Not Hdb Registered Reno Contractor

actually the reason why some contractors choose to remain unlicenced

is bcoz of the licence fee that they need to pay hdb

so they choose not to be licenced

these usually concentrate on private properties

so you can't say that they are not good simply bcoz they dun have hdb licence

if they are good enough to do private properties and take up condo projects

also, about the part of us being lessees

the most glaring difference is that hdb can take back the flat simply bcoz we violate the 'rules' but private property cannot

also, if you buy a private property, as long as you are not touching the structural beams, you are free to do anything to the unit

but for hdb flats, the hacking of a wall requires permit, even though it does not affect the structure at all :sport-smiley-004:

it's not so much down-playing our rights or what

it's just that hdb flats are just like government-flats in other countries, but packaged in a much nicer way

Edited by applefreak

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

just read up on the HDB website. I think some remain unlicensed probably as they cant meet the criteria that HDB has set.

Got these from the HDB website:

Please ensure that you satisfy the following registration criteria before submitting your application to HDB:

Applicant's company has to be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) for a minimum of ONE year without any blemished records;

Applicant must possess THREE years experience in the renovation works and must be actively involved in the renovation trade. For evaluation of the company's performance, applicant is required to submit FIVE invoices for renovation works with an accumulative sum of not less than $50,000/-; and

Applicant must satisfy the HDB that he has sufficient financial resources and with proper staff establishment.

For Private Limited company, the minimum paid up capital is $30,000/-.

Seems more acredited... at least they are financially stable with min paid up capital of $30k and not those 'free lance' sub con or contractors who go around soliciting for business and possible of running away with your money..

not too sure...

what do the rest of u think?

maybe i'm rather sceptical about this whole 'hdb licenced' thing coz hdb will not do anything if the home owner runs into problems with the contractors

registered with ACRA for one year with unblemished records meaning?

think it's just filing accounts on time etc rather than complaints received against them relating to renovation

the $30k paid up is also not a guarantee coz it's always expensive to try and get the money back

look at the problems renovictim is going through

being hdb licenced does not help a bit

for me, as long as the contractor is reputable, price reasonable and work is of a certain level, i dun mind if the contractor is licenced or not :)

This is exactly the same dillema I am facing right now. I want to engage this contractor to do my house but their company is not a hdb registered contractor. Will HDB penalize me if I proceed with renovation with them?

The main reason why I chose them is that I have seen a lot of IDs finished flats already but theirs is more superior in terms of quality and workmanship. Their company sells furnitures to commercial market. And their price is lower than the IDs have quoted me. This is the only problem why I have not signed contract with them. I am worried that HDB penalize me if I engage them.

Anyone here had experienced renovating their hdb flat using non hdb registered contractor. Pls share your experience and advice to me. THank You.

This is exactly the same dillema I am facing right now. I want to engage this contractor to do my house but their company is not a hdb registered contractor. Will HDB penalize me if I proceed with renovation with them?

The main reason why I chose them is that I have seen a lot of IDs finished flats already but theirs is more superior in terms of quality and workmanship. Their company sells furnitures to commercial market. And their price is lower than the IDs have quoted me. This is the only problem why I have not signed contract with them. I am worried that HDB penalize me if I engage them.

@firstaider That will not be one of my main concern. There are definitely gems hidden within these groups that can do as good a job as their more established competitors. If you think about it, all these established companies also start off as relative unknowns in the industry. It's because people are willing to give them the chance to prove their worth at the initial stage that they are able to build a name for themselves now.

Finding a good contractor really boils down to individual judgement. Meet a few more contractors. Get a feel of how well they understand your needs and expectations. Don't be afraid to be honest with them if you have unusually high expectations. Quality of work can be subjective. What qualifies as reasonable standard to some may not be for others and most disputes arises because of a difference in expectations. Lay it straight off hand so that the expectations on both sides are aligned.

I think another good way will be to see how readily they agree to all your requirements. While it always feel great to hear that your contractor is able to deliver all that you want, but if all you get is a yes immediately, how much thought processes actually went through their mind? Its a cut-throat industry out there and I wont be surprised some will even promise you moon and stars just to get you signed on the dotted line. Get now, solve later.

Just open your eye big big and go with your gut feel. If your sixth sense tells you something is amiss, it probably is.

Just my 2 cents worth and i hope it helps.

Good luck for your renovation.