Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wainism

Need Advice On Whether To Get Id Or Contractor

Hi all

I am looking to renovate my mansionette in Bishan (about 15 years old)

I have some rough idea what I want to do and will only require the following:

1) Fixing wall wardrobes and maybe cabinets/drawers

2) Redoing toilet (3 toilets)

3) Redoing kitchen

I intend to buy my furniture like dining table, lights, sofa etc myself.

Would just like to seek you opinions on whether I should get an Interior Designer or just get a contractor. My concern is that if I just get a contractor, he may not fully comprehend what I want in terms of colour, measurements etc. Also, warranty concerns.

Also, if I get an ID who I understand will find and communicate with the contractors on the wardrobe and maybe moving the electrical plugs around, will it be very expensive?

Please help, as this is the first time I am renovating my house.

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My 2 cents worth of opinion is that, if you already know what you want to do and have an ideal of the design you want, go for contractor. If you have not idea on what to do with your house, like space planning, design, etc, then engage an ID.

My 2 cents worth of opinion is that, if you already know what you want to do and have an ideal of the design you want, go for contractor. If you have not idea on what to do with your house, like space planning, design, etc, then engage an ID.

Hi,

Thats what I thought, but after reading around on the forums, I have the following concerns:

1) By just engaging contractor, mostly dont come with warranty, also, no professional communication and supervision (ie. no designer designs, everything by description). This then requires constant supervision as they work.

2) With reference to point 1, is the money saved worth it for the constant supervision, time spent on looking for a gd contractor, lack of warranty?

Thanks, hope my concerns arent too ridiculous, really quite paranoid cos my dad did some reno some yrs back by using a contractor only and kena some real bad job. Budget is pretty tight, so dont have much flexibility if the contractor screws up.

Thanks.

Well.... true to some extend.... But there are some pretty good and experience contractors around whom I have seen doing a good job on my friend's houses. Not all contractors are without warranty too.

I'll suggest u get quotation from both ID and contractor first..u might be surprise some contractors price higher than ID. If ID price differences by not much, go for ID at least u get to see what ur house will look like before u go into renovation..

Me and hubby started looking around for ID and contractor even before our 1st appoint(we got a resale flat)..gotten quite a number of quotation from both ID and contractor before we conclude on our ID.

I'll suggest u get quotation from both ID and contractor first..u might be surprise some contractors price higher than ID. If ID price differences by not much, go for ID at least u get to see what ur house will look like before u go into renovation..

Me and hubby started looking around for ID and contractor even before our 1st appoint(we got a resale flat)..gotten quite a number of quotation from both ID and contractor before we conclude on our ID.

Thanks very much.

Guess I will get a couple of quotes then.

Thanks!