Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wainism

Things Needed To Start Discussion With Id/contractor?

Hi,

Suppose I want to start discussions with an ID or contractor to get their quotes, what are the things required?

Floor plan? (Can I get this from HDB or something)

Photos from magazine to show roughly the type i need?

Also, what are the things I need to tell or ask my ID?

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Floor plan - this is a MUST... so that ID can design & estimate the cost... pay $5 to get from HDB ...

Photos from magazine to show roughly the type i need - if U confirm U like that design... otherwise let the ID design for U...

Also, what are the things I need to tell or ask my ID - budget... what are the things U like and dislike...

also the kind of material you want, the general style you are looking at etc

what i did was look around for packages, remove those i didn't want and add in those i want, then i went down to IMM and took name cards from every company, asking them to photocopy my flr plan. then i send the list to everyone specifying the material for everything and wait for their quotes. from there i have a gauge of the pricing and pick the few i like then visit ongoing projects...

also the kind of material you want, the general style you are looking at etc

what i did was look around for packages, remove those i didn't want and add in those i want, then i went down to IMM and took name cards from every company, asking them to photocopy my flr plan. then i send the list to everyone specifying the material for everything and wait for their quotes. from there i have a gauge of the pricing and pick the few i like then visit ongoing projects...

Hi there, my personal feel on those with "standard packages".

When you don't want a certain item from the package, they tend to take it out cheaply, and when you want to add in something, it will be expensive. It would be good if they are willing to do a separate quote with itemised pricing for individuals items.

Eg, kitchen toilet, change bifold door to frosted glass casement ..

On the spot -$180 + $500 ..

From the quotations of other ID firms, bifold door range from $240 to $260 ..

Frosted glass casement will have to depend on thickness and the hinge used, can range from $350 to $680 ..

Anyway, on threadstarter's question ..

A basic would be your floorplan.

A brief idea of what theme you want, else let the ID explain and suggest.

Your budget, how much you willing to spend.

yes forgot to mention, i send all of them the same list asking for itemised pricing

so that i can remove those i find expensive or retain those i find the pricing reasonable...

hi all,

i was just thinking, if i decide to buy my own furniture and lights. then what does the ID do?

does he only come up with stuff like wiring and some carpentry work like wardrobes etc?

cos i think the ID makes most money out of getting the furniture and stuff for you right?

thanks

hi all,

i was just thinking, if i decide to buy my own furniture and lights. then what does the ID do?

does he only come up with stuff like wiring and some carpentry work like wardrobes etc?

cos i think the ID makes most money out of getting the furniture and stuff for you right?

thanks

Well... reno value got big and small... if U let them do the carpentry... they earn more... if U don't ... they earn less....

But if U are not doing the carpentry... then there is no much thing the ID can design...

Well... reno value got big and small... if U let them do the carpentry... they earn more... if U don't ... they earn less....

But if U are not doing the carpentry... then there is no much thing the ID can design...

Definitely carpentry the ID will do, cos i want to have wall wardrobes as i dont intend to buy ready made and keep changing when it spoils.

Just to check, usually an ID will draw/design the place down to the lights, accessories like coffee tables and stuff and proceed to help u purchase or u purchase those urself?

thanks