Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
whally

Remove Bathtub And Install Shower Cubicle

I needed advice from you guys about removing my bathtub and put a shower cubicle in its place. My bathroom flooring and wall are made of marble. I intend to remove the bath tub, hack down the concrete and marble that is holding the bath tub, and construct a shower cubicle in its place. I don't intend to reno any other parts of the bathroom. The shower cubicle can be glass or any clear material.

I understand that the area where the bath tub used to sit will need to be covered with new flooring and this will not match with the existing flooring. That is why I intend to use a different type of material, for example, mosaic that looks like stone. Any ideas? My marble is beige with brown random patterns.

I am clueless about how much this kind of work will entail. I am staying in a 1 bedroom condo. People who have done it before please give me some guidelines (like how long it takes, costs, what to watch out for, etc). Also, if any good contractor to recommend please pm me.

Thanks for any comment, help.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

An easier and also cheaper way is to install a shower 'tray' instead of ret-tiling the floor area where the tub used to be. Not going is the cost of re-tiling expensive, you will need to do water-proofing and it's not exactly cheap. You can go to places like Hoe Kee where they sell different sizes of bath trays. Fit this on the ground, and maybe find some floor tiles that you use to lay as circumference to this area and it can still look very nice.

Not having matching floor tiles is not such a bad thing either. These days, IDs even try to use contrasting floor tiles for their creative expression.

One advice I have for you. If you want to use frameless glass door + fixed glass panels, try to fix these across wall to wall. Don't do funny things like adjoining 2 pieces of glass, example L shape shower which will need silicon to join. Mildew and mould is disgusting.

An easier and also cheaper way is to install a shower 'tray' instead of ret-tiling the floor area where the tub used to be. Not going is the cost of re-tiling expensive, you will need to do water-proofing and it's not exactly cheap. You can go to places like Hoe Kee where they sell different sizes of bath trays. Fit this on the ground, and maybe find some floor tiles that you use to lay as circumference to this area and it can still look very nice.

Not having matching floor tiles is not such a bad thing either. These days, IDs even try to use contrasting floor tiles for their creative expression.

One advice I have for you. If you want to use frameless glass door + fixed glass panels, try to fix these across wall to wall. Don't do funny things like adjoining 2 pieces of glass, example L shape shower which will need silicon to join. Mildew and mould is disgusting.

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible to water-proofing and re-tile only the area where the bath tub was?

I do not have left-over marble slabs to be used to paste on the surrounding walls. So, I need to get new tiles or other materials to cover the wall. I worry it is going to be ugly and people are able to tell right away that a bath tub is removed. I worry this may affect the selling or rental price in future when I am not staying here anymore.

Yes. I want to build the glass from wall to wall, running the full length of the existing bath tub.

Is it better to go to a renovation company or straight to a contractor for my case?

Also, if I take up a renovate package for the entire bathroom, including vanity, toilet, shower, how much it generally costs?

Edited by whally