Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gumbokins

RENOVATION IS COMING #gameofhomes

15 hours ago, gumbokins said:

T-5

today electrician came to do up the remaining power points

carpenters changed all the kitchen cabinet hinges to BLUM (apparently they forgot and I really wanted all BLUM) and finish up the bookcase

would have to say that despite the hiccups e.g. wall and hinges, Andrew and Jun are quick to rectify. 

some quick questions for all y'all:

- ss water pipes: to paint or leave as is? in my case I actually have one running in my kitchen. i thought would leave as is but apparently they may tarnish and become black?

- my huge-*** ceiling lamp, I want to install it at the centre of the void at the top of my staircase. apparently need scaffolding to reach all the way to top, this would cost me $400. worth it? any cheaper lobang? or should i just go get a smaller one? hah..

I have ss water pipes in all of my toilets, I just leave as is. Whenever they start to look a little bit dingy (not often) I run a melamine sponge on it and it looks new again. Something to consider. I regret not painting the under-sink pipes though, but that's because I have wall hung basins. Those are white plastic and starting to look dingy but cannot be solved by melamine sponge lol.

Actually for my staircase, I purposely didn't get a ceiling lamp at all because it will be 1. very hard to clean and 2. very hard to replace the light if anything breaks. Not sure whether it's too late if you've already bought your ceiling lamp. Instead, I have a light at the top of my staircase along the second-floor corridor, and another one at the half-way staircase landing, both on the walls instead. That way it lights up the void + it's easy to clean and change if need be. Something to think about. If they need $400 for scaffolding to install now, what happens in the future when you need to reach your light for any reason? Pay again to get scaffolding in? Presumably it's far too tall for a normal ladder to reach?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 9/27/2016 at 5:09 PM, bykaraanne said:
On 10/6/2016 at 9:56 PM, Starrain said:

Thank you so much! :wub:

Hi Gumbokins!!

Got question for you! Why.. why.. my contractor only got 1 shade of blue for the ABS trimming. :dunno:

Don't seems to match the TAK's laminate, whether in Blueberry or other shade of blue.  Seems like your's quite matching matching~

Can trouble you to check for me the ABS company?? 

On 10/11/2016 at 9:33 AM, ricepapergirl said:

I have ss water pipes in all of my toilets, I just leave as is. Whenever they start to look a little bit dingy (not often) I run a melamine sponge on it and it looks new again. Something to consider. I regret not painting the under-sink pipes though, but that's because I have wall hung basins. Those are white plastic and starting to look dingy but cannot be solved by melamine sponge lol.

Actually for my staircase, I purposely didn't get a ceiling lamp at all because it will be 1. very hard to clean and 2. very hard to replace the light if anything breaks. Not sure whether it's too late if you've already bought your ceiling lamp. Instead, I have a light at the top of my staircase along the second-floor corridor, and another one at the half-way staircase landing, both on the walls instead. That way it lights up the void + it's easy to clean and change if need be. Something to think about. If they need $400 for scaffolding to install now, what happens in the future when you need to reach your light for any reason? Pay again to get scaffolding in? Presumably it's far too tall for a normal ladder to reach?

@ricepapergirl yo thanks for the input on the ss pipes. yes, they're in the toilets as well as in the kitchen.  my toilet sinks are wall hung as well...the pipes get dingy so quickly ah?

re: staircase light, it wasn't very expensive but I quite like the look of it so Jun managed to find a contact who can do it cheaper. Yes....in long run if the light were to KO I will suffer greatly for it. Electrician has forewarned me. he recommended a hanging light instead coz easier to change bulb.

T-2 days (ok I don't know how to count lol)

Marble floor polished, all nice and shiny again. They were also working on varnishing the parquet flooring. 

The kompacplus people arrived a bit later but I had to pick the kids up so couldn't stay around to watch.  sharing photos from Jun:

24pdunr.jpg

bar counter

2i1oas9.jpg

Andrew found the handles. he sent me a pic via WA but i was totally expecting something different (like an actual knob). Was a little taken aback when I saw them in the kitchen but they turned out quite nice after all.

tomorrow: ceiling fan installation (all six!) and gotta clear out what we chucked in the wardrobes so that the cleaning service can clean on Friday morning.

15 hours ago, gumbokins said:

@ricepapergirl yo thanks for the input on the ss pipes. yes, they're in the toilets as well as in the kitchen.  my toilet sinks are wall hung as well...the pipes get dingy so quickly ah?

re: staircase light, it wasn't very expensive but I quite like the look of it so Jun managed to find a contact who can do it cheaper. Yes....in long run if the light were to KO I will suffer greatly for it. Electrician has forewarned me. he recommended a hanging light instead coz easier to change bulb.

Well, let me see whether I can take a photo of my under-sink pipes. Four-months-on. It's not super dingy, but it could be nicer. Maybe one day I'll paint them myself.

Hope your light holds out then! Do note that if it's LED the bulb is likely to be fine but the electrical housing (I forgot what it is called) is probably likely to give out faster than the bulb, so either way you should be prepared for the day you have to reach and repair it!

MOVING DAY IS HERE!

2s1ndyq.jpg

one last look at the old place

fk4f1w.jpg

dining and balcony

o5cjud.jpg

remastered parquet flooring. **** gorgeous if I have to say so myself!

now tired. but too scared to try the new shower, haha!

Been 5 days since the move

we managed to unpack most of our boxes, shoving things left right and centre lol

the window grills were installed, just as we were starting to enjoy the expanse of our grill-less windows

35mlk07.jpg

today they came to install the aluminium panel for the study but the installers broke the glass (in the lorry) so will have to come back another day to finish it up. 

everything just feels so unsettled, lots of stuff happening at work and on the personal front as well. haiyohzzzz

still got so much unpacking and rearranging to do....but let's update the t-blog first, shall we?

2lng7px.jpg

my Delta faucet from Amazon. mad love! have to be careful about closing it though...has to be at a certain angle or water will continue dripping

9u5ao0.jpg

"The Cupboard Under The Stairs"

No door yet coz waiting for the marble skirting and patch up. We reinstated the original door for the storeroom (my parents had it on the other wall). The shelving is from Sim Win Liang Pte Ltd - $120

2n16h5z.jpg

The alu panel for the TV room. No glass because it broke earlier, haiz. 

wtve69.jpg

Installation of my ceiling light in the void. My electrician wanted to charge $400 for this, but these guys from EL Electrical Trading did it for $180

331j6g5.jpg

We ordered venetian blinds for the study and TV room from Meridian Curtains - was quoted $10 pfr. Since they were here, had them measure my bedrooms for the curtain tracks as well. 

anerf6.jpg

the DB box and SMARTBOX thingies for the smart home system

xq9fdh.jpg

can control the lights in the house from the app. pretty cool...esp when you have too many lights! eventually the AC and ceiling fans will be wired up as well. 

it's been exactly a week since we moved it and the house is still not very settled...hurrhurr *cries*