Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
heim

Renovating Is Never Easy :((

contractor or id - still undecided!

OR

perhaps a contractor?? since we've our own concept ")

Floorplan.jpg

the house is in pretty good condition (other than being dated). ugly pipes & cornices, toilet and kitchen look kind of dark and no direct sunlight :(

dislikes the fooring.. too dark

photo3-1.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

yooo! congrats in getting your house! your layout is nice.

in general, people have the thinking that contractors' pricing is cheaper than IDs'. But during my reno sourcing days, there are couple of contractors who priced almost like IDs. My conclusion is that: pricing does not soley depend if he is a contractor, or an ID. For my case, my ID quoted me the lowest among all 20+ quotations that i have received. These include popular contractors like Vincent (Ideas4Room) and etc...

Due to low budget, i went beyond just engaging a single ID to cover all my reno tasks. Refer to my sign-off. I direct source for big ticekt items like air-con, windows, glass work, electrical work, and etc... The coordination is tiring from my end, but my ID did help me even though he doesnt need to. heng lor..

Thanks steelze!! Message well received :)

I was very excited to start planning, but now the sourcing process is making it stressful! :(

Edited by heim

tadaaa my first draft.. feel free to comment

it's a pretty straightforward layout. main concern - to bring in natural light into dining/living and kitchen

should i hack away the store room or extend? hmm

my-first-design1.jpg

Please don't hack away the storeroom unless

1)you have plenty of storage cabinet in your house

2)you hardly go shopping

3)you don't have any collection

My current house's storeroom was hacked away by the previous owner and the space is extended as part of MBR. It is a nightmare to us. We have too much things. It all landed in the 3rd bedroom, wasted a greater space.

Imagine where you want to put these if you have no storeroom: bicycle, tool box, vacuum cleaner, boxes of 3C stuff, luggage, bags....and even the oldnewspaper before the karung guni comes...

tadaaa my first draft.. feel free to comment

it's a pretty straightforward layout. main concern - to bring in natural light into dining/living and kitchen

should i hack away the store room or extend? hmm

Please don't hack away the storeroom unless

1)you have plenty of storage cabinet in your house

2)you hardly go shopping

3)you don't have any collection

I agree but I don't think TS is hacking away the storeroom... rather, he is expanding it??

I suggest that you don't shift the kitchen door... cuz if you orientate towards the rooms, the fumes from cooking will move towards the rooms... think it is better in its original location... better flow as well from kitchen to dining area...

@whisper: no hacking either remain as it is or extend - to create a consistent layout

@strikingreality: have to shift the kitchen door :( because the current loc too dark (ying) and stuffy. my intention is to bring in natural light into kitchen. xx stress xx

with lights on

kitchen_yard.jpg

photo2.jpg

@strikingreality: have to shift the kitchen door :( because the current loc too dark (ying) and stuffy. my intention is to bring in natural light into kitchen. xx stress xx

Nothing like an open plan kitchen then. :P

Hack ALL the walls!

nice layout planning you got there! can i ask where is this unit from? resale 5room in the east? the layout looks pretty new compared to those in the late 80s or early 90s like mine.

nice layout planning you got there! can i ask where is this unit from? resale 5room in the east? the layout looks pretty new compared to those in the late 80s or early 90s like mine.

thanks! yeah its easy to plan & design except the kitchen/dining area too dark and stuffy

nope its ea @ west side, jurong east.. it's pretty new coming 13 years old

Do u intend to have open kitchen concept?

What about knocking down the wall between kitchen and service balcony? Use clear sliding window to allow more light to come in :) my 2 cents worth ....

Do u intend to have open kitchen concept?

What about knocking down the wall between kitchen and service balcony? Use clear sliding window to allow more light to come in :) my 2 cents worth ....

Cant have open concept coz of the structure wall :(

Yeah will hack away the wall between kitchen and service balcony and change all the windows. currently the windows are dark tinted probably that's the cause

With the structural wall and extended storeroom, then those areas cannot hack already. You might wanna do a counter then from the structural wall to the common toilet. For common toilet, why don't you want to maintain the two doors opening to the room corridor and service balcony?

Your unit is in Toh Guan area?

Cant have open concept coz of the structure wall :(

Yeah will hack away the wall between kitchen and service balcony and change all the windows. currently the windows are dark tinted probably that's the cause

If the wall between the kitchen & service balcony is hacked, then wouldn't the toilets' windows open to the expanded kitchen?

Actually natural light can brighten an area up to 5m from the opening, and it can't bend a corner.

Cheers!

If the wall between the kitchen & service balcony is hacked, then wouldn't the toilets' windows open to the expanded kitchen?

Actually natural light can brighten an area up to 5m from the opening, and it can't bend a corner.

Cheers!

yep will have a small window towards the service balcony. hehe didnt know that :)