Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bikermeow

Condo V Hdb - Higher Building Costs - Why?

Hiya,

I will start my renovation of my old condo soon. Taking in quotations from my friends, I find that renovation cost for condos seems to be much higher than HDB. For example, a friend of mine was quoted $50+K for her 1,400 sq ft HDB while I was quoted $130K+. Granted that the big differences are that I have a patio and carpentry works, but the difference seems unjustified.

Am I the only one feeling this disparity? Any one can shed light?

Cheers

• Like 2

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

There are no grounds for your 'unjustification' to be established.

Simply you are comparing an apple to an orange....

Purely your perception.

A fairer and practical comparison would be asking your neighbour (same stack, up or down) to get the quote for same reno from same source.

i agree with bepgof.

it is not meaningful to make such comparison.

a higher quotation doesn't necessarily mean you are getting ripped off. it could also mean better designer, more scope of works, more extensive renovation, better finishes, etc. etc.

similarly, a lower quotation doesn't necessarily mean it is better. it could also mean less scope of works, less superior finishes, simpler design, etc.

It is human's nature making 'comparison' - thus allowing reaching conclusion/decision and action to be taken there after. Or at times, called making 'options available".

What benchmarking, indexes, ratios...developed, but arguments often surround 'qualitative' and 'quantitative' approaches used.

Quantitative approach is more straight forward, but may not be 'fair and just' due to the environmental settings.

Qualitative approach involve 'personal liking' factors, so......

In reality, similar things could be 'agar agar' being compared, whether the result of comparison would help the RIGHT decision making is another issue.

Bear in mind that knowledge of ALL existing available 'similar things' for comparison most frequently can;t be reached at individual's hand.

So knowing these constraints, hope your 'unjustification' could be sort of countered off.

As what Steve Jobs said: 'Do things feel by your HEARTS', ' Dare to fulfill your dream' ---invisible courages that the 'MIND' can't offer.

Hiya,

I will start my renovation of my old condo soon. Taking in quotations from my friends, I find that renovation cost for condos seems to be much higher than HDB. For example, a friend of mine was quoted $50+K for her 1,400 sq ft HDB while I was quoted $130K+. Granted that the big differences are that I have a patio and carpentry works, but the difference seems unjustified.

Cheers

Are you comparing Apple to Apple? My friend is recently quoted $50K for her 40 years old resale condo.

Hiya,

Cheers

maybe some contractors will increase their quotation higher for condo for better quality material..or that condo owner are percieved to be richer so can carrot? but if you compare enff quotation from different contractors then if all similar then should be safer...I think its because you go to ID but your fren go direct to contractor..