Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shorty

Vinyl Vs Laminate

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wow, thats some bad laminate you got there. For price wise, I would still suggest laminate, if you could afford it, go solid wood.

There have always been talks about vinyl, saying its releases chemical etc since its rubber, and the cold transfer rate. Meaning absorbent/transfer of cold.

I will reserve this to just a point to ponder, as I've never encountered an actual case nor study on this. Hence rumours should remain as rumours, but then again, rumours won't start w/o a reason, from what I can tell it could be from below 2 reasons:

1) Vinyl ultimately is plastic, hence there is some truth behind the chemical part, not proven it is, neither proven its not.

2) Laminate is losing out to Vinyl, hence the hacking of Vinyl to turn sales back into Laminate.

Wow, thats some bad laminate you got there. For price wise, I would still suggest laminate, if you could afford it, go solid wood.

There have always been talks about vinyl, saying its releases chemical etc since its rubber, and the cold transfer rate. Meaning absorbent/transfer of cold.

I will reserve this to just a point to ponder, as I've never encountered an actual case nor study on this. Hence rumours should remain as rumours, but then again, rumours won't start w/o a reason, from what I can tell it could be from below 2 reasons:

1) Vinyl ultimately is plastic, hence there is some truth behind the chemical part, not proven it is, neither proven its not.

2) Laminate is losing out to Vinyl, hence the hacking of Vinyl to turn sales back into Laminate.

Yes I also heard that the Vinyl chemical issue, but afterall you see, if it's you, do you think you have faith on laminate again? :((

Yes I also heard that the Vinyl chemical issue, but afterall you see, if it's you, do you think you have faith on laminate again? :((

My experience after living in 4 places with tiles, laminates, parquet...

Tiles - OK but difficult to replace when cracked and too cold (parents old liao)

Parquet - $$$$$$$, difficult to maintain

Laminate - :no::no::no::bow::bow::bow:

Vinyl - Seriously considering for my resale flat

Chemical wise, everything also emit chemical - from the glue in the cabinets, mercury from fluorescent and CFL to the PVC material in some carpets. Hack, even the coloring on the tiles are chemicals.

So I would take my chance with vinyl.

Tiles - OK but difficult to replace when cracked and too cold (parents old liao)

Chemical wise, everything also emit chemical - from the glue in the cabinets, mercury from fluorescent and CFL to the PVC material in some carpets. Hack, even the coloring on the tiles are chemicals.

Let me have a say at your 4 points:

Tiles - Easiest to maintain and best in-terms of lasting you a lifetime

Parquet - Excellent!! As you mentioned, difficult/troublesome

Laminate - A cheaper alternative to above, lots of problems surfacing in recent years.

Vinyl - Cheapest and best alternative, cost and care wise.

If I can afford, Parquet is definitely the way to go, if budget is in mind, vinyl is the best choice, but try to look for a smoother surface, this is my preference ;)

However, just to share a little info with you, laminate has been in the market for more then 10 years, the question here really is, why only in recent years laminate start to have all sorts of problem? IMHO, it will be price, too many players are coming in and leading into a price war, everyone is trying to push cost down to make more profit, and with a lower cost, I guess you know what that means. I do sell laminate, our lineup are solution centric and most homeowners won't consider us due to our higher price, I don't blame them, as most of the time I will redirect them to purchase Vinyl (I don't sell) for their budget, using the same budget, they will only get the lower tier laminate goods, hence stinking the laminate name even further. One of our series is WATERPROOF laminate, where we can even install it in a toilet

Hope I was able to share some info with you. And if I were to recommend you, go for Vinyl, its cheap, easy to handle, durable and w/o a hint of wood in it, water and termite attack will never happen.

I believe each flooring has their pros / cons. My BTO comes with timber-strip flooring and it will have its fair share of problems too.

Thus, at this point in time, I am worried about how to maintain it on a weekly basis.

Also, workmanship is an important factor to having good flooring. At the same time, workmanship is also something not within our control.

So, I would say, choose what you are comfortable with, go ahead and enjoy it! :good:

The best and most economic flooring are tiles. They are able to last very long. For timber, laminates or vinyl, the maintenance of the surface can be a pain in the ***. Cost wise, the depreciation of using tiles is way lesser than woods or vinyl. But when aesthetics come into play, it is a different ball game.

I would definitely go for tiles. Not so much of a hassle for maintenance.

I think vinyl is a good choice as my mother in law is using for years and condition still as good.

But nees to maintain.. I will be using vinyl as well due to cost issue and the cosy effect.

Hi All

I was quoted initially for teak parquet for 2 x bedroom at $2438. when I change to Vinyl flooring I was quoted $2320. That seem to be just a $100 difference

Hi Newlife, I assume yours is bto as well? Your vinyl flooring is very expensive. My contractor quoted me for 2 bedrooms at $1800 only. That is using a 5mm thick vinyl tiles.

Hi amanda

No, Mine is a resale 3 room flat. beside the 2 bedroom I still have a store room that will be floor with Vinyl. but I was trying to understand since Vinyl is supposing less costly why are they price about the same with Teak parquet given the same floor measurement that they will be lay on

2 bedroom plus store with teak= $2438

2 bedroom plus store with Vinyl= $2320??

Hi Newlife, I suppose vinyl is cheaper. Not very sure about this coz I did not ask him to quote for teak. I don't like the maintenance of teak. But I still feel yours is on the higher side because mine is a 4 room bto & I suppose the size of your house should not be that much different? who quoted for u?

I'm actually thinking of doing vinyl for the entire house now but is worried of the chemical.

Do u wan my contact so that you can do a comparison?

Hi Amanda

Great if you could share your contac!. I am also thinking of going direct with flooring. I mean flooring is flooring, I wonder do I need a ID or contractor for it

I got quoted $3750 vinyl flooring for my entire 4 room house except 2 toilets and kitchen. (Prices include floor screed as my floor is "naked")

Maybe my whole house is done by the contractor that's why they quote me cheaper.

Hi Newlife, you can look for Tony @ 90088069. I tink going for direct flooring will definitely be cheaper than going for an ID. i'm going direct for my house as well.