Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
raygun

Maximum Aircon Noise Decibel Allowed In Hdb?

Hey guys, does anyone know what is the maximum noise level (dBA) of aircon allowed in HDB units?

Neighbour complained my aircon is loud, but I said no. So I bought a SPL meter to check, but HDB don't have any guidelines on the max noise level permitted for aircon unit. They just sent people come, listen with their golden ear & pass verdict, which I defer to be unprofessional & unaccaptable.

NEA has a table for permitted noise level but it's for construction work, nothing for aircon.

Noise Pollution

So, what can I do? With no guideline on residential aircon noise level, who's argument is right or wrong? Or HDB officer is king, what they say is must be right?

Any advice?

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Neighbour felt loud.

HDB officer felt loud.

How many opinions do u need to convince yrself that something is indeed wrong?

Is it so hard for u to be neighbourly and just do something about it?

Hi, HDB officer was undecided but in the end just say you guys settle it.

My SPL meter measure in my room where aircon was installed is only 32 dbA, way lower than NEA limit of 50 dbA for 10pm - 7am guideline, Now I need to know if HDB has such guideline, or can I use NEA guideline.

Anyone can say they what they want, but only measurable data provide hard indisputable facts.

If you r measuring in the room, than I assume that u have your window closed. The noise dB would be low. You are mainly measuring the blower or evaporator noise 'in' the room. Maybe your neighbour does not sleep in aircon and have their window open.

Why not try measuring outside where the compressor is.

Maybe you can get the aircon ppl to come & check. It might just need a service.

Anyway, the compressor tends to make more noise with age and the fan bearing wears too.

With the new HDB design, to make the outside of the blocks look nice, those architect/designers now have most of the AC ledge inside. When it makes noise, the noise has no place to go, so bounce up & down the walls of the block and everyone is affected.

You should go to your neighbour house and measure at the point of their complaint. You should take the noise level when the aircon is off then follow by air con is on. Compare the difference. You can use the 50dBA as per NEA guideline as gauge.

Alternatively you can measure in the open but about 2 meter away from your condenser for the noise level and follow the NEA gauge. It will be difficult to comment as evey household have different layout. If your sound meter can measured individual frequency and if the noise level is high at the lower frequency, about 63Hz, 125Hz, & 250Hz, than your condenser is vibrating which could be due to your condenser very old already.

Just my 2 cents nia..

You should go to your neighbour house and measure at the point of their complaint. You should take the noise level when the aircon is off then follow by air con is on. Compare the difference. You can use the 50dBA as per NEA guideline as gauge.

Alternatively you can measure in the open but about 2 meter away from your condenser for the noise level and follow the NEA gauge. It will be difficult to comment as evey household have different layout. If your sound meter can measured individual frequency and if the noise level is high at the lower frequency, about 63Hz, 125Hz, & 250Hz, than your condenser is vibrating which could be due to your condenser very old already.

Just my 2 cents nia..

Thanks for the advice. NEA guidelines is actually 55 dBA 10PM - 7AM. My SPL meter doesn't measure low freq. but yeah, I'll do the measurement in the neighbors room if they insist, the only issue is if HDB will accept NEA guideline.

cheers