Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

And Hacking Continues...

image.jpg

This is currently the space between our metal gate and the wooden door. Hacking would be done to push out the wooden door closer to the metal gate to create a longer indoor passageway as well as open up the dry kitchen beside.

image.jpg

In the midst of hacking... Slowly but steady!

image.jpg

Looking from the dining area where the island would be located.

And More Hacking!

image.jpg

This is the wall of my master bedroom toilet. See the hammer symbol on the wall? This has to go!!!

image.jpg

And whack the wall we did... As far back as the design allow us :)

image.jpg

The existing pipe layout. Also gives us the opportunity to see how best to run the new aircon pipings. 

image.jpg

Another perspective of the master bedroom toilet with the front wall now totally hacked away.

image.jpg

A step-back view of our master bedroom with the toilet on the right and the stairs up to the dining and kitchen areas.

Edited by SimplePersonSimpleLife

And The Masonry Works Begin...

image.jpg

These were all the tiles that we shortlisted for each area. The idea of stacking them by sections/areas of the house (as well as all the choices for that particular section) was meant to allow us to visualise how the tiles would look like when one section meet another.

image.jpg

Anyway, side track a bit… This is the real timber flooring that both my wife and myself we were exploring because they look gorgeously beautiful! Unfortunately they do come at a steep price so in the end we have to settle for the second best… in the form of timber-lookalike tiles

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

For all our tiles, we actually sourced them from a grand total of 5 different suppliers… Guess Bernard must be screaming deep inside…

House In Its "Rawest" Form

image.jpg

image.jpg

Excited to see the walls being hacked away here! See the lines on the ground where the walls used to be... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bags of of cement for the tonnes of masonry works that were coming up

image.jpg

image.jpg

Making Absolutely Everything Goes To Plan...

image.jpg

What do you do when you are a perfectionist? You make sure you leave nothing to chance including how tiles are laid... The direction, the grouting, the intersection... Everything... So we always make sure Berd was fully aware what tile to use especially where 2 different tile types meet.

image.jpg

Another sketch by Berd illustrating the layout of tiles in our master bedroom toilet.

image.jpg

All the details right down to how rectangular tiles should be arranged. This is so called the "a-b-a" arrangement.

image.jpg

The "a-b-c-a" arrangement which we went with eventually.

Woww it's a big unit and I like the step down from dining to living and I saw one "small stair" to enter master room... looking forward to see the end result 

On 6 June 2016 at 9:37 PM, trcd said:

Oh, sorry, hadn't realised! :lol:

Do carry on posting please! Would love to see the end result! 

@trcd, no worries! Look like you are enjoying your reno works at the same time!

2 hours ago, pankponk said:

Woww it's a big unit and I like the step down from dining to living and I saw one "small stair" to enter master room... looking forward to see the end result 

@pankponk, yes! Exactly my same sentiments. Beside the lovely view of the gardens, what also drawn me to this unit is the stairs down from dining to living, creating a higher dining space overseeing the living room. 

However my wife's initial design was to close off the existing door/steps at the master bedroom area to open up the toilet space (which means no steps into the master bedroom...) but luckily due to design constraints where we cannot hack other walls to create a new entrance, I was spared this misery of losing that flights of steps!

Tile Layout Plan

image.jpg

Above was the tile layout plan that we got Berd to draw up before we agreed for him to start work on this area. This also allowed us to understand where the starting "complete" tile is as well as the ending "incomplete" tile. 

Floor Trap...

Rather than the usual silver metal or white plastic floor traps that you see in 93.4271% of the households here in Singapore, we thought we should spend some time to see how to make this more aesthetically appealing or at least blend in with the rest of the design. The last that we want to avoid is when we spend so much time and money on selecting a particular tile and then when it comes to floor trap, we got let down usually by the conventional floor trap that contractor would use for almost all projects. Which is why we thought we also invest some time to look at some other options.

image.jpg

This was actually one of the floor traps customised by a fellow forum user (pls let me know if you are that person so at least I could provide due credit to you in this posting as I got this a few years back). This is actually a very nice modification to an otherwise a boring metal floor trap. The matt black is not only aesthetically beautiful but guess the floor trap might as well become a centerpiece in the design itself! 

image.jpg

This was the floor trap that we decided to use eventually. This is actually quite common in commercial and some condominium projects. We thought that this is a good option for us given such floor trap allows the floor trap to blend in with other floor tiles to create at least a more continuous flow as compared to a conventional silver or white floor trap which would have contrasted with the neighbouring tiles. 

Floor And Wall Works In Progress

image.jpg

The new brick wall demarcating wet and dry kitchen areas

image.jpg

Look how the wet kitchen windows face out to the common corridor? That was also one of the reasons we went for the idea to create a dual kitchen space in the form of a wet kitchen and a dry kitchen space which would be separated by the new wall you saw above as well as a huge wooden door to give us the privacy we need.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tiling - Common Bathroom

image.jpg

Wall tiles up at the common bathroom. The choice of tile was a tad too strong for me but wife reassured me that this would turn out well. Eventually, decided to go with her decision though I suspect I do not have too much of a choice actually :)

image.jpg

Another view of the common toilet.

image.jpg

Pipes were exposed and so the idea were to close this area up.

image.jpg

How the floor trap looks like. Note that there is s minimum depth requirement so if the floor is not deep enough, this option would not work!

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 6/10/2016 at 3:58 PM, SimplePersonSimpleLife said:

@trcd, no worries! Look like you are enjoying your reno works at the same time!

@pankponk, yes! Exactly my same sentiments. Beside the lovely view of the gardens, what also drawn me to this unit is the stairs down from dining to living, creating a higher dining space overseeing the living room. 

However my wife's initial design was to close off the existing door/steps at the master bedroom area to open up the toilet space (which means no steps into the master bedroom...) but luckily due to design constraints where we cannot hack other walls to create a new entrance, I was spared this misery of losing that flights of steps!

fiuuhh lucky no need to remove the steps to master bedroom :D 

Can share for the black matte floor trap where to buy or is it DIY? 

6 hours ago, pankponk said:

fiuuhh lucky no need to remove the steps to master bedroom :D 

Can share for the black matte floor trap where to buy or is it DIY? 

Hey @pankponk, this was actually a DIY floor trap done up by a fellow forumer some time back. Too bad I don't seem to be able to find back that thread but if my memory serves me well, he actually took the usual floor trap and spray that matt black! Not too sure how that would last over time though...