Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Energiepac

New Laminate Flooring Has Soft Spots Where Wall Used To Be

Hello,

We're having some issues with the floor of the our flat. We used to had parquet flooring in living room and bedroom. But to create a bigger living room we knocked down the wall of the third bedroom.

We decided to go with Laminate flooring to be laid over the parquet floor and the contractor already did so. But where the wall used to be, there are multiple soft spots when one steps on it. You can visually see, not just feel that the floor goes down when you step on certain areas.

We've told our contractor, and the floor supplier came in yesterday. They said that they told the project manager about the unevenness where the wall used to be, and were given permission by the project manager to use double layer of foam at the area where the wall used to be. Supposedly the living room and bedroom floor is different height....

Contractor says it will be fine and not to be concerned, as the floor supplier said the floor will not sink in. But we were told not to place any heavy objects on the soft spots which is very difficult, because it's the only place to put our sofa as it's in front of the TV!!

The only other option we're given is to remove the floor, sand down the bedroom floor....but there will of course be a extra charge for this.

I'm wondering if this is normal procedure to use double layer foam?

I'm also really concerned that over time, in the humid climate here in Singapore, the floor will get softer and sink it.

Anyone able to give some advice on what to do about this?!

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

foam is porous and is bound to be compressed after a while, no matter how many layers you use.

i thought a better option is to cement creed the hole in between your old parquet floor, before over laying with laminate.

Thanks for your reply. They actually admitted that they should have let me know that this could be an issue before finishing the Laminate floor as they realized it was uneven.

They said they can smoothing the parquet, but this is a huge inconvenience to us, as it will take 3 days to do, and we're also charged extra for this... Just wondering what is normal procedure for something like this, we'll see how it turns out in a while as the foam will get compressed....