Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
momiji

Same Floor For The Whole House

except bathroom.

Is it okay? or boring?

I am thinking of a particular wood tile for my living, kitchen and 3 bedroom as we like the tiles and due to certain factors (supplier doesnt have stock for another wood color tiles).

Should I have a different color for the kitchen? Would it be more interesting?

Would like to hear from the other homeowners your views?

thanks.

Edited by momiji

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

except bathroom.

Is it okay? or boring?

I am thinking of a particular wood tile for my living, kitchen and 3 bedroom as we like the tiles and due to certain factors (supplier doesnt have stock for another wood color tiles).

thanks.

well it your home , so long u like it and u think it suit your design , just do what you want there is no right or wrong when come to design just make sure the tile is easy to clean if it get sticky from cooking

except bathroom.

Is it okay? or boring?

thanks.

Agree with Rayfox. As long as you like it should be fine. But have to consider you gonna be staying there for 10 odd years, so can be a bit mundane, everyday seeing the same tiles for the whole house. So you've gotta see yourself whether you will get bored or not, looking at the same tiles for the next 10 years.

:yamseng: ,

Mike

except bathroom.

Is it okay? or boring?

thanks.

Hi , just my personal view on this topic... I feel that if use same floor for the whole house is kind of monotonous... It will look better if u can differentiate different areas with different floor tiles (or colour)...

Different ppl have different views and the person staying there is you, so most important is you like what u choose...

i'm also thinking of doing that, cause it can give the illusion of bigger space by not drawing the boundaries. but yup, provided the same tiles suit your design throughout the house!

I have same tiles from kitchen to living and bedrooms. It's makes the whole place very spacious but you have to be careful when choosing tiles. The tile must be suitable for kitchen (not slippery) and yet cosy for bedrooms.

i'm also thinking of doing that, cause it can give the illusion of bigger space by not drawing the boundaries. but yup, provided the same tiles suit your design throughout the house!

I have same tiles from kitchen to living and bedrooms. It's makes the whole place very spacious but you have to be careful when choosing tiles. The tile must be suitable for kitchen (not slippery) and yet cosy for bedrooms.

hi there, care to explain how by not drawing boundaries create the illusion of bigger space when the bedroom are usually separated by walls n a door ? Maybe kitchen u can say open concept but how does it work for a bedroom(unless its a studio apt) with just a small opening or with a closed door ? Theres no right or wrong here but im interested to know how you guys think ?

Added fixtures like mirrors, lightings n colouring of the wall n ceiling helps in giving a better illusion of bigger space. Walls, ceilings n furnitures are the ones that can make a room feel smaller n seldom u see flooring does that...

I am also having the same floor tiles(60 x 60) for the whole unit. Illusion wise it does makes ur house looks bigger (when ur unit is empty without furnitures or carpentry hahaha). As everyone mentioned, it really depends on individual preference.I do not see the need to "tell" myself :thumbs up: that i am entering the kitchen or bedrooms etc.

Anyway, i have an open concept kitchen. Last but not least, the tiles chosen must be suitable for all areas of cos and I believe your tiler will have a better planning and layout using same tiles.

Cheers!

I am also having the same floor tiles(60 x 60) for the whole unit. Illusion wise it does makes ur house looks bigger (when ur unit is empty without furnitures or carpentry hahaha). As everyone mentioned, it really depends on individual preference.I do not see the need to "tell" myself :thumbs up: that i am entering the kitchen or bedrooms etc.

Anyway, i have an open concept kitchen. Last but not least, the tiles chosen must be suitable for all areas of cos and I believe your tiler will have a better planning and layout using same tiles.

Cheers!

Dont get me wrong, im not trying to change the threadstarter's mind in using different tiles. Of course theres no need to "tell" urself where u are entering when u are staying in ur own house, let me cite an example... Something like, u wear a denim jeans (trousers/skirt) then u match with a denim shirt/top, a denim shoe and maybe a denim cap ... Theres no right or wrong but im just trying to explain different areas using different tiles idea.

It is definitely an easy job for the tiler to lay whole unit same tiles, less headache and probably less touchup work required. :yamseng:

Was thinking of using the same glossy Homogeneous tiles for living and kitchen.... but ID warn that the kitchen can be come slippery if so...

your id is right... if you cook often, your floor will be oily n very slippery... alot of work to clean up an oily and glossy surface. Also people coming out of the toilet are prone to slip if their feet are wet.

i have wood-grain tiles for the whole house, and i specifically wanted the same tiles for whole house to create the illusion of continuous space..i suppose it's sub-conscious, it feels bigger as your mind will process the rooms AND corridor as one instead of 2 different (smaller) areas when you use different tiles..

btw, my floor tiles are quite 'rough' and suitable for kitchen..toilet tiles were provided by HDB and we didn't change it..

it's just like how nude heels can elongate your legs and create an illusion of 'longer' legs..or how girls would avoid 'cutting' your body into different parts that creates the illusion of shorter legs and torso..i guess only girls could understand this.. :P

Edited by theitsybits

it's just like how nude heels can elongate your legs and create an illusion of 'longer' legs..or how girls would avoid 'cutting' your body into different parts that creates the illusion of shorter legs and torso..i guess only girls could understand this.. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxIgAVSFOVI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Enjoy!

i have wood-grain tiles for the whole house, and i specifically wanted the same tiles for whole house to create the illusion of continuous space..i suppose it's sub-conscious, it feels bigger as your mind will process the rooms AND corridor as one instead of 2 different (smaller) areas when you use different tiles..

btw, my floor tiles are quite 'rough' and suitable for kitchen..toilet tiles were provided by HDB and we didn't change it..

yes, i agreed. I think girls would understand better the illusion of bigger space like wearing clothes.

because its same tiles throughout, most of my friends that came to my house feels its much bigger. flooring is the 2nd biggest piece in the home other than walls. so when its continuously 1 tile throughout, it makes the floor area seem bigger.