Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi ,

Recently I had selected a ID contractor. Their payment terms is 20%(signing of agress & tiles confirmtion), 30%(upon commencing work),45%(upon measure carpentry works), 5%(completion of works). After signing agreement, he collected S$2000, from me, after I slected the tiles , he collected another S$3000 form me.

Yesterday he say that he will start to hack the tile and want to collect the balance 50% of the total amount form me. My wife insist not to pay him the 50% as becuase he has not show us the 3D drawing and the detail concept dawing of our whole house. But he say that the drawing is not related to the hacking work, and say that he will hack first, collected the money first and then show me the drawing later by tonight or tomorrow, and he say that this is normal practice for ID.

So like to consult anyone and let me know is it reasonable for his request?

Thanks you so much.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi

The 50% refers to the rest of the entire payment? Isn't it supposed to be staggered?

Carpentry work has not even started. and always withhold the last 5% until you are generally satisfied. For most IDs, they will only commence work when the one is satisfied with the drawings. There is no exact standard practice cos it varies from firm to firm and IDs to IDs.

Without knowing more details, my suggestion is don't pay first especially not everything.

Just some thoughts..you may wish to listen or consult more opinions before making a more informed decision yourself. Cheers.

Hi ,

Thanks for your advised. We actually insisted satisifed with the drawing first before commence work. And finally he also got no chioce but to agree on that.

Hi,

My wife change a lot of their drawing after they give us the 3D drawing, I think if we already pay the 50% of the entire sum, the drawing will definify not coming out so fast, and also we have to pay whatever he say on the additional cost . I think your advised is correct , and also my wife decision is right, sometime we cannot be to soft with the contractor as they really take for granted.

Thanks.

Hi Singasamurai,

Thank you for providing such a comprehensive reviews of the various IDs. Would you mind PM-ing me the contacts from A to F so that I can review and shortlist them myself too.

Thanks in advance!

Hmnn.....

after some verification, realized that I've engaged HS Lim for my partial renovation before. Back then he was with * Interior Design.

To be honest, I wasn't too satisfied with his services back then. Doesn't seems knowledgeable, and workmanship not too good.

But then maybe he has improved a lot since.

Edited by alleniate

Hi alleniate

ya..he was with another company back then..one of the famous ones..Personally I find services quite okay...although knowledge wise, if you are into those thematic kind i.e retro, industrial etc, he is not exactly there. I find that he is better with discussing ideas not via themes but through the actual works. If looking for those, my choice 2 and 3 are okay but again, they are not cheap.

If I were to put it down into words, he is better at those modern kind. Workmanship wise, this team of carpenters can be improved la...Not the best, but no major problems as well. but responsible and not those blame pushing or MIA kind of ID/contractor.

Hope u managed to find a good one to your liking :-)

Hi Singasamurai,

Thanks for the detailed sharing. Could you kindly PM me the IDs / Contractors from A to F?

Would appreciate if you could share the quotation as well.

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated. Cheers!