Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Cheerful

Air-con: System 3 Or 4 ?

Hi,

I intend to aircon my whole hse - 3 bedrms + Living/Dining Areas. I have already shortlisted Non-inverter Mitshibishi Electric. Pls advise the following:

Do you think I should get a System 3 (3 bedrms) + another System 2(living+dining areas), a total of 2 compressors for the aircon ledge?

Or just a System 4 for my 3 bedrms +living/dining areas?

Or a System 3 for my 3 bedrms and a Single Split aircon (of course higher BTU) for my living/dining areas?

My flat is of regular shape and of 90 sqm.

Also how many models of Non-Inverter Mitshibishi are there in the market now? Which one is the best, in terms of savings and efficiency?

Thanks for advise !!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

It depends on your lifestyle and expected daily usuage pattern. So you can plan your load balancing.

For your bedrooms - will all 3 bedrooms have the aircon units switched on at nights? If yes, system 3 will not be advisable. You will strain the compressor.

If I were to be in your situation, I would like to do the following. But do check with your aircon contractor to enquire if that's the best thing to do, in terms of cost & installation, electricity cost and cooling efficiency:-

Assumptions:-

- MBR aircon switched on all night

- one other bedroom switched on all night (bedroom 1)

- bedroom 2 + bedroom 3 (only occasionally)

1) MBR single unit

2) Bedroom 1 + Bedroom 2 + Bedroom 3 >> System 3

3) Living + Dining >> System 2

If 2 bedrooms are expected to have aircon switched on all night, then I would suggest:-

Bedroom 1 + Dining Room + Bedroom 3 >> System 3

Bedroom 2 + Living Room >> System 2

is it worth spending $$ to do air con in the living room?

Everyone is discouraging me from doing it but i don't like my guest to come to my house and feel sticky after a while.

I went to some of my friends' house and it's quite unpleasant after a while

Everyone is discouraging me from doing it but i don't like my guest to come to my house and feel sticky after a while.

I think you have answered your own question.

And yes, air-conditioning the living room when you have a party/gathering is definitely great. On a day to day basis, a good ceiling fan or couple of floor fans would suffice.

Hi,

I only on the aircon in my MBR only at times when it is hot, not every night.After consideration, i m thinking of non-inverter System 4 cos i dont lke the idea of too many trunkings hanging in the house if i go for system 3+system 2.

Wat do u think?

Hi Teodami,

Well, it would also depend on the location of your home.

Does it face the west side ?

Is it block by other flat ?

Are u at the lower floor ?

If NO is your answer, I believe you will get breeze when you open your living room window. Then, you may jolly well, save the money to have a ceiling fan.

Cheers !

It depends on your lifestyle and expected daily usuage pattern. So you can plan your load balancing.

For your bedrooms - will all 3 bedrooms have the aircon units switched on at nights? If yes, system 3 will not be advisable. You will strain the compressor.

If I were to be in your situation, I would like to do the following. But do check with your aircon contractor to enquire if that's the best thing to do, in terms of cost & installation, electricity cost and cooling efficiency:-

Assumptions:-

- MBR aircon switched on all night

- one other bedroom switched on all night (bedroom 1)

- bedroom 2 + bedroom 3 (only occasionally)

1) MBR single unit

2) Bedroom 1 + Bedroom 2 + Bedroom 3 >> System 3

3) Living + Dining >> System 2

If 2 bedrooms are expected to have aircon switched on all night, then I would suggest:-

Bedroom 1 + Dining Room + Bedroom 3 >> System 3

Bedroom 2 + Living Room >> System 2

Hi, can i know when you advise System 2 for Living + Dining, you are assuming a large area for living & dining? my place is very small, a 90sqm 4 room flat.. Was actually thinking of only having system 4. One aircon each in the 3 bedrooms, and only 1 for the dining/living area (which is not segregated).. anyway, i seldom on the aircon for the living/dining area. but usage in at least 2 of the bedrooms will be nightly..

Hi, can i know when you advise System 2 for Living + Dining, you are assuming a large area for living & dining? my place is very small, a 90sqm 4 room flat.. Was actually thinking of only having system 4. One aircon each in the 3 bedrooms, and only 1 for the dining/living area (which is not segregated).. anyway, i seldom on the aircon for the living/dining area. but usage in at least 2 of the bedrooms will be nightly..

I see. That means you will have a total of 4 rooms. So instead of system 4, I think you should go for 2 sets of System 2. I will only go for System 4, if at any one time, only 2 aircons will be used. I do not encourage a System 4, if 3 units or all 4 units will be switched on. If you have a party and switch on all 4 units, I believe you will strain your compressor and it won't be long before you will need to change.

Cavaet - I am only speaking from experience. Do get an aircon company to advise you properly.

:dancingqueen: Go for a System 3 + System 2.

System 3 you can look for a unit which cannot supply more BTU to master room or any higher end compressor which can supply higher BTU to all fan coil unit. A normal HDB room average about 900 if i am not wrong.

System 2 for your living dining.

Don't just look at mitsubishi alone.........there are many more out there. You are buying air-con, not paying for advertisment cost.

Hi,

My flat is also very small, 90 sqm. There r 3 bedrms icluding the MBR.My living area is separated from the Dining area, look like a L shape.

My usage is only on 1 aircon at the MBR nightly, but not the other aircons. My living area aircon will only be on when there r guests, you can say it is occassionally only.

Baes on my usage,what do you think is the best combination for the hse aircon?I have been thinking of Mitbusbishi Non-inverter Sysyem 4 or do u think 2 compressors is more advisable? Thanks for advice.

Yes, I still recommend a System 2. Your current needs may be only 1 bedroom with aircon switched on nightly. What about the future? Perhaps when the kids come along, or when another bedroom is to be occupied by parents or relatives?

Just make sure you do not link both bedrooms to one compressor. It should be one bedroom to say living room, and the other bedroom with dining room.

I always tell my friends to prepare for family expansion or needs expansion. It's best that we depend on natural ventilation but in the eventuality that you need airconditioning, it's better to have more than less.

Yes, I still recommend a System 2. Your current needs may be only 1 bedroom with aircon switched on nightly. What about the future? Perhaps when the kids come along, or when another bedroom is to be occupied by parents or relatives?

Just make sure you do not link both bedrooms to one compressor. It should be one bedroom to say living room, and the other bedroom with dining room.

I always tell my friends to prepare for family expansion or needs expansion. It's best that we depend on natural ventilation but in the eventuality that you need airconditioning, it's better to have more than less.

Hi Chunky Monkey,

I have similar requirements - i.e. 3 bedrms, living + dining.

Initially I was thinking Sys 3 inverter for the 3 bedrms and Sys 2 non-inverter for the living/dining.

I'm quite sure at least 3 bedrms (master + 1 common) will have aircon on at night.

So, if I follow your suggestion, i.e. Living + 2 common bedrms to Sys 3 and Dining + master to Sys 2,

then I will end up having both the outdoor unit on nightly. But if I use Sys 3 for bedrms and Sys 2

for dining+living, then only 1 outdoor unit will be on nightly.

I'm not sure the impact of having all 3 bedrms stress the compressor as you mention as compare to

having both outdoor unit running nightly.

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Just to share the quotes I obtained from GC.

Are the quotes reasonable ?

Each quote is based on :

- Grade 22 (thickness=0.71mm) copper pipe

- Class 1 rubber insulation

- 16mm drain pipe

- Inclusive of stainless steel brackets

SETUP 1 (System 3 + System 2)

========================

System 3 (S$3035)

---------

Outdoor : Mitsubishi Electric MXY-3A28VA

Indoor :

1 x MSXY-GA13VA (3.5 kW) - Master Bedroom.

2 x MSXY-GA10VA (2.5 kW) - Bedroom 2 and 3.

System 2 (S$2170)

---------

Outdoor : Mitsubishi Electric MUX-2B24VB

Indoor :

2 x MS-B13VB - Living and Dining.

SETUP 2 (System 4)

===============

System 4 (S$4098)

---------

Outdoor : Mitsubishi Electric MXY-4A28VA

Indoor :

1 x MSXY-GA26VA (7.1 kW) - Living and Dining.

1 x MSXY-GA13VA (3.5 kW) - Master Bedroom.

2 x MSXY-GA10VA (2.5 kW) - Bedroom 2 and 3.

Hi,

I am not sure I understand your descriptions. It's a little confusing.

Outdoor unit? You mean the compressor?

How much bigger is your master bedroom compared to the other 2 smaller bedrooms? If all 3 bedrooms will need airconditioning at night, then I would not recommend that you get a System 3, and stress one compressor. You should share the load of airconditioning 3 rooms with 2 compressors. And the next questions is which rooms to pair with dining and living.

I guess the living room and dining room airconditioning would be only when you have parties, correct?

Let me have more information on your usuage expectations and then I will comment again.

Hi Chunky Monkey,

I have similar requirements - i.e. 3 bedrms, living + dining.

Initially I was thinking Sys 3 inverter for the 3 bedrms and Sys 2 non-inverter for the living/dining.

I'm quite sure at least 3 bedrms (master + 1 common) will have aircon on at night.

So, if I follow your suggestion, i.e. Living + 2 common bedrms to Sys 3 and Dining + master to Sys 2,

then I will end up having both the outdoor unit on nightly. But if I use Sys 3 for bedrms and Sys 2

for dining+living, then only 1 outdoor unit will be on nightly.

I'm not sure the impact of having all 3 bedrms stress the compressor as you mention as compare to

having both outdoor unit running nightly.

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

SETUP 1 (System 3 + System 2)

========================

System 3 (S$3035)

---------

Outdoor : Mitsubishi Electric MXY-3A28VA

System 2 (S$2170)

---------

Outdoor : Mitsubishi Electric MUX-2B24VB

SETUP 2 (System 4)

===============

System 4 (S$4098)

---------

Outdoor : Mitsubishi Electric MXY-4A28VA

Is this a fair comparison? The 2 proposals are vastly different in cooling capacity. Setup 1 is almost double the cooling capacity of Setup2.

And.. need to know the sqft of each room before can comment is enough or not.