Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bigbird

Centralised Gas Water Heater Or Electric Instant Water Heater?

Hi,

Am going to renovate my new house and is wondering betw centralised gas water heater and electric inst water heater

Adv of centralised gas water heater

- better water pressure

- nicer because can have rain shower head and nice shower tap :-)

Disadv of centralised gas water heater

- Waste water. This is because everytime you will need to flush out the cold water from the hot water pipe before the hot water will flow in from the centralised water heater

For utility bill $$ that will spend on inst water heater, can roughly calculate. Eg the inst water heater is @ 3KWH. The current SP charge is $0.20 per KWH. Assuming the whole household spend 1 hr / day bathing, then the bill will be $0.20 x 3 x 30 = $18

As for the $$ required for centralised gas water heater , not too sure....

Anyone can advise??

Thks!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, are you referring to the gas water heater by Citygas? Have called them up and apparently, this needs to be placed where there is ventilation. I am interested in getting that too as it comes free if you signed up the citygas account. Was told that it works the same way as a storage heater. It also doesn't look as big and bulky as a storage heater.

Apparently, monthly bill for gas heater is cheaper than electric ones...but by how much i'm not sure....

Hi, i dont think a gas water heater works like a storage heater... but there are similarities..

a gas water heater is an instantaneous heater, like the electric heater, jsut that the electric heater uses a heating element (powered by electticity) while the gas heater heats up the water by using a flame... storage heater on the other hand is like those electric airpots.. there is a tank whereby the water gets heated up..

similarity between gas and storage is the heater serve as a multi point heater, meaning u only need 1 and run pipes to all your points (both bathrooms, etc)...

the reason it waste water during heat up is bcos of where the heater is installed. normally installed in the kitchen (need ventilation so cannot install in bathroom), so the hot water got to push the cold water out of the pipe all the way from the kitchen so a bit of wastage.. as for gas, per unit it is cheaper than electricity.. I use for cooking and water heater, the bill for gas is still lower than the electricity bill....

Hi, are you referring to the gas water heater by Citygas? Have called them up and apparently, this needs to be placed where there is ventilation. I am interested in getting that too as it comes free if you signed up the citygas account. Was told that it works the same way as a storage heater. It also doesn't look as big and bulky as a storage heater.

Apparently, monthly bill for gas heater is cheaper than electric ones...but by how much i'm not sure....

Thks pal for the fast reply!!

So, in summary, inst elect water heater will cost more in electricity bill. As for centralised gas heater, the gas bill will be lower as compared to electricity bill but have to take into consideration the wastage of water while flushing them out from the hot water pipe :notti:

Besides that, for HDB since we need to expose the hot water pipe, is it hot when touched? Asking cos afraid that you will accidentally knock onto those pipes or especially kids .......

i dunno how much water actually wasted la.. if dun want to waste, then catch the water in a pail or wat, can use to wash flr...

the pipes from the kitchen to the bathroom runs on the ceiling and is not visible.. inside the toilet, the pipes are exposed but also runs on the ceiling. the pipes coming down to my mixer are exposed, but so far, no injuries to anyone including all my kids.. if u use a mixer, the side where the hot water runs thru, will also be just as hot... my kids at one point or another hv touched the hot part of the mixer and they know its hot, so they dun touch it anymore.. its hot, but it wont scald u, unless u hold on to it and dun let go...

So, in summary, inst elect water heater will cost more in electricity bill. As for centralised gas heater, the gas bill will be lower as compared to electricity bill but have to take into consideration the wastage of water while flushing them out from the hot water pipe :notti:

Besides that, for HDB since we need to expose the hot water pipe, is it hot when touched? Asking cos afraid that you will accidentally knock onto those pipes or especially kids .......

i dunno how much water actually wasted la.. if dun want to waste, then catch the water in a pail or wat, can use to wash flr...

the pipes from the kitchen to the bathroom runs on the ceiling and is not visible.. inside the toilet, the pipes are exposed but also runs on the ceiling. the pipes coming down to my mixer are exposed, but so far, no injuries to anyone including all my kids.. if u use a mixer, the side where the hot water runs thru, will also be just as hot... my kids at one point or another hv touched the hot part of the mixer and they know its hot, so they dun touch it anymore.. its hot, but it wont scald u, unless u hold on to it and dun let go...

since we are in the topic of :( heater.

I heard that you need to lit the fire inside the gas heater sometime. Is it true?

not sometime, its all the time.... whenever u need hot water, u turn on ur tap, the heater detects the water pressure, it will auto lite up the flame to heat up the fire. u turn off the tap, the fire goes off..

since we are in the topic of :( heater.

I heard that you need to lit the fire inside the gas heater sometime. Is it true?

So, in summary, inst elect water heater will cost more in electricity bill. As for centralised gas heater, the gas bill will be lower as compared to electricity bill but have to take into consideration the wastage of water while flushing them out from the hot water pipe :(

U stay in new or old hdb flat? The pipes in hdb's premium flats are now all concealed inside the walls. So dun have to worry abt hot pipes.

U stay in new or old hdb flat? The pipes in hdb's premium flats are now all concealed inside the walls. So dun have to worry abt hot pipes.

I stayed in a old hdb flat. But even with new flats having concealed piping, does HDB installed the hot water piping ready for the owner :help:

not sometime, its all the time.... whenever u need hot water, u turn on ur tap, the heater detects the water pressure, it will auto lite up the flame to heat up the fire. u turn off the tap, the fire goes off..

Cool :yamseng: . I tot need to start fire using the spark gun thingy everytime. haha ;)