Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rumi

Solid Surface Or Stainless Steel Sink?

hi folks, any feedback on the pros and cons of using a solid surface sink that integrates with my solid surface top or a stainless steel sink?

Will solid surface sink be easily spoilt? scratched?stained? For e.g. if there is a hot pot of water poured into the sink or the pot is hot and i just placed in the sink?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi what you are looking at is actually known as "cultured Marble". It is NOT marble at all, but material is actually similar to solid surface. Its some kind of engineered plastic / acrylic. I'm not too sure of the technical details.

It will be able to with stand higher temp, compared to solid surface.

Boiling water down the sink will not be a problem.

Take a look at some chalets and hotels, they use the same design too. Boiling water down the sink, no problem. These are engineered materials. Not raw materials.

The pros and cons.

Cultured marble is more expensive compared to stainless steel sink.

Since it is blended to be part of the countertop, if the sink gives problem, ie: damaged due to carelessness like you drop something sharp and heavy, you cannot just replace the sink alone.

BUT, you save money on a stainless steel sink, and cultured marble is not so easy to get damaged. Unless extreme case.

It is also nicer to look at. sleek design.

hi folks, any feedback on the pros and cons of using a solid surface sink that integrates with my solid surface top or a stainless steel sink?

Will solid surface sink be easily spoilt? scratched?stained? For e.g. if there is a hot pot of water poured into the sink or the pot is hot and i just placed in the sink?

My current kitchen sink is solid surface sink (sand colour) but the brand is not Corian.

Pros - it's very neat and stylist when it's new. The colour of your sink will blend in perfectly with your kitchen top.

Cons - There will be scrathes and the sink lost it's shine after 1 year. Curry, coffee and tea will stain your sink. Not easy to wash off. My current kitchen sink no longer in sand colour, it's has turned yellowish. It's expensive as the contactor charged me $600 for this sink 9 years ago.

Ohhh.. so i guess i will go for an undermount non shiny stainless steel.

Thanks so much for ur feedback.

you might want to consider composite sinks too

they are basically sinks that are made of material that contains 70% - 80% granite

tough and resistant to stain

quite a number of us are using the blanco metra9 from hoe kee at $399 :deal:

but this type of sink does not blend with my white solid surface top.

I am getting an undermount stainless steel that is not shiny & it could cost as much as the composite sink as well.

So can anyone recommend which brand of stainless steel sink is gd? Wan something deep and about 1 1/2 bowl length? On a tight budget but wan something to last. By the way top mount or undermount sink is cheaper?

but this type of sink does not blend with my white solid surface top.

I am getting an undermount stainless steel that is not shiny & it could cost as much as the composite sink as well.

So can anyone recommend which brand of stainless steel sink is gd? Wan something deep and about 1 1/2 bowl length? On a tight budget but wan something to last. By the way top mount or undermount sink is cheaper?

I'm getting Rubine. So far the comments about Rubine are fine, and I find sme of their 1 bowl designs very nice. There's a thread on this sink, can check it out. :)

Webbie of Rubine below:

http://www.rubine.com.sg/

Edited by Angel81

The drainage cover of my Rubine stainless steel sink model JUX-610 is BADLY designed - it does not fit snugly into the drainage hole.

Rice & small debris gets trapped at the rim of the cover and they slip down the drainage hole when you remove the cover to discard the debris. Bad design.

Went over to Poh Joo recently, and the salesperson over there recommended me MN sinks over Rubine's. Reason being that their drainage system is better. It's made of ss instead of plastic, which means that it'll take hot liquids better than Rubine.

Hehe, after ur feedback, think I confirm changing my mind to MN. :) Thanks for sharing. :)