Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
chococat

Our 4-Rm Cubbyhole Reno Diary

Updates as of 13 Oct 2014: About Air Conditioning

Had a quick discussion with the aircon guy on Thursday evening to discuss on the trucking and aircon placement. We initially were more pro towards having the AC trunking run along the passage way, instead of through rooms. The reason for this is that we do not need to hack away our bedroom cabinet (which conceal the trucking) for repairs/replacement if one day the AC KO. It seems less disastrous if the trucking runs along the passageway.

The aircon guy discouraged this and instead assured us that it's perfectly fine to hide the trucking behind cabinet for these reasons (based on my understanding):

1. It's better for the trucking to run along the room with AC as the room will be colder. If trucking were to run along passageway, which is warmer (unless you switch on the living room AC), the chance of trucking to "sweat" (i think he meant condensation) will increase. This sweating will shorten their shelf life.
  2. Mr J added on that in case the trucking needs replacement, the cabinet silicone can be cut, allowing the cabinet to be pulled out for trucking replacement.
  3. The trucking must be placed lower than the AC unit in order for water to flow along the trucking. As a result, the trucking will have to be just above the door frame along the passageway which doesn’t look as nice, and boxing it up may look funny?

So far most of the people did their AC trucking through rooms and there's not much complains. It's sensible to listen to him, afterall he is the AC guy! Furthermore, hubz and I had not much experience in AC throughout our life.

Aircon installation was done on the very next day. Happy to see our aircon units are all up and looking good on the walls!

Master Bedroom. I hope our ID will box up the trucking to make it look nicer.

b_183739.jpg

Trucking runs along Bedroom 2. We are not installing for Bedroom 2.

b_183717.jpg

Bedroom 3 (Study Room). Trucking has to be run below AC unit as mentioned previously.

b_183701.jpg

Living Room

b_105804.jpg

Our pipping in our Master Bedroom toilet. Dunno if there's a way to conceal?
b_183840.jpg

Lighting and SCV point wiring was done over the weekend as well.

Next up: False ceiling!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Updates as of 15 Oct 2014: False Ceiling

False ceiling was installed on Monday. Everything was completed within a day which amazed us as we thought this part of reno will take a few days. We're very happy to see the end result and our house looks more 'homely' with the presence of these ceiling!

Living Room

b_181107.jpg

Electrical board (is that what it is called) cabinet door was removed due to the installation of false ceiling. Think they will replace back once they got the cabinet door trimmed?
b_181202.jpg

Master Bedroom trucking concealed!

b_180304.jpg

Master Bedroom Ceiling

b_180229.jpg

Mr J said it will take a few days for the plaster to dry before painting works start. Looking forward to see colours in our house!

I have the same question when I saw the way our aircon drainage PVC pipe is laid from ceiling all the way to the drainage hole :bangwall: Definitely need to work out with my ID when I am back in town. Pls share if your ID/contractor has better solution to hide it.

Hi wyx03_2002, i think the best way is to cut away the piping which runs on the floor all the way to the drainage. Just let the water drip on the floor since it's the wet area (if your toilet wet area is the same as mine).

I am afraid those piping on the floor will allow mold to grow between the wall and pipe since it is a bit difficult to clean. and not forgetting the hair trapped in between. :)

• Like 1

Hi wyx03_2002, i think the best way is to cut away the piping which runs on the floor all the way to the drainage. Just let the water drip on the floor since it's the wet area (if your toilet wet area is the same as mine).

I am afraid those piping on the floor will allow mold to grow between the wall and pipe since it is a bit difficult to clean. and not forgetting the hair trapped in between. :)

Thank you for highlighting this.

Same problem here.. I just called my ID and asked him to cut away the piping just above floor level. Please see the pic of my bathroom:

">http://>gallery_62270_9_100361.jpg

Yeah! we had the same MBR false ceiling! Do you have the end product of your reno pic? looking forward to see your end-product reno!

your false ceiling looks like mine in MBR! hahah except your room is 4-roomer size :/

Do post a pic of your trimmed aircon pipe! Hubz and I have yet to decide to retain the original pipping or remove it...

Thank you for highlighting this.

Same problem here.. I just called my ID and asked him to cut away the piping just above floor level. Please see the pic of my bathroom:

">http://gallery_62270_9_100361.jpg

Thanks Eno! :)

All the best with the renovation. Will monitor this closely. :)

tomorrow will update my t- blog when i go to my house to take some pics :D you shall see by then, but I doubt all the lightings and stuff are up... probably just my open concept wardrobe and platform lol

Updates as of 20 Oct 2014:

Painting was done single-handedly by a very nice and friendly uncle over the weekend. We were very happy with his paint work and delighted to see that our house is getting more like home.

Will try to share the paint colour name and number code, though we are not very sure if we got it correct. The last time we confirmed the colours was at Mr J office and the details were with him and we forget to jot it down :wacko: .

Tins of paints ready to colour the house. Using Nippon matex paint, which is the cheaper grade. Colour looks pretty okay to us. Hope they can last a long time before we do a repaint in future.

b_095258.jpg

Bedroom 2: Vanilla Creme, 1150

b_111544.jpg

Study Room: Maldives Sand, 1116

b_180631.jpg

Master Bedroom: Latte, 1115 (super unsure)

b_180715.jpg

Service Yard: Stream, 8137.

We wanted a colour very different from our current house color theme (calming) to create a little 'wow' factor. So we used a small service yard to play with this idea. Chose blue since it is a laundry area, so it can create a watery (swimming pool) effect.

b_180902.jpg

to be continued..

continue.....

Now coming to the best part......

the Living Room!
Dauphin Gray, 1198 for left wall in pic.

Ash Gray, 5037 for rest of living room wall, passage way and ceiling.

White for false ceiling

b_012450.jpg

I'm most happy with the living room colours. Especially the light gray on the original ceiling, contrasting with the white false ceiling, thanks to Mr J's idea!

The two contrasting grays on the wall looks rather subtle. We should have choose a more darker gray, but we scare it will darken the room quite a bit...

Closer look on the Dauphin Gray. This wall is where we will be doing TV feature wall.
b_180611.jpg

False ceiling

b_181100.jpg

We had officially ended our defects rectification at the moment. We were left with re-varnishing for the parquet floor with previous hollow tiles, which will only be taken care of after completion of reno. The parquet guy said that it will take two weeks for the glue to dry completely before they can varnish. If there is any moisture, the parquet may still pop up if we insist on varnishing, if I interepret him properly.

Do note that when fixing hollow parquets, be expected to see drill holes on affected parquet where they inject adhensive glue. For people with sharped-eyes, they may easily spot it even after varnishing. Right now, the parquet floor is uneven and we hope after varnishing, they will even out and won’t ‘feel’ so obvious when we step on it. We were strongly reminded not to put or drop heavy item at the affected area during the reno.

Photo: The dots are the drill holes which were touched up briefly to cover the holes. The uneven parquet is pretty obvious too..

b_105724.jpg

Previously Chipped Skirting Touched Up

b_105655.jpg

Colouring maybe slightly darker than previous, but we were happy with it as long as it won't cause an eye sore to us whenever we see that area.

It's a relief that we can finally stop visiting and harass our BSC supervisor to get our defects resolved. Will be so excited to see our reno start at full force from now on! Hurray!

Did they sand the parquet tiles BEFORE varnishing? That will help to even out the floor.

Did they sand the parquet tiles BEFORE varnishing? That will help to even out the floor.

i think they did, though i never seen them working during varnishing work.

this bedroom floor will be varnished after reno. so will be able to see them how they do varnishing then!

Thanks for the tip!

Went over yesterday during noon when sun was bright and shiny. We noticed that our light grey wall can give different shades of grey (though not up to 50 shades :P ) with different angle of sunlight and shadowing.

b_113150.jpg

Entire house had been washed and tidied up.

We are now due for next 30% payment, which concludes the end of our Wet Works.

Looking forward to see lights and ceiling fan up!