Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
koori

Clueless Single's 4Rm Reno

Hi hi....Welcome to RT and congrats on your new home!!! I just bought a 3 room and have intention to knock the storeroom that's sandwiched between living room and kitchen...aka open concept and separated by glass door...I worry about the maintenance too but want to aircondition the living/dining area and need to make the space visually bigger so not much options left.

If you don't do a lot of cooking, actually open kitchen is nice isn't it? Can even do island cum dining area...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi hi....Welcome to RT and congrats on your new home!!! I just bought a 3 room and have intention to knock the storeroom that's sandwiched between living room and kitchen...aka open concept and separated by glass door...I worry about the maintenance too but want to aircondition the living/dining area and need to make the space visually bigger so not much options left.

If you don't do a lot of cooking, actually open kitchen is nice isn't it? Can even do island cum dining area...

Haha...I probably will not be doing a lot of cooking...not planning to air condition the living area. So ya. Open concept kitchen it is. :)

Updates with the photos of the existing condition :

The living room

IMG_1978_zpsffaf5d0a.jpg

The built in display cabinets at the kitchen entrance. I will be taking these down. Not my taste.

IMG_1965_zps906c6420.jpg

Master bedroom

A lot of built in cabinets cramping up the master bedroom. Unable to get a good photo, there is simply no space in here....

This is the view from the doorway.

IMG_1979_zpsa431cff4.jpg

View from beside the bed frame.

IMG_1980_zpsf1c67a44.jpg

Master bathroom

IMG_1981_zps215b4d3f.jpg

Looks like a lot to work on... Are you doing an overhaul to the whole place?

Hi Makanology!

Yes, quite a lot to work on. Major works will be in the kitchen and 2 bathrooms.

Not doing much to the rooms / living room area.

I'm keeping the marble flooring in the rooms - it probably is 'out of fashion' at the moment...but I like the 'cold' stone feel on my feet... LOL.

Contractor told me this is 'good' marble [i dunno how to differentiate though. I only liked the color when i viewed the unit], hopefully should look nice after polishing.

The clueless just discovered the unit has piped gas supply yesterday late evening when applying for the utilities account.

Called up contractor and was advised to arrange to stop the gas supply while renovating....

Called up citygas...they advise the same thing as I'm knocking down the wall tiles. Will need to go to unit and wait for the citygas person to stop supply and remove the pipes tomorrow.....There goes another $60. :bleah:

For the clueless like me....for SP Services accounts (water/electricity) application :

1. Option of going personally to their counter - there is one right at HDB's resale dept, extreme left hand corner (or right hand corner, depending on where you are facing - hiding behind the escalator).

2. Apply online :

http://www.singaporepower.com.sg/irj/portal/ourservices

Depending on where your meters are, you may not need to be there. Meters for my unit were outside the house, so SP services can just take readings the next day after my application. Numbers before are the prior owners, numbers from that day onwards are mine. :)

For gas application, I'm not too sure. My previous owner just happened to have already have piped gas, so I 'took over' the account without needing to re-apply. Was all in one form together with the SP services water and electricity application.

Note, as I mentioned above, there is a $60 charge for temp. stopping supply - the Citygas guy will come take down the gas meter and some pipes in the unit. Better to time the gas supply if you are renovating your kitchen to avoid that extra charge.

Edited by koori

Hi, marble is nice and usually you can save a bit if you are keeping the flooring. There are a lot of built-in cabinets, out of curiosity, are you keeping them?

Hi, marble is nice and usually you can save a bit if you are keeping the flooring. There are a lot of built-in cabinets, out of curiosity, are you keeping them?

Ya, i think I'm saving a nice chunk from the flooring...

Not keeping the cabinets...these are about 15 years old, give or take.

Most of the casement doors are creaking badly. The internal PVC boards are all yellow and are probably giving way sooner or later.

There is one sliding door wardrobe in the MBR which I was considering to keep...but the doors are sort of stuck. Need to apply considerable force to get it to open / close...so decided against it too.

Sorry if the colors are a bit off...I just used my phone camera, can't adjust white balance, exposure, bla bla bla....[not that I know how to.]

Kitchen / Service Balcony/ common bathroom wall tile.

It is actually a greyish white, with white streaks. Contractor called it '象牙色'. [ivory]

IMG_1896_zps437fbb23.jpg

Kitchen floor:

IMG_1893_zpsb89256f0.jpg

Sink & Stove Support

Noob me do not understand this. Was told to pick any tile as it will be hidden from view once the support is done, so colors don't matter...

Think it's probably for the internal part of the sink and stove support.

IMG_1894_zps887387bb.jpg

common bathroom wall tile :

same series as the ivory tile, this one is in black with brown streaks.

will be used in combi with the ivory color.

IMG_1888_zpsde58d72a.jpg

Common bathroom floor tile :

IMG_1887_zps848c50ab.jpg

Edited by koori

Master bathroom wall tile :

Black and white with geometric circles...will be used in combi.

Problem is, not enough stock when I went tiles selecting a month ago. Not sure if they will get enough stocks by the time I start reno...

IMG_1898_zpsa5e63076.jpgIMG_1897_zps1c412071.jpg

This is the more 'Boring" option 2 in case the geometric circles are not available. This one looks almost like plain old black and white...the design on the tile is very subtle and probably can only be seen if it's one big wall. Kind of like scribbles. Heh....

IMG_1899_zps04aeb1b5.jpg

Master bathroom flooring :

IMG_1891_zps8ebddc34.jpg

Yo, Koori, my house layout almost the same with yours except toilets layout and my unit is first unit after life lobby too :good:

Looking forward to see more pictures up !!:thumbs up:

Not much to update for the past few days - was waiting for HDB to approve the renovation permit. Most of the permit got approved yesterday. [the one to shift the common bathroom entrance is still pending]

Contractor says will start work today....I'm working so haven't gone to check it up. Will probably go over to peek later tonite.

edit : the permit for the entrance was approved 21 Feb. Seems like the contractor gets updates faster than I do online. It only reflected as approved on myhdb page on 21 Feb late evening.

Edited by koori