Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yeohda

ID warned me about buying lighting from Jb, need confirmation

Hi all,

I'm looking for some confirmation regarding buying and installing lights from JB. My ID/contractor is telling me that if I buy lighting from JB, any electrical fire caused by those components will invalidate any fire/hone protection insurance I have. Is this true?  

JB is a lot cheaper, but I can understand if it comes at a cost to quality. Seeing as ~80% of house fires are electrical fires, I'm trying to weigh up the risk of filling my walls walls ceilings with Malaysian-bought electrical products. Just want to know if this is true or if he's misinformed as I was all set to go and buy from JB soon. 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
2 hours ago, elginang said:

Yeohda: you sign contract with them le mah?

Yup. Everything's good with them, just on the topic of the lighting they said I can get from JB or Singapore. Just that they generally recommend Singapore for the reasons above. 

Honestly, the lightings in JB from decent lighting shops will be just as safe. It's only a very convenient excuse from the insurer to not compensate you should anything happen.

Just proceed to get it from JB then. :) IF you notice there are three costs for lighting.

1) Lighting install.

2) Lighting point.

3) Purchase lighting itself.

If you buy bulk lightings from JB is cheaper due to overall. But beware of the GST when going through checkpoint, per person allowable is $150. More than that you have to top up and pay the difference for GST. So if you intend to go over there, bring 3 or 4 ppl with you. I brought 2 with me so total gst coverage is only 450. The balance i have to top up tt's all.

33 minutes ago, elginang said:

Just proceed to get it from JB then. :) IF you notice there are three costs for lighting.

1) Lighting install.

2) Lighting point.

3) Purchase lighting itself.

If you buy bulk lightings from JB is cheaper due to overall. But beware of the GST when going through checkpoint, per person allowable is $150. More than that you have to top up and pay the difference for GST. So if you intend to go over there, bring 3 or 4 ppl with you. I brought 2 with me so total gst coverage is only 450. The balance i have to top up tt's all.

Yup. my thoughts exactly. As long as what I'm getting in JB is not going to burn my house down (which I doubt) it makes sense to get them from JB. Thanks for the clarification on the GST being only on the balance over the $150 allowance per person. Used to think it was entire amount.

Your ID is being professional & giving you his 'professional' advice.

All appliances sold in Singapore must be tested before they are being sold locally but then, we still can find some things sold here without approve stickers. That being said, the stickers can be fake too. When hunting for appliances for my home some years back, I normally go to industrial park to shop and there are some appliances that are marked 'For Export'. We can still buy them but they are not test/approve by PSB (not sure if it is still call PSB), so user use at his/her own risk. Of course, the price is different.

Then again, an appliance that is tested & approve does not mean it is 100% safe. There was a 'stop use' notification issue by one of the branded hob/hood manufacturer just this week in Singapore.

Arya full of b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t la w7_lee.

Go check out the price of philips led comparing sg and jb. I do agree to the extent that one philips led maybe charge $70 plus or more, compared to jb which charged 160 ringgit.

Sg stores charge higher because of rental and ease of convenience. But if got own transport, and if you are willing to save, why not?

And also dont expect buying 20 over ringgit product to be the same as buying a 60 dollars product quality. Ultimately, most of the electrical products come from china, unless you really want to buy branded names.

Not sure if the Mr. DIY at KSL City in jb is a good place for led light bulbs and other things, but like I probably mentioned in another thread i'll probably check it the next time i'm there.

How is that convenient for them (the contractor)? They didn't impose on you a specific brand or shop where to buy lighting products from. In this case, you could imply they have a contract and get a certain percentage from the sales. However, they told you two brands that you can't use, and they also came with an explanation - security reasons. It makes sense to me. You want to buy the cheapest lighting products and want the insurance to cover everything in case anything goes wrong. I would recommend for those interested https://www.vont.com/product/vont-bulb-color-smart-light-bulbs-smart-bulbs/ for high-quality products.