Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
JL1516

Westside Reno Story

Starting a T blog is very unlike me. But there is a first time to everything.

We got a new apartment in the west. This would also be our 3rd move in about 6 years. So in a way I'm a little less excited and unfazed about the reno (especially having experienced some real bad jobs before)

Nevertheless with age piling up, the inertia to relocate gets higher. And worries about whether we will like the new place, and if it will be as good, if not better than our current place :unsure:

But back to the new place, this is a regular 4 BR layout. caspian-1399sft-floor-plan1.jpg

What I have always found a challenge is such a narrow living hall, which can make the place feel claustrophobic if not utilised properly.

Personally I prefer such a living space,amy3.jpg where there is wide frontage and access to larger span of windows. :dribble: Incidentally I also like such warm colours and furnishing

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

This is the view from our balcony

PB060189.jpg

This is the interior. PB060193.jpg

It's really quite a compact place, so I have been trying to make sure we do not have too many things or large pieces which will make the place feel congested.

This is the view from our balcony

PB060189.jpg

This is the interior. PB060193.jpg

It's really quite a compact place, so I have been trying to make sure we do not have too many things or large pieces which will make the place feel congested.

welcome!!

Nice view and layout u had there.. huge.. ur family must be big... lol. may i know which area?

welcome!!

Nice view and layout u had there.. huge.. ur family must be big... lol. may i know which area?

sorry i think u mentioned west side.. lol silly me.. love ur balcony!

sorry i think u mentioned west side.. lol silly me.. love ur balcony!

Thank you for the warm welcome and nice words. :yamseng:

Another 'first' I have with this unit is to have engaged an ID+contractor. All the renovations I have previously had were done by 100% contractors. These were people who came to see your unit, asked you to tell them what you wanted, then scribbled the quote on a piece of paper. Then when the work was done, you will get a shock, and they will tell you 'it's like that one' :bangwall:

This was why I had originally intended to keep renovations to a minimal for this unit, ie buy off the shelf and have as little fixtures as possible. In fact, as most fittings were done, any additional works were minor. Hence many contractors would not even be interested, let alone IDs.

But while buying off the shelf would generally be a cheaper option than customisation, the risk was that one may end up with a 'rental unit' look.

So it was with a little luck that I stumbled upon this forum, and saw the 'strictly scandinavian' blog by Lunareverie, and decided to check out the same contractor ID Jiawei of TWCS. Impression was good, he appeared sincere and earnest, very glad he was not the PCK type of contractor, but your regular GenX/Y buddy character that you could actually talk to. Good that he spent time listening and also contributing his ideas, and was not just commercially driven

Some reno should start this week, so I'll try to share some of the initial ideas I had over next few posts...

Thank you for the warm welcome and nice words. :yamseng:

Another 'first' I have with this unit is to have engaged an ID+contractor. All the renovations I have previously had were done by 100% contractors. These were people who came to see your unit, asked you to tell them what you wanted, then scribbled the quote on a piece of paper. Then when the work was done, you will get a shock, and they will tell you 'it's like that one' :bangwall:

This was why I had originally intended to keep renovations to a minimal for this unit, ie buy off the shelf and have as little fixtures as possible. In fact, as most fittings were done, any additional works were minor. Hence many contractors would not even be interested, let alone IDs.

But while buying off the shelf would generally be a cheaper option than customisation, the risk was that one may end up with a 'rental unit' look.

So it was with a little luck that I stumbled upon this forum, and saw the 'strictly scandinavian' blog by Lunareverie, and decided to check out the same contractor ID Jiawei of TWCS. Impression was good, he appeared sincere and earnest, very glad he was not the PCK type of contractor, but your regular GenX/Y buddy character that you could actually talk to. Good that he spent time listening and also contributing his ideas, and was not just commercially driven

Some reno should start this week, so I'll try to share some of the initial ideas I had over next few posts...

Hahaha PCK is best in Singpaore, Batam and JB right. What does contractor ID mean? Is he a contractor or ID or in between Contractor plus ID? :bleah: Blur me...

Hi JL1516!

Love e view! Ur house sure looks big! Hw big issit ya?

Will be camping here to see more pics!

It's actually 1389 sqft. Would have liked something bigger, as I like a spacious and uncluttered habitat. Since space is fixed, I guess will have to work harder on the 'uncluttered' part.

Welcome to the wild wild west :dribble:

C your reno pics soon

:yamseng:

Thanks I do like the area.

Hahaha PCK is best in Singpaore, Batam and JB right. What does contractor ID mean? Is he a contractor or ID or in between Contractor plus ID? :bleah: Blur me...

I think he is trying to transition between a pure ID to eventually ID cum contractor...frankly I'm not too sure myself :D Will ask him one day.

Well, while waiting for the work to start, can tell a bit of story...

When I started, I had this concept of creating a 'tree' as a feature piece... a bit like this

PA120064.jpg

I sent JW a couple of tree pictures. Was thinking he would probably dismiss them, but on the contrary, he became quite excited about the concept of creating a feature tree. He sketched out a concept of a 'big tree' feature in the living hall wall. Whilst it was technically challenging, he seemed game to try. But at that point it was me who started to chicken out :unsure: cos I was not too sure how it would turn out, and what I could do if I got sick of it after some time. I also wasn't sure if he would give me a tree like this...

tree.jpg

and I certainly did not like the idea of sitting under a spooky tree to watch TV :unsure:

so the idea was called off...

Anyway this was a set of chairs I liked at the start of my planning. I was on the verge of getting them when I realised that the buttons can be dislodged easily, especially when you had naughty kids :disturb: ... so it was called off too.

ID3.gif

There is something I am still mulling over though... I have a toilet that is like this. It has a toilet bowl and a sink, and nothing else. And yes, no windows

powderrm.jpg

It's officially called a powder room. :dunno:

I am suspecting they call it that because you can probably only use it to powder your face.

And if anyone happens to crap inside 8| the stink will make you turn so green that you have to put even more powder.

Not sure if anyone has experience with such a set up? How does one ventilate such a room?

Hi!!!! So glad that u are using Jiawei too. Couldn't agree more to your description of Jiawei. He's a great and patient guy. Even my dad is impressed by his humble, honest and sincere way of approaching things. It's good that he is opened to ideas and can help advice us with what works or what not, as he has ID background.

I do agree on the sofa thing with buttons, kids will have itchy hand and then to do funny things with it. I think you have good taste on the furniture, so excited to see what are your options.:thumbs up:

Keep the pictures coming. I'm excited to see how he create yr space, must be nice! :sport-smiley-004:

I do agree on the sofa thing with buttons, kids will have itchy hand and then to do funny things with it. I think you have good taste on the furniture, so excited to see what are your options.:thumbs up:

Keep the pictures coming. I'm excited to see how he create yr space, must be nice! :sport-smiley-004:

Thanks much for your contact! :yamseng: I can see now that work has begun how difficult it would be to coordinate everyone, if there was no central person.

I went to quite a few places to look at sofa sets, eg Lorgans, Tan Boon Liat shops, Lush, even Ikea.

Unfortunately the great to look at ones, eg the retro midcentury ones, were not exactly very comfortable to sit on, as they characteristically only had thin cushions or prickly fabric. Actually I quite liked the Ikea stockholm sofa, but at 3999, the price was un-Ikea-ish.

Eventually the scanteak warehouse sale proved too much temptation, and I got this piece

sofa.jpg

Nothing fancy, but clean lines. :D

What I liked about this was you could get cushion and cover replacements from them, even for models no longer in production (so they claim)

Edited by JL1516