Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zirhk3355

All Tanglin Halt Road Neighbours! Report In Here!

Hi guys and gals,

We are new to the neighbourhood, Blk 89ers. will move in to the flat in abt 2-3 weeks, spending xmas here. just a head's up to my friendly fellow TTers.

Me and wifey love to makan, so we already checked out quite a few of the gd food that's available within the radius of 2 km. Quite good if u ask me... Cheers!

Anyone tried at TT 16th storey Blk 116 where a lot of good cze char congregate... 2 chefs, Hong Kong Street (zhenji and fuji) and one more famous for its fried chicken wings(name escapes me).

Saw the other day that Queenstown Margaret Drive all the stalls closed, is it really closed for renovation already? missing Yelaixiang and the char kway teow there.

Welcome to TH yster and wifey.

You are right! A lot of nice zi char stalls ard our area. In fact, the "Sheng Ji" located just abt two-three bus stops away from here is good. They are situated along Holland Road (the beginning of it), opposite SPC petrol kiosk. Recommended food is their crab noodle, swet & sour pork, hot plate stuffs. Also can try the rojak and western food there. Sorry, I cant rem the block number, but easy to locate.

As for the famous chicken wing staff located at CW 16th flr, I also cant recall the shop name. But everytime I go, sur super long queue. The uncle very good .... always display your ordered chicken wings nicely on the plate or bag (if you are taking away). But my wife commented that for the same price $1.20 per pc, Ikea's tastes better and of cos, juicer and bigger in size. From the same shop, you can also order mee or mee hoon and other fried items. For you guys to try and comment.

Along Farrer Road,. there are one or two teochew restaurants (if I recall correctly) located at the extended area of the HDB flats ..... if you take a double decker bus and sitting on the upper deck, you will definitely see it and crowded at night. Their food is nice and reasonably priced. Tried once.

As for the hawker centre at Queenstown, the food there generally not bad. Very crowded during lunch time on weekdays. On weekends, there is this stall that sells dumplings (fried or steamed) located at level 2. Taste not bad but they require to order I think at least 8 dumplings per order. Good for bigger families. can also try their watery hor fun or char mee. Pay additional 10c (hope its correct) for free flow of tea.

The char kuey tiao at level 1 is a bit oily for mee .... anyway, nice food seldom healthy. Hehehe.

The chicken rice is superbly nice .... got two stalls - one at level one middle lane and the other at level two. Both taste equally good ... I will buy whichever stall is open. Lastly, try the popiah ....for normal makan, can buy from the shop at level 1 facing NTUC. If for mass catering, can order the skin and cups at level 2. :P

Okie, that's all for this time ... will report more next time .... Meiling FC is yummy too ... still within 2km rite? :sport-smiley-003:

:yamseng:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
hihi... can join facebook group as well... "Blk 89 - 91 Tanglin Halt Residents"

i've also yet to taste the peanut pancake... dono where the exact location is... :dunno:

I thought it was that shop located in the TH market area, beside the kuey chap stall.

I tried several times since last year when shifted in. Taste not bad though, and if you are lucky, you will be able to get to try the yam-filled round-shaped pancake. Try .... not bad.

Hope more nicer food is on the way here .... cheers!

Wow, you all really very familiar with the food here!

So many places mentioned and I dun even know...

haha...you are too busy lahz...maybe once in a while we should also meet up for occasional dinner at these places?

haha...you are too busy lahz...maybe once in a while we should also meet up for occasional dinner at these places?

Yeah we should! I think I only seen you once... :notti::sport-smiley-003:

Wow, you all really very familiar with the food here!

So many places mentioned and I dun even know...

That's true, many nice makan places ard here. In fact, if we explore beyond 2km (say abt 3-4km), i rem there is this old shop along sunset way that sell nice Paper-wrapped chicken .... they are still there cos one of the recent makan show featured them on TV. Can drive there and experience their hand-made/home-cook food. If not can take bus 61.

Can also try the ABC market along Jln Bt Merah Road and the Alexandra FC. Nice and cheap food.

Cheers.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../393886/1/.html

SINGAPORE : The National Development Ministry (MND) has on Wednesday released the details of another 10 temporary dormitory sites for foreign workers.

The 10 sites, comprising 3 vacant state buildings and 7 vacant state lands, will provide an additional 20,000 bed spaces.

The 3 state properties which will be converted into temporary dormitories are the former Queenstown Polyclinic at 51 Margaret Drive, the former CAAS office at 1801 Upper Changi Road North, and the existing CPG Corporation Airport Development Division at 1800 Upper Changi Road North.

The former Queenstown Polyclinic and the former CAAS office will house 150 construction workers each. MND said these two temporary dormitories will be ready in about 3 to 6 months.

After the CPG Airport branch is vacated in 3 to 6 months' time, it will be tendered out for the development of a temporary dormitory for 800 construction workers.

The 7 state lands which can be developed into temporary dormitory sites are located in or near industrial estates. The sites are at Mandai Road, Old Choa Chu Kang Road, Hougang Avenue 3, Seletar West Farmway which is located in Jalan Kayu, Jurong Road and Kim Chuan Road.

Their leases have been kept to not more than 6 years.

MND said it has consulted the area's Members of Parliament (MPs) and grassroots organisations in the past two months on the development of the sites into temporary dormitories.

It added that several measures will be put in place to minimise the inconveniences posed by the dormitory developments. These include requiring the dormitories to have adequate facilities for workers, appointing a liaison officer as a point of contact for the grassroots organisations, and conducting educational programmes to inform workers of the social norms and laws in Singapore.

The government is also engaging the MPs and grassroots leaders of existing areas with very high foreign worker populations to identify and implement appropriate measures.

The temporary dormitories are part of the government's efforts to provide proper housing for foreign workers, while more purpose built dormitories come on stream over the next few years. - CNA /ls

Welcome to TH yster and wifey.

Lastly, try the popiah ....for normal makan, can buy from the shop at level 1 facing NTUC. If for mass catering, can order the skin and cups at level 2. :P

The popiah stall at level one also sell in package. $50 for about 40 rolls. Order 1 day in advance, they will prepare all the ingredients in seperate boxes. We just had a popiah party recently.

Oh, heard from the news yesterday that MND is converting the old queenstown polyclinic to temp foreign workers domitary.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../393886/1/.html

The former Queenstown Polyclinic and the former CAAS office will house 150 construction workers each. MND said these two temporary dormitories will be ready in about 3 to 6 months.

Hmm...will the foreign workers march to Ridout Tea Garden Mcdonalds for their lunch/dinner? :D

Hmm...will the foreign workers march to Ridout Tea Garden Mcdonalds for their lunch/dinner? :D

hmm...don't think they will waste their hard-earned money on that...

MND said it has consulted the area's Members of Parliament (MPs) and grassroots organisations in the past two months on the development of the sites into temporary dormitories.

Not that I am resistance to the idea of foreign workers domitaries in our neighbourhood but perhaps we as residents could also be informed/consulted earlier of this development.

Edited by TYM

Not that I am resistance to the idea of foreign workers domitaries in our neighbourhood but perhaps we as residents could also be informed/consulted earlier of this development, at the very least put up some notice at the lift lobby.

Agree!

Agree!

At least we are quite distance from them. hope they don't hang out at sheng siong or our blks get drunk n create problems or just simply dirty our compound.

I remember our PM mentions that there will be a revamp at the big plot of land. I suspect this is part of the revamp to turn that area into a mini fusion town of all races and cultures, so you can see alot of chinese, ang mo, ah neh and singaporeans there. :good:

Looks like I've picked the right place to live in, thks for the warm welcome ppl. Skyspectrum, I think I'm going to like u a lot, you seem quite the makan guru...will try out those teochew places along farrer rd.

Yah, quite a lot of changes going to come to queenstown, seems that a lot construction will come abt that area. Even as I was renovating, quite a few MPs came by to visit the area right?