Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
originalbread

Originalbread's Humble Abode

I have first started off initially as a blog on renotalk. but a number of users couldn't find my posts, expecting them to be under t-blog, so will change to post here instead.

I'm lazy to re-post the old stuff. Click below for the earlier posts.

The search is over

Progress is slow

Toilet window ok?

feel free to give your comments.

thanks

Edited by originalbread

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hello originalbread, just to share with u what i know abt ur toilet window... The wire mesh u see is actually meant to hold the glass incase falling object breaks it n yes its a safety requirement set by hdb. Dont worry about the window being translucent because its mosaic censored. Try close the window n look out, can u see anything ? Set the window at around 45 degree and u will be quite safe from preying eyes.

Regarding slow progress, ... Moderate ur supervision because different renovation work takes time to settle, no point rushing the contractor where u may end up with an undesirable result.

hello originalbread, just to share with u what i know abt ur toilet window... The wire mesh u see is actually meant to hold the glass incase falling object breaks it n yes its a safety requirement set by hdb. Dont worry about the window being translucent because its mosaic censored. Try close the window n look out, can u see anything ? Set the window at around 45 degree and u will be quite safe from preying eyes.

Regarding slow progress, ... Moderate ur supervision because different renovation work takes time to settle, no point rushing the contractor where u may end up with an undesirable result.

Thanks Speed45 for the clarification. Becos my mum's place is the frosted/tinted glass type, so when the contractor gave me these, I was quite taken aback. No, I can't see outside, just have to set the window at a certain angle like you suggested.

Haha, that window mesh looks quite retro.

Ya, I just monitor and I think he knows I monitor rather closely as almost every other day I will ask him how come certain things are done certain way or I don't like the worksmanship of certain part. But agree that no point rushing him, especially when I'm really not in a hurry to move in... I rather he do a good job.

No nice photos to show for the house yet. The wiring all done. Tiling completed. Also got the carpentry drawings out of the way. But its coming to 6 weeks!

I bought some lights over the weekend.

No money to buy this:

225445_172661086125187_3013682_n.jpg

(image from Pomelo Home)

So when I saw this at Light+form concept, I instantly fell for it:

lights-for-living-room.JPG?et=%2CJg5Q6Qs6YlCjIWARIBF5g&nmid=611609410

Not as nice as Pomelo Home but I got to buy something more affordable after spending a bomb on renovation...

This is meant for living room. I like the industrial look, 7 bulbs at 20W each. Sure bright enough. Double confirmed with shop that it is energy saving. As I do not have any false ceiling or cove light or lights installed on fan, thought this would be good for the front part of the long living hall. But a friend thought I crazy, 140W for a living room, sure bright till can't open eyes. What do you all think? Maybe I should change before collection? :unsure:

Got this for study, similar design but 3 bulbs and I chose white light.

study-lights.JPG?et=tY4weQMFojE4o51c98h3uw&nmid=611609410 I also requested for black holder and code.

I've got almost all the lights except for master bedroom, a wall light for hanging art and a desk lamp for dressing table. I was thinking of getting a floor lamp too beside the sofa so that I could read when sitting under the fan without lights. But perhaps my friend is right, 140W is already an overkill. Jialat, always so undecisive. Should I go change that living room light? :dunno:

Edited by originalbread

and i bought these for my dining. ul_cyrus_wht_m.gif

For the second portion of my long living room, I only have one light above the dining and another spotlight which couldn't be counted much for lighting up the space. Hopefully the shape of the shade will diffuse the light more than creating a focused spot.

I would love a PH5, which seems to illuminate both the ceiling and downwards, if only I could afford...

Edited by originalbread

I think this will work like u said due to the shape of the lamp shade. But most likely it will only illuminate the area under it. If u r unsure, u could ask the salesperson from the shop.

Do you have any downlights in your living area? I don't so am so thankful that the light chosen are bright enough.

Oh yes, I think you can consider the round light I bought for my living area for ur MBR. I bought from lightcraft. They have pretty nice lights there too!

For the second portion of my long living room, I only have one light above the dining and another spotlight which couldn't be counted much for lighting up the space. Hopefully the shape of the shade will diffuse the light more than creating a focused spot.

I would love a PH5, which seems to illuminate both the ceiling and downwards, if only I could afford...

Edited by kenjo

Yes, the sales person said this should be more ideal than the other pendants. No I don't have downlights too.

The round light you bought fr lightcraft is the one you mil says will create a softer look? that's nice too, but the pleat like pattern around the rim is fabric? I also concerned about dust sticking on fabric hard to wipe off. That's why the Chan Huat round light seems like a gd choice. Anyway, if I can't find suitable light for the mbr, got to ask the contractor on whether he can do for me later...

I think this will work like u said due to the shape of the lamp shade. But most likely it will only illuminate the area under it. If u r unsure, u could ask the salesperson from the shop.

Do you have any downlights in your living area? I don't so am so thankful that the light chosen are bright enough.

Oh yes, I think you can consider the round light I bought for my living area for ur MBR. I bought from lightcraft. They have pretty nice lights there too!

Yes, it is fabric. I guess cannot wipe... need to vaccum.

No harm asking! All the best for your reno!

Yes, the sales person said this should be more ideal than the other pendants. No I don't have downlights too.

The round light you bought fr lightcraft is the one you mil says will create a softer look? that's nice too, but the pleat like pattern around the rim is fabric? I also concerned about dust sticking on fabric hard to wipe off. That's why the Chan Huat round light seems like a gd choice. Anyway, if I can't find suitable light for the mbr, got to ask the contractor on whether he can do for me later...

How much n where u get this light?

Did u draw up ur kitchen drawing? Pretty nice... Im still not able to design my ideal kitchen cabinets... :( but ideas are swarming inside my head...

Hope u'll have a smooth reno journey..

kitchen+drawing+7+Sep+e.jpg

my kitchen cabinet sketch