Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lightforx

Advice From Ppl Who Source Products Separately (Diy) On Contractor/electrician

Hi newbie here, will probably do minor reno to new place soon.

For those of you who purchase your items (I'm concerned about electricals mostly - lights, fans) separately either from taobao (online etc), different pieces from different shops, do you engage the shops to install items or do you look for a separate electrician? For those whom you engage from shops, do they mind installing things not bought from them (of course not for free)?

Or do you just DIY everything?

Thank you for your time!!!

(I'm a DIY-er, but I also understand my limits on installing stuff... LOL)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Fans - Ask the shop to install for you; need to balance the fan if not will make noise and start 'waving'

Fans - If buy from Taobao (not recommended), ask electrician to install

Lights - Big pieces from local shop, ask shop to install

Lights - Big pieces and small pieces from Taobao, ask electrician to install. they'd charge accordingly.

I also had a friend who bought a fan with light from Taobao, less than 2 days, he couldn't turn the fan on, even though the light is on. No manual and no place he could go to. He had to call his electrician to bypass the adapter, so now his fan control is always at medium. Beware of buying things from Taobao.

I think if you get the shop staff to install things not bought from them, they'd charge you also lo. Most probably electrician price. Might as well let the shop install their own stuffs, and your electrician install the rest. If something go haywire you would have trouble. Better to consolidate everything to one point of contact.

I've got electrician contact if you need. PM me bah if you want. goodluck :)