Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
chingz2603

Moving House Ceremony

Hi there, we have bought a resale condo and will be collecting the keys tmr.

Will like to seek urgent advice from here if anyone can share what are the things that we need to do on the MOVE IN ceremony.

Is there any masters out there who are reliable to perform such rituals? i.e. choosing suitable move in dates from the Chinese Alamanac and to assist in the ceremony?

Been really headache abt it...

So far, these are who we have gathered.

Chinese Customs And Culture For House Moving

2010.07.27 06:36:48

1. Find a suitable auspicious day and time according to Tong Shu/Sheng (The Chinese Almanac); the selection of auspicious date should take into consideration of the birth data of the family members, but priority is given to the house-owner/patriarch.

2. Prior the appointed date, light up the house for 3 consecutive nights (do make sure that all the light bulbs are working).

3. At the appointed auspicious day and time (usually before noon and do move in before noon), before entering the house, say a prayer at the door and proclaim that you are the rightful owner of the house and claim for its ownership and possession and politely ask any 'uninvited guest' to leave (or perform religious ritual/rite according to your religious beliefs).

4. Enter the house with your sale and purchase agreement (and marriage certificate for newly wed couple).

5. Before moving other things in, locate and position the altar, and perform the necessary sacred ceremony/rites.

6. Open all the door, windows, lights, water pipe, heater, electricity/gas appliance (to make sure and declare everything is functioning). We clean the energies or Qi in the house by opening all the windows to let fresh air flow through the house.

7. Let the water run and gas burn for approximately 3 minutes - this is to signify the flow of energy/qi in the house.

8. Now invite others to come in (and no one should enter empty handed) Bring the 5 necessities for kitchen (cooking oil, salt, sauce, vinegar, rice) and some Chinese customs say bring a: brush and broom, bucket filled with water, pairs of chopstick or fork and spoon. (Some Chinese even bring a charcoal cooker with burned charcoal from the old/parents' house to symbolize the "Passing on" of a generation or some said, representing a "burning success".

9. Cook some things, boil a kettle of water and cook some things sweet and/or a light meal with your family members.

10. If the furniture was placed in previously [see note below] (they should not be placed at the exact location) position them properly at the appropriate location.

11. If the furniture has not been place in, put them in now.

12. Put NEW money/red pocket at where you should normally keep your money - desk drawer/safe, preferably the wealth corner.

13. Put sweets on all tables and desks - stands for good fortune.

14. Pack enough clothing for (at least) a night stay (because of clause 15).

15. Do make sure that you and the family members stay and sleep for the night after moving in.

Note:

1. Don't move house when there is a pregnant woman in the family, or at least the pregnant woman should not be at the scene on the day of moving.

2. At the day of moving, say good things, and avoid any dispute.

3. Some Chinese folks use mixture of salt and rice for house cleansing purposes, but I believe a prayer would do.

4. After moving in, organize a 'house-warming' party for lunch or dinner; the presence of guests would bring favourable 'Yang/Sheng Qi' to the house.

5. There is no need to move 'everything' in at the appointed date, other minor things can be moved in at a later time.

6. It is Chinese custom to assemble the cooker and the bed on another date (according to auspicious date from the Tong Shu) before the moving in date. But then the cooker should be dis-assembled from its connector, and the bed not placed at its exact intended location. The bed-sheet of the bed should only be made at the moving in day.

7. Any charms or talismans at the old house should be properly disposed off.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Chingz2603,

Thank you so much for the useful information. It is really helpful for me cos i will be moving alone. But what type of prayer should i say before entering the house? Do you know of any good dates to shift in November?

I will be alone, most probably only a friend to help me on the day of shifting. Must i get more people? I am so loss and confused, at the same time is afraid that without doing proper shifting "procedure" will be no good. Really appreciate if you could share more of your experience.

Thank you

Cheers

Paige

Hi there, we have bought a resale condo and will be collecting the keys tmr.

Will like to seek urgent advice from here if anyone can share what are the things that we need to do on the MOVE IN ceremony.

Is there any masters out there who are reliable to perform such rituals? i.e. choosing suitable move in dates from the Chinese Alamanac and to assist in the ceremony?

Been really headache abt it...

So far, these are who we have gathered.

Chinese Customs And Culture For House Moving

2010.07.27 06:36:48

1. Find a suitable auspicious day and time according to Tong Shu/Sheng (The Chinese Almanac); the selection of auspicious date should take into consideration of the birth data of the family members, but priority is given to the house-owner/patriarch.

2. Prior the appointed date, light up the house for 3 consecutive nights (do make sure that all the light bulbs are working).

3. At the appointed auspicious day and time (usually before noon and do move in before noon), before entering the house, say a prayer at the door and proclaim that you are the rightful owner of the house and claim for its ownership and possession and politely ask any 'uninvited guest' to leave (or perform religious ritual/rite according to your religious beliefs).

4. Enter the house with your sale and purchase agreement (and marriage certificate for newly wed couple).

5. Before moving other things in, locate and position the altar, and perform the necessary sacred ceremony/rites.

6. Open all the door, windows, lights, water pipe, heater, electricity/gas appliance (to make sure and declare everything is functioning). We clean the energies or Qi in the house by opening all the windows to let fresh air flow through the house.

7. Let the water run and gas burn for approximately 3 minutes - this is to signify the flow of energy/qi in the house.

8. Now invite others to come in (and no one should enter empty handed) Bring the 5 necessities for kitchen (cooking oil, salt, sauce, vinegar, rice) and some Chinese customs say bring a: brush and broom, bucket filled with water, pairs of chopstick or fork and spoon. (Some Chinese even bring a charcoal cooker with burned charcoal from the old/parents' house to symbolize the "Passing on" of a generation or some said, representing a "burning success".

9. Cook some things, boil a kettle of water and cook some things sweet and/or a light meal with your family members.

10. If the furniture was placed in previously [see note below] (they should not be placed at the exact location) position them properly at the appropriate location.

11. If the furniture has not been place in, put them in now.

12. Put NEW money/red pocket at where you should normally keep your money - desk drawer/safe, preferably the wealth corner.

13. Put sweets on all tables and desks - stands for good fortune.

14. Pack enough clothing for (at least) a night stay (because of clause 15).

15. Do make sure that you and the family members stay and sleep for the night after moving in.

Note:

1. Don't move house when there is a pregnant woman in the family, or at least the pregnant woman should not be at the scene on the day of moving.

2. At the day of moving, say good things, and avoid any dispute.

3. Some Chinese folks use mixture of salt and rice for house cleansing purposes, but I believe a prayer would do.

4. After moving in, organize a 'house-warming' party for lunch or dinner; the presence of guests would bring favourable 'Yang/Sheng Qi' to the house.

5. There is no need to move 'everything' in at the appointed date, other minor things can be moved in at a later time.

6. It is Chinese custom to assemble the cooker and the bed on another date (according to auspicious date from the Tong Shu) before the moving in date. But then the cooker should be dis-assembled from its connector, and the bed not placed at its exact intended location. The bed-sheet of the bed should only be made at the moving in day.

7. Any charms or talismans at the old house should be properly disposed off.

4th of Nov 2012 Sunday is a good date, day is snake day...decent time will all the way from 11am to 4.59pm . However, have to see your own bazi to know if the good time will clash with yourself or not..

8th Nov 2012 althought is a good date too but not very good for moving house....

14th th Nov date also not bad but not really sutable for moving house....

17th Nov 2012 also a good date but not advicable to move in house...

29th Nov also good date but not very good for move in house...

I can gv u many dates, but ur data i dun have.. cannot anyhow choose for u..

To add on to the already posted general infos for moving in house..

If want superstitious...

1)When u set off from car, or driving in to your place> make offerings to the vicinity "na tok" area god..

2)When making home altar is not so simple..(depends on religion)> Have to have a piece of concrete slab from your own home to be the base on your "di zhu" ..please take note to offer 9 joss sticks...not only 3 joss-sticks like some others.

3)many more but.....