Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Justme888

Use Lighting Point To Drive 130W LED Driver?

Hi, currently I have an existing lighting point for a normal lighting fixture.

I plan to replace it with 2 long 24V LED strips that would be powered via a 130W PSU as the LED driver.  

PSU

Input: 230 VAC By Switch 

Output: 24v 14.6A

Any concern to use the existing hidden lighting circuit to connect to the PSU to power up?  

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

if your LED power supply only draws 130W, then should be fine to use. But to be safe, calculate all the power drawn by all the lights in the same lighting circuit and make sure that the total power doesn't exceed 2300W. Lighting circuits are usually protected by a 10A MCB so exceeding 2300W (10A x 230V) will cause trips.

6 hours ago, snoozee said:

if your LED power supply only draws 130W, then should be fine to use. But to be safe, calculate all the power drawn by all the lights in the same lighting circuit and make sure that the total power doesn't exceed 2300W. Lighting circuits are usually protected by a 10A MCB so exceeding 2300W (10A x 230V) will cause trips.

Thank you so much Snooze for the assuring advice.

The total COB LED power consumption is 180W (15W/m x 6m x 2 strips). The PSU is rated 330W (sorry, misquoted earlier as 130W) to have some margin for LED stability.  

I am not sure if the lighting circuit has an earth wire.  Any concern if there is none to ground the PSU?

Thanks once again.

your current light point should be wired such that there is also a Neutral and Earth wires apart from the Live wire. Note that by light point, I mean where your actual light is being installed and not at the light switch.