range of finishes, moldings, and trim.

Custom Kitchen Cabinets In many cases custom actually means semi-custom with more modification choices. If someone wants uniquely designed kitchen cabinets, which defines the true meaning of “custom” he or she should expect to pay top dollar

Framed vs. Unframed Cabinets

resourcephoto_framedvsframeless1.gif

Framed cabinetry is constructed with a frame attached to the front of the cabinet box. The frame is usually, 3/4″ solid hardwood with door hinges secured to it. Framed cabinetry offers less storage space and accessibility than frameless construction.

A framed cabinet looks exquisite when designed with an “inset” where the door and drawer front sit entirely within the boundaries of the frame. This look is common to vintage furniture but can also lend a contemporary feel depending on other design elements. The doors on a framed box can also be designed as “full overlay”, meaning that the doors and drawer fronts cover the frame completely for a look that is the same as frameless cabinetry.

Frameless cabinetry is often referred to as “full access” or “European Box”, where doors are hinged directly to the cabinet box. When opening the doors you will see the edge of the box instead of a frame (Figure 1). This construction style allows “full-access” to shelves because it doesn’t require “stiles” (center partitions) that hinder free movement of stored items. Storage space is maximized; since there is no frame to contend with, drawers and roll-out shelves can be wider than with framed cabinetry.

Frameless Cabinets are easy to mount shelves. Slide the shelf straight in, rather than diagonally as you would do with framed kitchen cabinets.

More storage room because no obstructing of the frame.

Composition of Kitchen Cabinets

MDF or Particle Board Construction

From rustic and un-even dimensions of kitchen cabinetry of yesteryears to the timeless styles offered today, kitchen cabinets are composed of many different types of materials. Lower end cabinets, those often found pre-assembled in national home improvement and specialized department stores, are mainly comprised of MDF (Medium density fiber board) or particle board. Appearing to be of high quality, kitchen cabinets comprised of MDF or particle board are subject to moisture retention with seam separation commonly noted.

Plywood Construction

Kitchen cabinets constructed of ½” plywood are perhaps the most economical with increased durability. Cabinet boxes constructed with rigid plywood offer greater resistance to moisture with extended wear; enduring for many years after all warranty expiration.

Source: Consumer Reports

What separates a well-made cabinet from a cheap imitation? Here are the cabinet features to look for--and what to avoid.

Cabinet box

Best is ½- to ¾-inch furniture-grade plywood. Medium-density fiberboard (MDF) is OK, but avoid 3/8-inch coated particleboard.

Doors

Most manufacturers offer a similar range of door-style options for all their price levels. Look for a solid-wood frame surrounding solid-wood or plywood panels. Veneered particleboard or an MDF panel is OK, but avoid laminate or thermofoil over particleboard.

Drawers

Well-built drawers are critical, because they get the most use. The best ones have solid-wood sides, dovetail joinery, and a plywood bottom that fits grooves on four sides. Avoid stapled particleboard.

Hardware

Full-extension drawer guides are better than integrated side rails or under-mounted double-roller designs.

Shelves

Look for ¾-inch plywood or MDF. Lesser-quality 5/8- or ½-inch particleboard shelves may sag.

Mounting strips

Ask the contractor to use ¾-inch hardwood strips or metal strips with bolt holes. Thinner wood, MDF, or particleboard can be a concern with heavily loaded wall cabinets.

Aluminum Cabinets :

I am looking at getting Aluminum cabinets. Anyone used Aluminum for your kitchen? wardrobe? etc..

Pros :

1) Aluminum doesn’t rust, good for places with high moisture.

2) Extremely corrosion resistant, good for Kitchens , wash areas etc.

Cons:

1) Aluminum is reactive, and might discolor if splattered with something acidic

Aluminum is a lighter-weight, slightly whiter-hued kitchen cabinet finishing material compared to stainless steel. It comes with an anodized finish, which is important for protecting the metal over time as unfinished aluminum oxidizes rapidly. As with stainless steel cabinet doors, aluminum doors can be placed on a wide variety of cabinet box materials.