Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kaykay

A Corner 3-Room Flat To Call Home

the dining table looks good... where did u get that from?

Lorenzo Ubi branch. It's their new wood range.

Gotta hurry though. I heard the price went up. I bought it 3 months ago when they newly launched.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

ok thanks. I will KIV first.. cos got to find my ID first... still looking ard... will only get keys in July

PlannedReno.jpg

Hello All ..

Hi KayKay.. ! haha.. i am now a fan of your blog too.. ;);)

our hero is currently busy in action.. will tell him u said hi :jammin:

anyway.. love the breakfast counter idea..! :good: :good: great esp for your children ( or the father ? ) to just grab bkfast on the way out..

oh and your dining table.. gorgeous.. reminds me of my school days... must be the bench style..

one of the units i viewed had the store hacked as well.. owner didnt have a open concept though.. he simply brought in the storage back into the kitchen via full height cabinets..

but not my kind of style though if u ask me..

on a sidenote, pls advice if the air fryer is capable of producing tasty comfort food.. (if you knw what i mean.. hehe )

Cheers!

Edited by KimNaNa

oh.. by the way.. i noticed frm the floor plan, your daughter's room door lead to his brother's door or is that your door?..

or did i interpret wrongly ..

:unsure:

oh.. by the way.. i noticed frm the floor plan, your daughter's room door lead to his brother's door or is that your door?..

or did i interpret wrongly ..

:unsure:

Oh this is embarassing. I forgot to draw a door for the mbr.

See below for the revision.

Yes, the daughter will have to enter her brother's room before exiting the room.

PlannedReno-1.jpg

Hello All ..

Hi KayKay.. ! haha.. i am now a fan of your blog too.. ;);)

our hero is currently busy in action.. will tell him u said hi :jammin:

anyway.. love the breakfast counter idea..! :good: :good: great esp for your children ( or the father ? ) to just grab bkfast on the way out..

oh and your dining table.. gorgeous.. reminds me of my school days... must be the bench style..

one of the units i viewed had the store hacked as well.. owner didnt have a open concept though.. he simply brought in the storage back into the kitchen via full height cabinets..

but not my kind of style though if u ask me..

on a sidenote, pls advice if the air fryer is capable of producing tasty comfort food.. (if you knw what i mean.. hehe )

Cheers!

Woohoo I have my first fan. Thanks for your support KimNaNa.

Yup the breakfast counter could very well turn out to be my favourite spot at this home.. :good:

I personally have not cooked with an air fryer yet, but I have had friends who have, beside of course frying, roasted, baked a cake, steamed clams, and toasted some dried sole fish. Nuggets and fries will be a breeze though.

I must say that it may very well be a "wonder pot".

I am certain you can whip up lots of yummy comfort food in it. Recipes abound online..

Hmmm.. makes me wonder if I can sous vide with it.. Haha.. :idea:

• Like 2

Kaykay I was wondering if you would like to consider sealing the whole stretch of wall and make the 3 doors facing the right side of the wall of the living room.

That way you can have a more uniform look and they did not need to pass each others room when going in or out

(*Juz my 2 cents worth)

• Like 1

Kaykay I was wondering if you would like to consider sealing the whole stretch of wall and make the 3 doors facing the right side of the wall of the living room.

That way you can have a more uniform look and they did not need to pass each others room when going in or out

(*Juz my 2 cents worth)

Hi Songz, Thanks for your suggestion.

This actually has crossed my mind.

However, the mbr door is quite difficult to relocate due to the beam in solid black. Thus a "cave" for 2 bedroom doors will still have to be present. (see this floorplan version below).

FloorPlanStructuralWorks.jpg

The door for the original bedroom also has to be relocated, probably to directly facing the main door. This is to facilitate easy placement of TV / sofa. Having a bedroom door in the middle of the wall shortens the wall dramatically.

The above idea was thrashed, as daughter and wife are both uncomfortable with a bedroom door facing the main door.

I defer though. But I must respect the occupants of the room.

HI Kaykay,

I am also interested in such 31/2 room units. I like the additional "living room" although I am still thinking how to utilise this extra space.

Currently I am eyeing at one unit in Bedok North which has the same layout as yours, but the owner refuse to lower the COV. It is still high at $15K :(

Hopefully he will change his mind and lower to $5k to $8K !

Mike

HI Kaykay,

I am also interested in such 31/2 room units. I like the additional "living room" although I am still thinking how to utilise this extra space.

Currently I am eyeing at one unit in Bedok North which has the same layout as yours, but the owner refuse to lower the COV. It is still high at $15K :(

Hopefully he will change his mind and lower to $5k to $8K !

Mike

Hi Mike, we could very well be neighbours. I'm at Bedok North too.

I was lucky that this seller was in a hurry to sell. Negotiation was easy.

Good luck in your search bro.

Hi Songz, Thanks for your suggestion.

This actually has crossed my mind.

However, the mbr door is quite difficult to relocate due to the beam in solid black. Thus a "cave" for 2 bedroom doors will still have to be present. (see this floorplan version below).

FloorPlanStructuralWorks.jpg

The door for the original bedroom also has to be relocated, probably to directly facing the main door. This is to facilitate easy placement of TV / sofa. Having a bedroom door in the middle of the wall shortens the wall dramatically.

The above idea was thrashed, as daughter and wife are both uncomfortable with a bedroom door facing the main door.

I defer though. But I must respect the occupants of the room.

I see.

Good luck to it, think i also will quite prefer this layout you just put

Oh this is embarassing. I forgot to draw a door for the mbr.

See below for the revision.

Yes, the daughter will have to enter her brother's room before exiting the room.

PlannedReno-1.jpg

Woohoo I have my first fan. Thanks for your support KimNaNa.

Yup the breakfast counter could very well turn out to be my favourite spot at this home.. :good:

I personally have not cooked with an air fryer yet, but I have had friends who have, beside of course frying, roasted, baked a cake, steamed clams, and toasted some dried sole fish. Nuggets and fries will be a breeze though.

I must say that it may very well be a "wonder pot".

I am certain you can whip up lots of yummy comfort food in it. Recipes abound online..

Hmmm.. makes me wonder if I can sous vide with it.. Haha.. :idea:

now that is really a WonderPot..! i contemplate in buying when it first came out.. perhaps i can place that in my wishlist..

back to your doors.. yeah initially i did think of Songz's suggestion abt placing doors on the outside.. but come to think of it, it may seem a little awkward if your daughter's door faces the main door.. you may not even be aware she is home already if she chooses to walk straight it.. hahaha..

nevertheless, i am sure the final layout will be just :thumbs up: .

and i hope i am not too late to say hello Songz !

and.. good luck Mike.. may the bargaining force be with you :jammin:

Edited by KimNaNa

• Like 1

(3) The walls are not aligned right-angle. There is a slight 2-3degree (by my estimation) tilt, making the floor space a trapezium. Although 2-3 degrees do not seem much, running the 2-degree deviant over 4 metres show up the huge difference. Placing furniture will then also be a challenge.

It shows as right angles on the floor plan though. Not funny, HDB...

You are not alone!

Edited by marcel

(3) The walls are not aligned right-angle. There is a slight 2-3degree (by my estimation) tilt, making the floor space a trapezium. Although 2-3 degrees do not seem much, running the 2-degree deviant over 4 metres show up the huge difference. Placing furniture will then also be a challenge.

It shows as right angles on the floor plan though. Not funny, HDB...

You are not alone!

Did you have any difficulties placing furniture, especially at the corners?

now that is really a WonderPot..! i contemplate in buying when it first came out.. perhaps i can place that in my wishlist..

back to your doors.. yeah initially i did think of Songz's suggestion abt placing doors on the outside.. but come to think of it, it may seem a little awkward if your daughter's door faces the main door.. you may not even be aware she is home already if she chooses to walk straight it.. hahaha..

nevertheless, i am sure the final layout will be just :thumbs up: .

and i hope i am not too late to say hello Songz !

and.. good luck Mike.. may the bargaining force be with you :jammin:

I am still kinda undecided.

I like my initial idea too.However, the door facing door issue is one issue I have to overcome myself too,besides getting buy-ins from wife and daughter..

I should clear up my thoughts before end of this week.

Update you guys later.

Let's talk about the working space in the kitchen, my favourite spot at home.

20140304_211043.jpg

Above is my own rough sketch of intended cabinet and breakfast counter.

Bought my single bowl sink from Taobao, 63x43cm. Kinda regretted now not getting a wider sink. Anyways I will work with what I have.. Or should I order another one and sell this smaller one? :bangwall: Wonder if it can reach in time also..

The breakfast counter side will be taller than the rest of the cabinet by about 20cm.

I wonder if my idea of electrical sockets on the cabinet can work out though.

Total workspace width of the cabinet will be 10ft.The breakfast counter top will extend it by another 3ft.

Notice I am not building wall hung cabinets at the top. I truly want an open concept kitchen. :notti:

I hope I have sufficient cabinet space to keep clutter out of view.