Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
enci

Cai's Bachelor's Den

Just a note to add on for this ID, Spacious Planners although got very few comments or reviews from this forum while alot of people says that they are expensive.I have to say a few fair words, becos this ID, kenny is from spacious planners, his designs are very nice and new age, modern, sleek watever words tat can best describe it .. he is very understanding guy, willing to work within my budget for my resale flat, and i would say that his designs are very unique and he understands my taste well enuff with just one say and he got excellent memory for every details of my house and watever I said .

Why ? He is one of the best ID that i tok to, listen ... he drew me a 2d perspective using pencil and even colouring when I have not signed any contract with him and he explains in very full details and best of all, he did not even ask me for any amount of money to present me with those pencil 2d drawings .. not many IDs would do that, I would say ... of cos i am not asking u guys to go make use of him for free ideas and perspectives but really to appreciate a hardworking ID as i myself have been searching despite of fear that Spacious Planners might be expensive, ESP to renovate n remake a resale flat with only a tiny budget.

i find that signing on the dotted line with the ID is like finding yr life partner lei.. really fate lor.. i started sourcing for ID since nov 2006 and only signed in mar 2007..

my id vincent is the second one whom drew perspectives for me even before i sign.. the first ID was from haier living but doing free lance work outside and really so busy so i dropped her.. but i did not like vincent at first sight and was very critical against him and his designs.. it was only like after 3 appointments, he was very patient with us, keep changing his drawings that i find he is really sincere lor..

keep the pictures coming in so that we know yr progress ya!! and good luck!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
i find that signing on the dotted line with the ID is like finding yr life partner lei.. really fate lor.. i started sourcing for ID since nov 2006 and only signed in mar 2007..

my id vincent is the second one whom drew perspectives for me even before i sign.. the first ID was from haier living but doing free lance work outside and really so busy so i dropped her.. but i did not like vincent at first sight and was very critical against him and his designs.. it was only like after 3 appointments, he was very patient with us, keep changing his drawings that i find he is really sincere lor..

keep the pictures coming in so that we know yr progress ya!! and good luck!!

yeah ... signing the line is so scary .. cos never noe wat gonna incur during the whole process... and i read that got plp say before signing contract ID very good once signed, like stranger.

yr ID firm frontier concept is not bad also :notti:!! they caught my attention but too ex ... hehe .. but i think u really got taste .. cos their designs r very unique ...

yr ID also drew pencil perspectives for u b4 signing ?

Any bad expriences to share with me ?? hehe

yeah .. will document the whole makeover process with photos soon ...

I had also talked to Kelvin from Gplan and he was aLso very sincere n helpful I would say but maybe I just did not have the affinity to meet him (hehe .. he got into a accident during the evening he supposed to meet me) ...

Hi Enci.. sorry u did not get to meet up with kelvin..He got involved in an accident while rushing to pick up some urgent accessories for me from PJ..really paisai but lucky only damage to his car.. have fun with your reno... :dunno:

Hi Enci.. sorry u did not get to meet up with kelvin..He got involved in an accident while rushing to pick up some urgent accessories for me from PJ..really paisai but lucky only damage to his car.. have fun with your reno... :P

i hope that he is safe n fine ...

Tomorrow is

VESAK DAY :dunno:!!

~ commemorates the BIRTH, ENLIGHTENMENT & FINAL NIRVANA of the BUDDHA ~

Wishing everyone a blessed n joyous Vesak Day ...

"Rare is the apperance of the Buddha, rare is to hear the sublime Teachings of the Buddha, Rare is the unity of the brotherhood" - Dhammapada

yeah ... signing the line is so scary .. cos never noe wat gonna incur during the whole process... and i read that got plp say before signing contract ID very good once signed, like stranger.

yr ID firm frontier concept is not bad also :P!! they caught my attention but too ex ... hehe .. but i think u really got taste .. cos their designs r very unique ...

yr ID also drew pencil perspectives for u b4 signing ?

Any bad expriences to share with me ?? hehe

yeah .. will document the whole makeover process with photos soon ...

haha, i'm a very paranoid person so at first i also worry like siao, scare my id disappear la, scare my id any charge my variation order la, scare my id very bad attitude la etc etc.. haha..

i think frontier so far overall designers are quite good (like my id vincent and ronnie, but i think sebastian and marlin is fairly new so abit less 'zai').. but i know their boss is a responsible chap so this kind of things do rub-off on their staff..

yup, vincent is really good at hand drawn perspectives!! sad to say their computer perspectives are pretty lousy.. haha.. so i ask him to hand draw all my perspectives instead.. :)

bad experience don't have la, just that, ids are still ids, earning a living so they do quite a no of units.. but to us, its only ONE AND ONLY UNIT so though we find it important, they tend to be a bit forgetful, careless now and then.. keep a close eye on things to ensure what you want is executed and for some reason missed out, at least you spot it and can rectify it immediately then wait till handover then do rectifications work..

Hi Enci.. sorry u did not get to meet up with kelvin..He got involved in an accident while rushing to pick up some urgent accessories for me from PJ..really paisai but lucky only damage to his car.. have fun with your reno... :D

Saw Kelvin going to collect his car one of the days I was at IMM (Vincent pointed him out to us as I told him Kelvin very popular in forum one) and he is quite uncle lor.. Expected someone more dynamic since he do so many units!! Haha~

Hi ... i got another quote from another ID firm, can u check for me what is being over charged ? I feel that its very high, esp when I did not hack my exisiting marble flooring and not really much carpentary jobs done .. pls advice me ... thanks ...

I also feel that they never give me freebies such as aircon, tv, sink, hob, etc etc ???? But he says that everything is negotiable, he says the the everything about be ard 27K not 32K as quoted which i feel is also quite steep for not really much work done... no new floor n no laminates for all my rooms

Enci

HAULAGE SERVICES

to hack FLOOR TILES at kitchen -$400

to hack MBR n Common Bathroom FLOOR TILES -$200

to hack WALL TILES at kitchen - $480

to hack WALL TILES @ MBR n Common Bathroom -$400

to demolish exisiting internal hollow block wall btw kitchen to hall - $80

to hack concrete support at exsiting Kitchen - $120

to hack exsisting vanity @ MBR n Common toilet - $80

to dismantle exisiting sanitary wares at MBR n Common Bathroom - $80

to dismantle exisiting kitchen cabinets - $200

clear of debris - FOC

load n unload of materials - FOC

CONSTRUCTION WORKS

to MAKE GOOD with chemical cement plastering for wall and ceiling that are affected by demolition works btw Hall and Kitchen - $220

to polish existing broken marble floor - $900

to apply waterproofing membrane for kitchen n service balcony - $240

to supply n lay homogenous art floor tiles for kitchen n service Balcony - $1400

to construct 2" height fridge and wasking mahine cement base with matching floor tiles - $160

to construct 2" height cabinet cement base with matching floor tile $200

to supply & lay selected homogenous art partial wall tiles at Kitchen - $1600

~(Common Bathroom)

to apply waterproofing membrane for bathroom before laying tiles - $80

to supply & lay selected homogenous art tiles at bathroom - $400

to construct floor height difference as shower kerb - $100

to supply and lay selected homogeneous art wall tiles - $1700

~(MBR Bathroom)

to apply waterproofing membrane for bathroom before laying tiles - $80

to supply & lay selected homogenous art tiles at bathroom - $400

to construct floor height difference as shower kerb - $100

to supply and lay selected homogeneous art wall tiles - $1800

PLUMBING WORKS

to supply n change stainless steel pipe for kitchen - $180

to supply n change stainless steel piple for both bathrooms -$400

to supply n install 2 hot points for showers -$250

labour to install 1 tank storage heater -$100

labour to install 2 shower head/mixer -FOC

labour to install 2 Basins $120

labour to install 2 mixers/taps for basins - FOC

labour to install 2 pedestal toilet bowls $300

labour to install 2 sets of toilet accesories - FOC

Labour to install Sink n mixer tap - $60

to supply n install 1 PVC sewage outlet pipes for kitchen -$80

to supply n install 1 PVC sewage outlet pipes for both bathrooms -$160

to supply n install outlet pipe for sink and washing machine - FOC

to supply n install outlet pipe for basin and shower for both bathrooms - FOC

PLASTERING WORKS

to supply and install false ceiling, cove light holder and Lbox **** n dining -$1500

to supply and install false ceiling, cove light holder and Lbox with 1 set of curtain pelmet at bedroom2 -$300

to dimantle exsiting cornices **** n dinning room - FOC

GLASS WORKS

to supply and install 1 custom made 10mm thick frameless tempered glass fitted shower screen panel and casement door with fittings and stainless steel handle at MBR - $640

to supply and install 2 custom made 10 mm thick tempered glass fitted panel at entrance of kitchen - $790

PAINTING WORKS

to supply and paint ceiling at wet area with sealant paint - $180

to supply and paint whole house wall and ceiling with emulsion paint (ICI or Nippon) -$1700

MISCELLANEOUS

to supply corrugated / plastic sheet for floor protection - $180

labour to lay corrugated plastic sheet FOC

to supply n do general cleaning for whole house $220

to provide application of permit from relevant authority - FOC

CARPENTARY WORKS

1 Buddha Altar boxup feature storage divider (L900/700 X D400 x HT850/1600mm) -$1200

1 Hung TV Cabinet (L 3600xD600xHt400mm) $1300

1 feature wall with mirror **** (L4200xD150x2400mm) - $2100

KITCHEN

top cabinet (L2400mm) -$960

bottom cabinet (L4800) -$1920

1 stainless steel rack - FOC

1 cutlery tray - FOC

to install cooker hob - $30

to install cooker hood - $30

Cresto solid surface solid top (L4800mm) - $1280

to open hole for top mount sink - FOC

1 set of sliding door for heavy duty rack $900

MBR

1 wardrobe (L2700 x D600 x ht2400mm) - $2160

1 TV Cabinet $480

TOTAL: $30,940

5% GST $1547.00

GRAND TOTAL: $32,487

Hi Enci,

From the list of items quoted, the items that are eating up your budget are the carpentry work and GST. Probably you can review on the items that you want and strike off the items that are not necessary. Freebies do not come free, it is just sound nice to indicate as free but in the end everything is factor in as hidden cost. I think your ID is prepared to have a price tug-war with you, so think about your budget (inc. GST) and tell him the price that you want to offer for the listed items, do not bargain items by items like buying vege and ask auntie for free chili padi. Anyway if you go to contractors, they do not have GST.

As for the tiles, is the quoted price based on the kind of tiles that you want? If not, then ask him for the price range for the tiles. Then calculate your electrical point, tv point, telephone point and lighting point carefully...if it is insufficient towards the end, your ID may ripped you off because you cannot runaway since you have started renovation with him and this apply to other items too.

All IDs and contractors are like fruit seller, whenever you ask if the fruits are sweet before buying, they will sure say "very sweet" but in the end they sour when you eat them.

Hi Enci,

From the list of items quoted, the items that are eating up your budget are the carpentry work and GST. Probably you can review on the items that you want and strike off the items that are not necessary. Freebies do not come free, it is just sound nice to indicate as free but in the end everything is factor in as hidden cost. I think your ID is prepared to have a price tug-war with you, so think about your budget (inc. GST) and tell him the price that you want to offer for the listed items, do not bargain items by items like buying vege and ask auntie for free chili padi. Anyway if you go to contractors, they do not have GST.

As for the tiles, is the quoted price based on the kind of tiles that you want? If not, then ask him for the price range for the tiles. Then calculate your electrical point, tv point, telephone point and lighting point carefully...if it is insufficient towards the end, your ID may ripped you off because you cannot runaway since you have started renovation with him and this apply to other items too.

All IDs and contractors are like fruit seller, whenever you ask if the fruits are sweet before buying, they will sure say "very sweet" but in the end they sour when you eat them.

thanks for the advice .. but the carpentary is the basic i need ... can advise which to "bargain" ????

thanks for the advice .. but the carpentary is the basic i need ... can advise which to "bargain" ????

Based on their quoted price 32K, you have to think whether is it worth paying for. If too expensive, then what can you offer for the same items...E.g. If 26K is your budget, just tell your ID that you are offering 26K max for this project and it is "either deal or no deal situation", there is alot of hassle to go through item by item. Try bargaining from the big figure 1st.

Hi Enci,

I agree with sumobear comments.

As for your quote...this depends on the ID company. Are they contractor type or those expensive ID company.

I find some items are very expensive (e.g install pedestal toilet bowls, feature wall, MBR wardrobe, painting whole house, etc..) and some items are ok. Ask what kind of materials will be using and price range of tiles to choose from?

I have PMed you more details on things to check and expected price range.

Hi Enci,

I agree with sumobear comments.

As for your quote...this depends on the ID company. Are they contractor type or those expensive ID company.

I find some items are very expensive (e.g install pedestal toilet bowls, feature wall, MBR wardrobe, painting whole house, etc..) and some items are ok. Ask what kind of materials will be using and price range of tiles to choose from?

I have PMed you more details on things to check and expected price range.

to supply and paint whole house wall and ceiling with emulsion paint (ICI or Nippon) -$1700

if u engage nippon people to paint, their supreme package (the other is classic at $1300) for 5 rooms is only $1400 as a comparision. plus, they will do those computer colour stimulation i think. was at ikea alexandra just now and standing outside home fix where they have a banner on this promotion.

agree with bear & style, need to know if this is more on contractor or designer..

Thanks to lifestyle for the pvt msg and everyone for the comments n advice ... I will talk to my ID this week again ... and update everyone ..

there is also another issue that i need to seek for advice, i noticed that the quotation does not includes the toilet bowl, basin, tap, mirror and shower mixer. and also no sink, no hob, no cooker .. morever, i also dun understand how home the tv console is a seperate quote from the feature wall ? just a wooden plank 1300 ?? as well i top up 300 more and get the mondi tempered glass cabinet ... really gonna tug of war with my ID liao ...

can i roughly know how much does these toilet accesories normally cost up to ?

lightings n electrical works roughly ard how much ??? I am thinking to reuse my crystal lights, advisable ??

gosh .. it's like never ending cash flowing out ... lucky, i got my new sofa and lcd tv liao ... only need to change dinning table ... also if anyone noes where to get cheap lightings and "OM" feel kind of dinning table ...

Hi Enci,

Normally quotation will exclude accessories and quote labour separately.

If you can get "loose item" say from Mondi then it usually is cheaper. Reason why most do customisation (knowing tht carpentry are very expensive) is due to the size & dimension variation from the mass produced item from shops.

You can drop by various shops and most accesories items are very competitive priced (except for branded & special features items).

Full house re-wiring electrical & lighting points cost varies from different electricians. For a licensed electrician for a 45 light points cost (incl labour) about $3-3.5K.

Yes, it can be an expensive costs if all add up with furnitures, appliances, accessories, electricals/lghting and any customised requests. So best is to have a true budget and work backward from there like what Sumobear mentioned ealier.

Thanks to lifestyle for the pvt msg and everyone for the comments n advice ... I will talk to my ID this week again ... and update everyone ..

there is also another issue that i need to seek for advice, i noticed that the quotation does not includes the toilet bowl, basin, tap, mirror and shower mixer. and also no sink, no hob, no cooker .. morever, i also dun understand how home the tv console is a seperate quote from the feature wall ? just a wooden plank 1300 ?? as well i top up 300 more and get the mondi tempered glass cabinet ... really gonna tug of war with my ID liao ...

can i roughly know how much does these toilet accesories normally cost up to ?

lightings n electrical works roughly ard how much ??? I am thinking to reuse my crystal lights, advisable ??

gosh .. it's like never ending cash flowing out ... lucky, i got my new sofa and lcd tv liao ... only need to change dinning table ... also if anyone noes where to get cheap lightings and "OM" feel kind of dinning table ...

Hi again...

As mentioned by lifestyle that customisation is very costly, so probably you can find another alternative like finding an exisiting furniture from shops to replace and I am sure you can find something good and probably better but just have to spend more time running about. Pricing of cupboards or cabinets are normally calculated by Sq/ft, so you can calculate the price quoted. Consider IKEA's stuff if your budget is tight.

I personally feel that ID firms have more levels of mark-ups starting from material supplier, sub-con, contractor and IDs. So some people skip the ID and go to contractor to avoid giving the additional share to IDs and in fact some contractors can be quite good coz they have experiences working with ID firms so they can also contribute similar ideas but just do not expect colourful drawing from them or have coffee-cum-discussion at Starbucks coz they will probably be lost with what to order from the menu.

I think it is constantly changing home fashion trend and probably people are more educated with design and aesthetic values so they become more demanding with things and most IDs or Contractors will prefer owners to hunt for their own fixtures. Another words, it is getting more ala-carte. I think if an ID is good, he/she should advice you on the kind of fixtures that you should get based on a given budget and probably the ID should follow you around. You paid the ID so such services should be included. I never trust an ID probably because I like to do up my home with my own style so I have decided to get a contractor but unfortunately my contractor is just an average one.

Then you should avoid comparing prices with people in the forum unless the item specification is the same or else you will get yourselve confused. Nice and branded stuffs are more expensive compared to the normal household looking kind of fixtures so it is all up to individual. For example lightings, you can have a swaroski crystal lighting or a simple hanging light from IKEA. I use mostly track-lights and IKEA lighting for my home, and they still look great.

Don't try to stress yourself up by I want this or that now because things can always buy along the way when you have moved in. Just get the essential ones right now.

thank u so much lifestyle n summobear for the advice ...

waiting to talk to my ID tomorow when he comes to my home ... he say can negotiate :good:!!

haha ...