Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
inthechouse

A Canvas To Our Imagination: Thoreau

wowowow, i'm not done reading your blog, only at page 7. i must say that i have shortlisted alan but after reading what you've wrote, i can feel my blood pressure rising and i've dropped him from my list.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Still getting used to the master bathroom... coz we all have to adapt, right? Sometimes I dream of my second home of which the bathroom will be done properly... Anyway...

My reno work is nearly done. I have a few comments to make based on my experience:

a) A contractor is only as good as his sub-contractors. If the sub and sub-sub contractors are hopeless, there is little he can do.

b) Aian Furniture and Renovation Contractor has been registered with HDB since 1999. A lot of experience. I bet it started off really good... but now... sigh...

c) If anyone wants to reduce the chances of things going wrong, engage the sub-contractors directly: get Nippon paint to do the painting, specialized furniture shop (e.g. ClassicFurniture) to do the cabinet work etc etc. This means the house owner becomes the project manager for the renovation work.

d) If anyone wants the highest quality work, DIY as far as possible. Not kidding. Just invest in hardware tools. Go to the shops in Kelantan lane. They practically have everything. Of course, one probably still needs the electrician, plumber, mason etc etc.

d) This bathroom drainage thing is not immediately obvious. For my renovation, it was only pointed out to me by the tile layer himself. So, he left a hole in the bathroom kerb. However, even if that's not done, it's not the end of the world. One just needs to keep most of the bathroom dry apart from the shower area. Then cleaning is just a matter of mopping the floor instead of pouring water everywhere. This is how the AngMohs maintain their bathrooms anyway.

Edited by thwatgmail

Another point to add. If the hole in the shower kerb is big, water will flow from the shower into the toilet area. Of course, after a while, it'll flow back to the drainage area. But it does partially negate the purpose of having a shower curtain: keep the rest of the bathroom dry during a shower. :) So, you can't have it all.

Wah, just came across your T-Blog... the combinations of your bathroom so nice... :wub: