Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
OfficialCC

Possibly Engaging Nippon Paint, But Does This Sound Right?

Hi guys, I'm hoping for some opinions ... I just had an appointment with a Nippon Paint rep at my unit - a 4 room BTO.

Package under their current promotion for 4 room BTO using Odourless paint is $1,400, but the guy kept pushing for me to add on their sealer for $490 ($50 off their regular price $540) as well, telling me that without sealer the paint will be prone to peeling, and that they offer a 1 year warranty on paintjob but it does not apply if I don't add on the sealer
I've read that the whitewash (excuse me if that's not the correct term) in a brand new BTO is fine to be painted on without the need for sealer ... my ID also offers painting (although his quote for Odourless his surprisingly higher than Nippon Paint's) and said the same thing, that there should not be a need for sealer for a brand new BTO, so I wasn't really keen on it.
And then things got a bit ... off ... the guy made it sound so bad without sealer until it's possible for paint to peel even during the painting process itself :blink: In my mind I was thinking, I can understand hard-selling, but if a Nippon Paint official rep is saying that such a thing is possible, then Nippon paint quality has got to be pretty dubious? :dunno:
Also, I asked about coordinating with my ID on painting schedule, and he told me that most IDs will ask that they split the job into 2 sessions - sealer 1st after they put up the false ceilings, L-boxes, etc ... then 2 coats of the actual paint after the built-in stuff are done, and that they charge an additional $200 for split sesssions. I spoke to my ID and he tells me - without the sealer part - the "ideal" way is to paint 1 coat of the actual paint 1st and then they do the built-in stuff, followed by the painters coming back for 2nd coat / touch-ups. Anyone can tell me what was your painting / renovation sequence like?
Really appreciate any advice I can get before I finalise and put down a deposit. Thanks in advance.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

by right, a sealer is not required provided the BSC folks did a proper job.

A good friend of mine had the unfortunate encounter where the sealer paint was not properly done up on one of his living room wall, this caused the new coat of paint to peel off. If this happen to you, you'll have to escalate it to BSC for them to rectify. It will be painful process for you yet technically, you need not spend more for the sealer. Hope this helps and all the best.

Primer/sealer has special bonding agents that help it stick to the surface of walls – new or old. So it sticks well to walls … and then paint sticks well to the primer. This means it provides a sturdy ‘interface’ between the wall … and the final, quality coats of paint.

Primer/sealer does also allows the top coat to go on more smoothly providing a better quality, longer lasting finish.