Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mudball

Our 5rm Chai Chee Apartment At Bedok

This is my 2nd time renovating a HDB flat. Last time was my parents' flat and we had very bad experience. This time, I trusted some of the recommendation thread from reno talk and contact a few recommended ID. Due to limited budget, we decided to go with the lowest quotation of all.

Since we planned to stay in this house for a very long time, for my wife, new born baby and my parents, we wanted it to be as nice as possible under the budget.

Nowaday, HDB flat is really expensive. an un-reno flat can also fetch big money. ai~~~

floor plan of the flat before reno:

currenthousefloorplan.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Living room got a belcony. But the belcony is facing west. What's the point of sitting in the hot afternoon sun in the belcony?

bedok001.jpg

snc00020o.jpg

Kitchen got a stone kitchen cabinet. My mum is thinking whether we should keep it because it can last longer... but my wife and I don't like such old style. :(

bedok002.jpg

Toilet got some ugly pipe. Another things to hide with the reno. more $$ to spend :(

snc00025p.jpg

Edited by mudball

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

After some research at the library, we decided to

1. take out the belcony and make the living room bigger

2. demolish the old kitchen and make the living room even bigger

3. Use the service belcony near to the original kitchen to be the new kitchen

4. Demolish the old maid room and construct a study room out of mainly glass material. That will make the living room even bigger, and give us a sizable study room/guest room at the same time.

Here is the planned floor plan after reno:

newfloorplann.jpg

Here are some picture we scanned from library book. We used these pictures to show to all the reno ID and ask them to reno my house according this standard and style. Wuahahaha.

renovation010.jpg

reno007.jpg

hdb48.jpg

I like to read lying beside the window. But HDB windows are all quite high.

Then, we also want a bed for the guest at the study.

So, finally we settle for a day-bed similar to the design picture below

reno008.jpg

reno started in june.

demolish the balcony overhead beam with PE approval

img0281n.jpg

bro, is this the RC structural member, allowed by HDB? I remember HDB ruling is even though it is allowed to hack walls, any exposure of steel structures during the course of the demolition work, the lessee is not allowed to proceed with the renovation work and to inform Branch Office immediately....

bro, is this the RC structural member, allowed by HDB? I remember HDB ruling is even though it is allowed to hack walls, any exposure of steel structures during the course of the demolition work, the lessee is not allowed to proceed with the renovation work and to inform Branch Office immediately....

The branch officer came up to see the demolition himself and allowed to proceed. :D

Bro, so how much u spent for this reno? :P

total 40k. May need to add 1~2k later as I asked them to build 1 more cabinet towards the end of the reno

The branch officer came up to see the demolition himself and allowed to proceed. :D

but the steel structures cannot be cut and removed away right? or they say can? if everything can remove, then the living room ceiling will even look bigger :)

Edited by neubie

but the steel structures cannot be cut and removed away right? or they say can? if everything can remove, then the living room ceiling will even look bigger :)

of course not everything. He said it depends on the beam itself. The balcony beam was a very thin one. Remember that he said something about less than certain cm. Other beams in the living room bigger than that cm width cannot remove.

Demolish the ugly window and window grid at study room and living hall.

Changed to something clear and white. And lay the floor with marble like tiles

img0435h.jpg

img0544k.jpg

your floor kilat kilat wor... :) what is that L thing on the floor and column? some partition?

Edited by neubie