Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
chococat

Our 4-Rm Cubbyhole Reno Diary

Quick Update:

Went over yesterday to look at our house and saw that cardboard had be laid out already ! Our ID very fast hand, fast leg!

Will be dropping by later to see if there's any progress today!

b_164123.jpg

ID also brought extra kitchen tiles to mend the affected tiles after hacking.

b_164059.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Dropped by our new house yesterday evening and was pleasant to see that our kitchen wall had been hacked off.

Hopefully this little half wall can make the house appear slightly bigger...

b_181228.jpg

b_181304.jpg

Bags of sands also appear in our kitchen. I supposed these are used for building the kitchen cabinet base? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Also presenting to you...... my precious little niece! She has been part of our reno team to check on the reno progress most of the time!
b_181337.jpg

b_150039.jpg

How pretty! I think I shall get a basket for my pineapple too!

Congrats on your new home, Chococat.

Your niece is simply ADORABLE.

Progress Update:

Went down yesterday evening to take a look at the progress, was delighted to find new stuff appear in our kitchen.

Hubz had a discussion with our ID on Wednesday at our new house to talk about a number of things. I wasn't around due to some commitment :( will talk about it in later post

Cabinet Base
The cabinet base at the left side of our kitchen was constructed. The right side was still empty due to issue to be discussed later.

b_181951.jpg

Sink Support

The bricks for sink support were laid and tiles were placed.
b_181752.jpg

Kitchen Sink Molding

b_181715.jpg

Service Yard Base

b_181850.jpg

Toilet Shower Kerb?
We guess this is for the shower kerb based on the measurements which matched our master bedroom toilet

b_183953.jpg

Edited by chococat

4th Oct Updates:

Dropped by to put a carton of mineral water for the workers. Was happy to see 2 people working inside and new work done.

Remember our cutter-man? He's here today to lay the tiles for the bases.

b_132822.jpg

Service Yard Base (working in progress)

b_133326.jpg

As for the fridge base, tiling had completed.

Our humble kitchen sink is now on the sink support!

b_132826.jpg

The long cement that we spotted the other day was indeed for the shower kerb for our master bedroom toilet

b_132927.jpg

First time seeing how a tile is cut. Looks fun! If he dun mind, I will love to try out!

b_132948.jpg

Edited by chococat

Hi all, this is hubz.

Kitchen cabinet dimension problem

We were informed by Mr J that a standard 60cm cabinet depth will extend beyond our kitchen entrance wall (pink arrow). Mr J suggested to shorten the cabinet depth to 45cm (green arrow) to keep it within the wall length. However, Mrs choco and I felt that too much tabletop space was compromised over the entire length of the kitchen, and that a 45cm cabinet may look too shallow. Depth of the cabinet near the entrance will be 75cm (blue arrow) to account for the extra dent-in space.

Kitchen cabinet depth with respect to kitchen entrance wall.

b_041202.jpg

After discussion with Mr J, we came up with the solution to extend the wall by around 2 inches (green block) using plaster. The result is a slightly narrower kitchen entrance/door. Mrs choco and I felt that this is a worthwhile compromise over the loss of tabletop space, since the kitchen entrance (37inches) is slightly wider than usual door entrances (33-35inches).

Proposed solution: 2 inch plaster extension of the wall

b_035132.jpg

Mr J was willingly to absorb the cost for wall plastering, but informed that extra charges will be incurred for a 75cm cabinet depth (i.e. 2 feet for the cost of 4), since extra materials are needed which were not covered in the original quote.

Gas Pipping Issue

Another hiccup happened during our reno process..

We have previously discussed with Mr J how our gas pipe should run:

From the gas origin point, the pipe runs down along the fridge, then run horizontally to the stove.

Hope this photo can make it easier to understand what I'm trying to describe. Orange line represents the gas pipe.

b_042140.jpg

I guess Mr J had a number of projects on hand and he did not manage to remember the details accurately and he thought we were using a gas water heater. Thus, he planned the piping system in a different way. As a result, we had a drill hole on our service yard wall.

Our affected service yard wall. Lucky the drill hole is well hidden by water pipes.

b_040216.jpg

Closed Up View

b_181832.jpg

We can peep over to the other side. Haha

b_183415.jpg

Our ID said he will get the wall mended. Hengz….. We were pretty fine with this little hiccup as long as it is rectified.

Lesson Learnt:

After VERBAL discussion on reno details, it's always good to correspond back with WRITTEN form (email, watsapp, etc) so it's easier for ID to trace back the details (provided he/she checks). :good:

Edited by chococat

Updates as of 9th Oct 2014

Work is progressing a little slower compared to last week.

The kitchen cabinet base at the right side of kitchen was constructed.

The half wall has not been extended yet in this photo.

b_173800.jpg

Half wall was later extended and touched up with tiles. Hacked area was also touched up.

b_225854.jpg

b_182802.jpg

(Continue.....)

(.....Continue)

We will be installing our half glass wall on the edge towards the living room (Blue Line).

Yellow line shows the default way which do not need tiles and just plastering (my guess).

b_225229.jpg

As a result of this, Mr J had informed us that we will need to top up money for the extra tiles used to tile the half wall and on the wall beside the kitchen door hinge (which used to be part of living room without tiles).. Will clarify with ID this Friday to find out the details and how much to fork out.

Tiled Area

b_010433.jpg

Skirting was removed. I hope they will put them back to bring back uniformity in the living room wall.

b_183213.jpg

Kitchen light switch was re-wired from living room to kitchen entrance

b_182410.jpg