Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
remixer

Which Type Of Water Pipes Is Good?

My contractor install copper water pipes for my home.He said copper is better than stainless steel.Is any true?Any other better material than copper?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Copper is still the best. Titanium is better, but I doubt u operate yr home to a nuclear power station or space shuttle requirements.

that's the first time I heard about people saying copper is better than stainless steel.....

stainless steel installation required more skillful worker, coper is so easy to twist!

the best is actually PVC, some very good Australian brand is even stronger than stainless steel!

We opted for stainless steel because I hate the green color oxide residue.....

The problem with Stainless steel is that it is brittle. Under water hammer conditions, the joints are more likely to leak. Also, copper is easier to install if the run is not so straight, as stainless steel pipes is not so easily bent.

PPR pipe is a new product, and the track record in a tropical environment is still not known. It is currently used in new developments as a cheaper alternative to copper pipes, as copper prices have gone through the roof. However, lately... copper pipes originating from China have some QC issues, so.. is hard to say what is really good now.

brittle is only at the joint right? I got a small crack at one of the joint, but that's the nut itself, not the pipe itself. After they changed it, it never have problem anymore. Yes, it's very very hard to install :P

actually my contractor also say that copper is better

both material doesn't last, just that copper oxidises and become a greenish colour

however, as the stainless steel used for piping are often of a lower grade, it will tarnish over the years as well.

so both will not be aesthetically pleasing as time goes by.

however, stainless steel does become brittle when bent

although it depends largely on the skill of the plumber, no plumber will admit that he is not skilled and thus may result in the stainless steel piping being compromised resulting in leakage :unsure:

Copper oxidizes very fast and enhances bacteria growth.

For SS the elbow or union should use Brass materials this will prevent the 2 pc metal to be melted together in the long run. Also once SS tread has been 'locked' for some time it is very hard removing and resulted demaging it so becareful when disconnecting. For SS higher quality you can use ASME 269 316L EP tubing but i don't think pple will use it for homes prices are ex and not commonly available in the market. These grade are used in chemical industrial.

For plastic, the best material should be PVDF/PFA, a kind of plastic. It is retardent to acid and solvents eletment (Ca,Zinc in our water etc). This material is use for dionize water.

HDB stated for the SS pipe to be minimum grade 304, also known as 18-8 stainless steel (18% Chromium and 8% Nickel). But now most installer uses 18-10 grade SS, which is of better grade (18% Chromium and more Nickel, 10%). 316 is used for marine application (18% Chromium, 8% Nickel and 2% Molybdenum), it cost more then double the cost of 18-10.....