Like any other plumbing fixture, septic tanks also require maintenance, care and attention by homeowners. Many people are unaware of the need for care for septic tanks. Hence, a detailed systematic action plan has been discussed below to help homeowners in maintaining their septic tanks in the best manner. If the following guideline is used, then the requirement of a plumber can be reduced.
Guidelines for care of a septic tank include:
· The very first step is to understand a septic tank properly. You can either talk to a plumbing contractor for a proper explanation or use the internet for detailed information about the kind of septic tank you have. The septic tank is used to clean water that consists of solid waste and scum.
· The second step is to make sure that the septic tank is given enough time to separate the waste from the water. If the tank is not given enough time, the waste will not be removed properly. Hence, one should conserve water as much as possible and watch out on the consumption of water in the house. Faucets should not be left open, other fixtures in the house should not be leaking, high efficiency fixtures should be installed, all the laundry should not be done in one day and must be distributed over the week.
· The third step is to avoid the placement of heavy objects right above the tank. Things like pool, cars, cement and shed etc. should be kept at a distance.
· Markings on the ground above should be made to make sure that the growth of trees does not affect the functioning of your septic tank.
· Chemicals and other non-biodegradable things such as plastic should not be flushed down the drain. Some of these things include, diapers, tooth picks, feminine products, cigarettes, litter of any sort, tissues, gauze tape, paper towels, condoms, paint, grease, and bleach. All these things tend to interfere in the effective working of the septic tank.
· Households with septic tanks must never get a garbage disposal. The drain field can clog due to the garbage and cause a serious problem.
· Pumping and cleaning of the tank should be done periodically. Certain factors upon which the pumping depends is the number of people in the house, the amount of water consumption and the size of the septic tank. Plumbing service is required for the purpose.
Please share your experpice with septic tanks
Visit at - Los Gatos Plumber Plumber Los Gatos