Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all

Have PM as requested.

Anyway, just some quick updates. Its 2 weeks into the renovation and things are progressing well. Some personal notes here:

a) On the first week, the following was done in this order: a) hacking of walls (I wanted half of the study wall to be hacked to create a more spacious effect) and removal of debris from the hacking, b) electrical points and re-wiring (if any), followed by c) air-con trunking-1st round. 2nd round would be to install the compressor and unit but that's later) and d) city gas piping and other gas related piping works

b) On the second week, the false ceilings were up followed by the tiling works including the backsplash which I used tiles. I was told that the rest of the week would be spent on painting works before we meet again on site to discuss the carpentry and confirm any last minute or requests before the carpenters would start work in their factories before doing the necessary.

c) Since I only have time to go on weekends, my ID (HS Lim) was actually doing the coordination work. By the end of the first week when I visited, the air-con trunking was done and the City Gas Heater was up and the necessary piping was already done. I just gave him the invoice and number and he does the rest. Of course, I have to pay the merchants in full before that la. So quite hassle free for me.

d) On one occasion, he did called me to double check something and he also sent me some photographs updates via whatsapp at various milestones.

e) Today, he also sent me a series of photographs saying that there were some defects on the flooring made by the workers after the tiling and demolition works. (protection sheet was laid but still...) The photographs that he sent contained markings of where the defects are (see picture below) and he told me he will rectify them. Not to worry. Didn't expect that so quite responsible. I also told him that some of the edges of the toilet floor tiles were somewhat unsatisfactory and he told me he will inform the workers to try to polish them further.

However people who engage Lim should note that although he read and write in English, he is slightly better at communicating in Chinese. And sometimes, he would say "No" to your ideas and designs but you need to probe and he will explain it to you i.e. either not practical or durable etc. That's where communication comes in and at the end of the day, its up to you whether you accept the explanation or want to carry on. I initially wanted to do a sliding glass door for the kitchen but he counter proposed and said that while it could be done, it was very troublesome etc etc. I accepted his counter-proposal but on the height of the study table, I wanted it to be taller than the standard height and while he didn't really agree, I insisted on it and he proceeded to do it. At the end of the day, because different IDs have different opinions and ideas, its up to us to discuss. So in engaging an ID, it bores down to the feel and how one can negotiate la. So doesn't matter if they say No.More importantly, is whether they are willing to discuss, explain and how they negotiate. To me, that's more important.

But so far, the progress is on time and LIm helps me to coordinate everything. He also provides regular updates via whatsapp and is proactive in identifying the possible defects and said that he will rectify them. As for lighting, he told me there is a shop but he would not bring me and he doesn't earn any commission from it. The shop was actually recommended to him by another customer due to low cost and I am free to compare prices. (usually the IDs earn a small commission form the shops that they bring you) So rather frank communication there. If you have questions about quotation, the different methods etc, you can always ask but don't expect them to tell you everything la. They also need to earn a living !

So that's it..So far so gd

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/3462/HTeuEA.jpg

Update( 18/3/15 1450hrs) I just read about a horrifying experience by a user on his experience with a celebrity ID firm. I hope the issues will be resolved soon.Reposting it below so that people will be aware cos seems super unprofessional this company. Disclaimer: I cannot be certain to the credibility of the claims by the user but it makes good reading. Reposting this is for public sharing and not meant to endorse the user's claims against the firm or to discredit the firm.

(http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/70578-here-is-my-dreadful-experience-with-celebrity-icon-interior-id-firm/?p=891402)

My experience was (not sure if it's the norm but its good practice): that all the complimentary items anti-slam etc are included and stated inside the contract. And the measurement. And for electrical points etc, we actually ran through on site on where the points are located, how many of them and how do I want them to work on the day of the renovation itself. i.e. Day 1 Discuss...By Day 3, things were done. The carpentry measruements usually comes in a little later but the ID should basically measure everything first when discussing the kind of fixtures. He/She should then keep a record of the measurements (What I did was to tell him what I am going to buy and we discuss if there are any design/structural constraints i.e. fridge too big or protruding out too much). After confirmed, I just sent him the invoice but on the day itself, he is already taking notes on measurments and their rough locations. Some details will be sorted out during the meeting with carpenter and after that, cannot change already since they already started to fabricate the carcass in the factory. So things like sink, stove, hood/hob, oven, fridge, wine cooler etc (if any) must be confirmed even before the meeting with the carpenter.

Edited by singasamurai

hi singasamurai,

thank you for sharing your journey, can you kindly PM me the IDs mentioned in (a) to (f) as I am trying to shortlist IDs at the moment. appreciate help. thanks in advance.

Hi all

Another short update.

I met the ID and the carpenter at the showroom to go through the measurements again. Boy, it was a long and tedious i.e. 2 hours plus and another 25 minutes to go through the final plan for the electrical points and the cost. What we did was to sit down with the carpenter and the ID would run through with the carpenter again on the necessary measurements including how he wants to the joints to be done, the position of the carpentry, the number of shelves for each cabinet and also the laminates selection. The exact measurements (L, B, H) are being confirmed (previously it was mostly just the length) and the carpenter drew the drawings and necessary indications on the spot. We went through this room by room. Very detailed so that after they start to fabricate, mistakes and disagreements can be minimized. After reading many horror stories online, you realize that this is not standard practice although it should be. Time-consuming though.

Some extra pointers on what the ID's final quote will exclude and it will help readers to ask the necessary questions and clarifications if necessary.
a) As mentioned, electrical works will not be part of the quote. This is only billed after the electrical points and works are being done. (the electrician will do the necessary works first while installation of the lights etc will be on another trip) Track lighting is considered as 1 point. Each LED light is 1 point. Every re-wiring/re-positioning of each SCV or electrical switch will cost. On average, the ID firm/electrician earns about 200-400 on top of the total cost depending on the complexity of the project. Each LED point should cost about $35 bucks so if you have a lot of LED lights, these will cost more i.e. X number of LED points multiply by $35. My own lighting cost is almost 3.6k which is a little on the high side due to the amount of re-wiring and work i.e. relocation and addition of new data points and switches. And there is no need to buy those expensive schneider electric switches la...Unless you have money to spare lor..But they look **** nice and cool.
b) Remember to ask what’s your entitlement for carpentry especially wardrobe and kitchen. My ID told me that usually, outside they don’t include so many drawers as they cost more due to the drawer tracks being more expensive so they tend to build more open shelving instead. For those accessories rack in the wardrobe (the ones with little boxes), they actually cost more for the IDs so unless previously requested, it will not be included or some will throw in as some sort of freebies. Most quotes are rather generic in that matter (including mine but because I was a referred customer, he waived off some of the costs involved; I think this is also somewhat dependent on their relationship with their carpenter and of course, your "feel" with the ID)
c) The tiles used to construct the fridge and kitchen base are not included in the quote. They will be ordered separately and one normally pay cash directly to the delivery guy i.e. should not be more than $400 depending. For the rest of the tiles, if the ID did not order in enough and needs to top up, you should not be paying extra since it should have already been covered in the cost/original quote. I saw that the ID ordered additional tiles for the kitchen backsplash but did not charge me extra. (saw the invoice) No harm checking with your ID though.
d) Try to get your own lighting etc. Buying electrical fans in Malaysia is much cheaper although I won’t recommend doing the same for lighting due to issues of onsite warranty. (The warranty is only valid in Malaysia so it might be a bit of a hassle if things breakdown; same with things from Taobao etc) The shops that the IDs bring you usually give some form of rebates to the IDs (between 3-5%) so despite the discounted price, you can generally find cheaper stuff elsewhere.
In reality, you can find your own electrician or carpenter who might charge at a slightly cheaper rate. But then again, there is the coordination issues and the ID is not responsible for communicating and if things go wrong or designs etc are messed up, they are again not responsible. Too much of a hassle for me. And if there is any delay, the ID will not be responsible. And besides, I respect these guys who are carpenters and electricians. Not many people willing to do that nowadays and these are skilled workers and professionals in their own right. Most importantly, it saves me a lot of hassle and the need to look into minor minor details that is not on my radar no matter how much I researched because I am not in this line.
e) Painting works by ID. Should not be more by $1500 and check the number of colours and whether there is any restriction on the type of paint used. You can get those freelance guys to do at about $800-$1200 but do note the coordination part but this is less of a hassle than carpentry or electrical works.

Hi

Further updates. The carpenter has finished fabricating and started to install the carpentry works today. The house is full of work tools with 4 workers...Drove down during lunch hour to take a look for 20minutes. ID (on his own) has also arranged for all the hood, hob, kitchen sink etc to be delivered today. 2nd part of Air-con installation was also arranged by the ID and it was installed over the weekend. I didn't go down as I have other matters to attend to. They have also repaired the chipped and damaged parts to the flooring.

On my own, I went to this shop at Ubi to buy the remaining of my lighting. I had previously brought a few at a clearance sale. As mentioned, contact was given by ID's previous customers who told him its cheap. Actually not bad. 18 LED downlight at $16 bucks each while track lighting costs $45 per light i.e. if the track is 2 meters and there are four lights, its 45multiply by 4 and the metal track itself cost $40 each. LED strip depending on the length cos about $8 dollars per meter while driver cost between $8-$45. I remember that my friend's ID brought him to the shop (in Gelling area) and I accompanied him. They charge him (after "discount"), $22-$26 while for walk-in, they roughly charge in the 30-40 range. The company is called Ccodo and they sell their own Zenterra brand of lighting. They have two ranges; a cheaper and the slightly more expensive but supposedly better range.

Disclaimer: I have never used them before so cannot comment on how good they are. But its cost effective and they offer 3 years warranty (1 year on site; 2 years bring to shop) This on-site warranty thing according to the ID is quite important and the driver must be durable. The guy (James) was good in enough to waive off GST. Btw, renotalk customers get an additional 10% off. They have a limited selection for kitchen, bath and ceiling lights as well. Prices are generally in the range of 150-300. So let's hope it lasts.