Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
inthechouse

A Canvas To Our Imagination: Thoreau

Hi guys,

We're starting our renovation soon and thought we'd like to share the process here, as we've gained many tips from reading the Renotalk forums and blogs the last few months. :)

Here's the floorplan. It's a four-room resale flat in the North-east.

-6_zps08ff55fc.jpg

Hacking works include all existing wall and floor tiles, and a doorway opening between the masterbedroom and bedroom 3.

Carpentry is minimal- just a wardrobe and only bottom cabinets for the kitchen. For the kitchen counter top, we decided to go with quartz rather than solid surface as we will be doing quite a bit of heavy cooking. We also don't plan to have a TV feature wall.

Overall, we're going for a simplicity meets Scandinavian look, and hope to do so within a modest budget!

We'll be reviewing the IDs/contractors we met up with in our next post!

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, have a question for you guys.

One of the contractors has quoted to erect a hollow block behind the kitchen sink as a wall support.

My kitchen counter layout is a c shape, and the sink will be opposite the window, where the washing machine will be.

Is this item necessary? It costs $400.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Makanology, thanks for the welcome!

How does it help to support the sink? I assume the sink is already supported by the carpentry right?

Sorry, we're not very well-versed in such reno matters, and have many questions!

Hello inthec2house,

Your bedroom 2 layout is similar to mine! :notti: I was also considering using quartz for my kitchen countertop but wen II saw eekenji's countertop I fell in love wit it. So am going to go for kompacplus but am worried at the same time as I cook everyday too

One question though, why are you not doing your top cabinets?

The hollow support wall at the back helps support the carpentry which in turn, supports the sink. This is what we see for ours :)

Hmm- one contractor quoted the hollow block wall but the other didn't, so we were wondering if it is a must-have!

The hollow support wall at the back helps support the carpentry which in turn, supports the sink. This is what we see for ours :)

Makanology: If it's not too much trouble, could you post a photo of your hollow block/sink area? Still trying to make up my mind... lol.

Iceage: Yeah as Pster commented, top cabinets will be an additional cost. Trying to keep things simple and price low. Will add on if it turns out I need the space later. :)

You can try not hacking the whole kitchen wall, keep it and hack only the floor.

Use the cost save from the hacking and place it into the top cabinets.

The wall space between top and bottom cabinets cover it with a glass back splash.

If you work out the sums, the hacking and re-tiling will be a few thousands for a kitchen of your size.

The hassle of getting top cabinets later is not worth the cost save now.

Edited by OceanEleven

Hi ocean eleven,

Thanks for your advice. :)

Actually we did think of keeping the wall tiles but they really don't go with how we want the house to look. They're original tiles from 1986 and not in too good a condition.

To save costs, and also cos we like the look, we are going for cement screed for all the walks except a back splash like you described, with tiles. If the cement screed geys ugly cracks etc after a few years we will then paint them over.

We do plan to have one full height cabinet included so hopefully it will be enough and we can make do! :)

Makanology: If it's not too much trouble, could you post a photo of your hollow block/sink area? Still trying to make up my mind... lol.

11143385793_94529bb5c9.jpg

Hollow block wall for sink support by Makanology, on Flickr

I think the hollow block wall will be a better support than just depending on the kitchen cabinet to hold the sink. Our sink is granite so it is pretty heavy.

Coincidentally the wall now serves as a support for the baby gate for our dog. We didn't thought about this earlier as we only got our dog after we moved in.

• Like 1

Actually we did think of keeping the wall tiles but they really don't go with how we want the house to look. They're original tiles from 1986 and not in too good a condition.

To save costs, and also cos we like the look, we are going for cement screed for all the walks except a back splash like you described, with tiles. If the cement screed geys ugly cracks etc after a few years we will then paint them over.

We do plan to have one full height cabinet included so hopefully it will be enough and we can make do! :)

Ok understood. For me,storage is very important due to all the little appliances, pots & pans, groceries etc.

I will be keeping my wall tiles, hacking the floor only, doing top & bottom cabinets, running along the full length of the kitchen.

Concealing the exposed walls with glass back splash. Cost of hack and re tiling goes into the carpentry.

I dont see the point to hack the wall, re tile and only to be covered by cabinets. :)

Makanology- it looks good! We would probably be getting it as well.

Qn for you re: the baby gate. It can only be opened and closed but cannot be fully detached easily right? We have a dog too and will be confining her to the kitchen area when we are out. We are still looking for ways to form a barrier btw the kitchen and living room, but hoping it can be erected as and when we want it to be, and taken out easily as well.

Iceage- that sounds like a really smart idea! Unfortunately, neither the existing tiles or a glass panel go with the look we want. An ID did suggest that to us. We have quite a bit of kitchen appliances too, like steamboat and BBQ plate... Just gotta keep them in the storeroom! Also, we have this sort of alcove under a beam in the study room, and a contractor suggested making just doors to cover that alcove and use it as additional storage, so hopefully it will be enough!